Build my wheel please

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Ok I have the DT Swiss E512 rim and going to fit it to 142 x 12 mm Hope Pro 4 Hub and the front to a 15 x 110 Hope Pro 4 - So obviously I need Nipples and Spokes - Below is the spoke length I calculate but what actual spokes do I want - I am large and use will be XC touring dirt roads and fire trail. I was going to use the Pillar Spokes from dirtworks they seem to have stock available.

So which actual spokes and nipples do I buy?

View attachment 371799View attachment 371800
Minlak, what spoke calculator are you using ? is that the DT one, or another?

PJO

in me vL comy
It would be a PITA using different nipples for the drive side VS brake side.
It's not that big a deal, usual to lace one side at a time.
Have done it for a kids wheel build when it was hard to get the right lengths.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would go 290 all the way...use brass nipples and try to hunt some DT Prolock ones for the drive side spokes.
I agree on the spoke length. Why the prolock nipples though?? Lanolin and brass nipples should work well.

@Minlak if you don’t mind waiting, https://www.spokesfromryan.com/product-category/spokes/
And
https://www.customcutspokes.co.uk/?doing_wp_cron=1611828921.5188860893249511718750

have good prices on custom cut spokes. I bought Sapim Race (double butted 2.0/1.8mm) and brass nipples from Ryan. Took 3 weeks to arrive in the peak of COVID. I weigh 115kg and ride 32 spoke wheels and those spokes are plenty strong enough.

Minlak

custom titis
I agree on the spoke length. Why the prolock nipples though?? Lanolin and brass nipples should work well.

@Minlak if you don’t mind waiting, https://www.spokesfromryan.com/product-category/spokes/
And
https://www.customcutspokes.co.uk/?doing_wp_cron=1611828921.5188860893249511718750

have good prices on custom cut spokes. I bought Sapim Race (double butted 2.0/1.8mm) and brass nipples from Ryan. Took 3 weeks to arrive in the peak of COVID. I weigh 115kg and ride 32 spoke wheels and those spokes are plenty strong enough.
I already ordered Pillar Spokes and Nipples give them a run and see what happens - Looks like I might order a whole new wheelset for the other bike as well now :)

dkselw

Likes Bikes
Wow that’s terrible. Mine took less than a month during peak COVID time. Where is the package held up?
I received an email within 24 hours of placing the order, saying the order was complete. Turns out the order was not actually complete and a Spokey that was part of the order was out of stock. I did not find this out for over 2 weeks. They did not respond to further emails so I rang them 3 weeks ago and he told me that he though that he had posted the order in the previous week and that he would send me the tracking info via email. I still don't have the spokes or any tracking info.

It was a noisy phone call so I found it hard to hear what he was saying. But it sounded like there is only one person working there at the moment and he is snowed under. I don't know what their real situation is like at the moment, but it is still frustrating from my end.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I received an email within 24 hours of placing the order, saying the order was complete. Turns out the order was not actually complete and a Spokey that was part of the order was out of stock. I did not find this out for over 2 weeks. They did not respond to further emails so I rang them 3 weeks ago and he told me that he though that he had posted the order in the previous week and that he would send me the tracking info via email. I still don't have the spokes or any tracking info.

It was a noisy phone call so I found it hard to hear what he was saying. But it sounded like there is only one person working there at the moment and he is snowed under. I don't know what their real situation is like at the moment, but it is still frustrating from my end.
Yeah that’s not cool. He was slow to supply me with a tracking number initially but I asked politely via email and he sent it.

dkselw

Likes Bikes

I submitted a dispute with PayPal and have just received a refund, along with a note from ryanbuildswheels saying "we are very sorry for the mistakes with this order".
I don't know what happened. I assume he thought he had sent the order but never got around to checking.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I submitted a dispute with PayPal and have just received a refund, along with a note from ryanbuildswheels saying "we are very sorry for the mistakes with this order".
I don't know what happened. I assume he thought he had sent the order but never got around to checking.
Good outcome but disappointing it took that long.