Burners' Backyards: Veggies, Gardening, Landscape & Design

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Roughed out a plan (mostly for the missus to visualise it) a fire pit area with 5 sided (lol) hexagon seating. Will set 5 100x100 posts in concrete for the bench seating uprights, then once the seating is done, will most likely concrete the whole area with some brick paver accents.

View attachment 397792
A little closer to a completed firepit area, just in time for summer!

Benches finished sans a coat of paint.

Now onto the paving.
Compress_20230917_194452_2134.jpg

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I'd debated this one for ages, sleepers weren't going to follow the curves, sandstone blocks we're too expensive and necessitate machinery access which would have been difficult, Besser blocks would need a lot of footing work that I could have just poured a concrete wall with a curved form. I'd never really liked Gabion walls, the top mesh panel always just looked untidy to me so I've stopped the internal separation panels a few squares from the top and now they just get hidden by the last layer of rock. Best of all it can be easily completed by one man and a barrow and it worked out pretty cheap using the oversized Basalt.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I know that you don't have any reason to look but have you seen the price of car tyres these days!
When I built my backyard out of them, the tyre shop nearly paid me to take them...but that was nearly 10 years ago now.

Funny thing about that, and surely I'm not alone here either...I had a very shithouse backyard. Locals will know the Islington of old to some degree, well I was on fern St. It was a mix of industrial and residential going back a very long way. The soil was a fucked up mix of coal dust, spot/ash, rubble, litter, and sand. The deepest I dug down there was about 3 feet and it was still heavy with old broken up bricks and similar. It was wrapped around a cracked and fucked concrete slab with a hills hoist in the middle. Anyway I gave about zero fucks for yard maintenance the grass was waste deep for most of my ownership! Then (foolishly?) A woman moved in with me (we had been on/off/on/off for a very long time by then) and I had the house revalued which triggered a bit of a clean up. I decided to landscape the yard to some degree.

Being a bit hard up for cash at the time I decided to build up the garden bed out of car tyres...tiered up to 3 tyres high then fill them with compost (mostly coffee grounds) and potting mix. I think I've talked about this before, so hopefully not boring anyone too much yet. Ummmm...the woman involved was unable to envision where this was going and expressed the doubt fairly clearly quite often "this is stupid" and "it looks like shit" kind of talk. After about 3 months (I used to be a really good gardener) I had a the garden greened out and under control without very much work at all, just some very selective planting (mostly plants that I liked but grow like pests and some fruit trees I got for free).

where was I going with this? Ummmm...not once did I get anything like a "oh...now I see it,chat was a good idea".

not sure how this all relates.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
When I built my backyard out of them, the tyre shop nearly paid me to take them...but that was nearly 10 years ago now.

Funny thing about that, and surely I'm not alone here either...I had a very shithouse backyard. Locals will know the Islington of old to some degree, well I was on fern St. It was a mix of industrial and residential going back a very long way. The soil was a fucked up mix of coal dust, spot/ash, rubble, litter, and sand. The deepest I dug down there was about 3 feet and it was still heavy with old broken up bricks and similar. It was wrapped around a cracked and fucked concrete slab with a hills hoist in the middle. Anyway I gave about zero fucks for yard maintenance the grass was waste deep for most of my ownership! Then (foolishly?) A woman moved in with me (we had been on/off/on/off for a very long time by then) and I had the house revalued which triggered a bit of a clean up. I decided to landscape the yard to some degree.

Being a bit hard up for cash at the time I decided to build up the garden bed out of car tyres...tiered up to 3 tyres high then fill them with compost (mostly coffee grounds) and potting mix. I think I've talked about this before, so hopefully not boring anyone too much yet. Ummmm...the woman involved was unable to envision where this was going and expressed the doubt fairly clearly quite often "this is stupid" and "it looks like shit" kind of talk. After about 3 months (I used to be a really good gardener) I had a the garden greened out and under control without very much work at all, just some very selective planting (mostly plants that I liked but grow like pests and some fruit trees I got for free).

where was I going with this? Ummmm...not once did I get anything like a "oh...now I see it,chat was a good idea".

not sure how this all relates.
Please post some pics of how it looks now so we can see how great/crap it looks after 10 years.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ahh yes, now I read your post again that is apparent...

I've been thinking about doing a progress post of my own yard/shed build. Still a ways to go but achieved the milestone of permit sign off recently.

The last I saw of the garden was in a state of good and bad. I was asked to care for friends' 2 dogs for a few days (some sort of family emergency) just before the sale settled. The little terrors had loved running around my small yard which busted up a bunch of the plants, leaving patches of exposed tyre. The buyer hadn't noticed the tyres when inspecting...and they didn't say anything on their final inspection.

They were more concerned about the busted up old van on the driveway. There had been a lot of reminders about getting rid of that...as if I was going to leave it there! The wrecker gave me cold hard cash for it. I also stuffed a whole bunch of tyres in it that looked a little out of place.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Have had a clay pile growing grass in the backyard for 8 months or so, it was the dirt dug out by the pergola builders for the footings. Where the dirt is/was I'm playing an open air fire pit/bench seat thingy.

Today I moved the bulk of the clay 2m to a dead space behind where the bench seat will go to begin the construction of a small water feature.

Even drew a plan of sorts to convince the minister for planning and house works!
View attachment 396770
View attachment 396771
View attachment 396772
View attachment 396773
View attachment 396774
Small water feature mostly finished, just sunk and concreted in these pvc pipes as an overflow holding area (also somewhere for the frogs* to go if its fecking hot, as the pond isn't super deep.).

*I wasn't sure if I would run the pump 24/7 so put some tadpoles in to keep the mosquito larvae in check.

Compress_20231227_165933_3925.jpg

Compress_20231227_165936_6655.jpg

Compress_20231227_165939_9060.jpg

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Small water feature mostly finished, just sunk and concreted in these pvc pipes as an overflow holding area (also somewhere for the frogs* to go if its fecking hot, as the pond isn't super deep.).

*I wasn't sure if I would run the pump 24/7 so put some tadpoles in to keep the mosquito larvae in check.

View attachment 405684
View attachment 405683
View attachment 405685
Will frogs be able to get out of the pipes if they fall in? They can burrow in dirt, but can't climb plastic in my experience. I had to let some grasses from beside my pond dangle into the water to form a sort of "ladder for frogs" at my old house. Before the plants grew in I'd occasionally find a very knackered banjo frog in the pond of a morning and have to scoop it out and drop it off in a suitable bit of the garden it could burrow into.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Will frogs be able to get out of the pipes if they fall in? They can burrow in dirt, but can't climb plastic in my experience. I had to let some grasses from beside my pond dangle into the water to form a sort of "ladder for frogs" at my old house. Before the plants grew in I'd occasionally find a very knackered banjo frog in the pond of a morning and have to scoop it out and drop it off in a suitable bit of the garden it could burrow into.
Valid point. I know down at the oldie's place occasionally a frog gets into an open end rhs trellis upright and manages to get out (but the inside of the rhs is probably rough so would help I guess).

Got me thinking now I might use a self tapping screw to attach a strip of shade cloth to the inside of the pipes

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Valid point. I know down at the oldie's place occasionally a frog gets into an open end rhs trellis upright and manages to get out (but the inside of the rhs is probably rough so would help I guess).

Got me thinking now I might use a self tapping screw to attach a strip of shade cloth to the inside of the pipes
Frogs are sticky little fckers ;)

cammas

Seamstress
So I’ve been working on the front yard again, a little further behind schedule than planned but getting Covid for my week off work sort of screwed things up.

Anyway the fence is up, painted and wired just waiting on Mrs Cammas to decide on what post capital design she wants to go with. While I wait I’ve pulled a section of next door’s fence to straighten the end post so it doesn’t make the new fence look crooked. I’ve designed the layout of the garden beds and now need to start digging holes again for the sleeper posts, thank goodness I’m not on the rigid anymore as my shoulders and biceps are killing me.

IMG_8614.jpeg

IMG_8576.jpeg

This section ran on an angle with a drop of about 200mm hence the sleeper underneath and the end post stuck out past the new fence due to a piece being too long forcing it on an angle
IMG_8691.jpeg