Budget/Value XC race bike

jellylegs

Banned
You can get decent used 29er XC hardtails these days for under 1k. That leaves another 1k to upgrade the wheels or maybe some components.

Marx

Likes Dirt
I went on advice from Flow magazine & dropped $1.6K on a new Cell Awaba 2.0 (29er hardtail).
I was looking to fill the gap my worn out Spesh Epic left and wanted the best bang-for-buck solid performer.
Honestly the best thing is that everything is new & good spec, nothing beats riding a bike with brand new running gear & components, everything just works. I've had my days dropping replacement parts into a dying rig, best to just trade to a new bike & give yourself at least 6months of hassle free riding/racing.

12363034_10153749144367622_8060193005672341535_o.jpg

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMwHhU7SYeOGu4naOPAEOiGqj3NZ_podJGguqe9

Bike shop link: http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Cell-Awaba-2-0

davo231481

Likes Bikes
Second hand Scott Spark 910 :noidea:
I picked up a 2015 Scott spark930 just before Christmas . It's my first dually , carbon and 29er. I love it. Got the suspension tuned today and it inspired enough confidence for me to really hit an old fav track at some great speed. Previous bike was a Yukon so no comparison.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I picked up a 2015 Scott spark930 just before Christmas . It's my first dually , carbon and 29er. I love it. Got the suspension tuned today and it inspired enough confidence for me to really hit an old fav track at some great speed. Previous bike was a Yukon so no comparison.
Three people I ride with, have the earlier models and the bikes are great. They seem to climb like mountain goats and they are well built. Enjoy, I bet you will love it.

davo231481

Likes Bikes
I've got a 2011 spark and still can't bring myself to upgrade.
I've changed the stem to shortest and added some riser debar at 730mm. I can't get over how easy it climbs and handles rough shit. Here in Cooma it's mostly rocks or grit. At 169 cm I've got the medium( could've gone the smaller frame but wasn't on offer and didn't get to test ride it, but did try the 27.5 trance and norco 9.1 and didn't like them). At first it seemed a bit of a reach but now it's all good with shorter stem and risers.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Is this problem more in the carbon rears or alloys. ( sorry for thread jack)

Alloy, the drive side stay used to buckle or snap in the middle, keep the pivot bearings in good condition and you wil reduce the chance of the frame cracking.

Seems there's quite a few pics of cracked carbon ones too.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Alloy, the drive side stay used to buckle or snap in the middle, keep the pivot bearings in good condition and you wil reduce the chance of the frame cracking.

Seems there's quite a few pics of cracked carbon ones too.
Out of the three bikes I know of, not one cracked. I think it comes down to the way they get treated, SantaCruz aren't a cheap bike and I have seen a shit load of them cracked at the rear stays.

Dowlo

Likes Bikes
Focus Raven? Norco or big nine

Not specialized..... (Rather a giant and a can of black paint)
I went through this late last month, started my search for a Focus Raven (was hard to find a local used one). Checked out the Norco (didn't like it), had a very good look at the Big 9 also (new one). However I ended up getting a used carbon Stumpy of Gumtree. I used to have an alloy Stumpy and loved it....so it was an easy choice. I couldn't be happier with my decision.
That being said, I'd never buy one new as they seem overpriced.

poita

Likes Dirt
I went on advice from Flow magazine & dropped $1.6K on a new Cell Awaba 2.0 (29er hardtail).
I was looking to fill the gap my worn out Spesh Epic left and wanted the best bang-for-buck solid performer.
Honestly the best thing is that everything is new & good spec, nothing beats riding a bike with brand new running gear & components, everything just works. I've had my days dropping replacement parts into a dying rig, best to just trade to a new bike & give yourself at least 6months of hassle free riding/racing.

View attachment 323468

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMwHhU7SYeOGu4naOPAEOiGqj3NZ_podJGguqe9

Bike shop link: http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Cell-Awaba-2-0
Thanks for the reply, good to hear from a Cell owner.

I totally agree about new ride on an old rig. Exactly why I think I'll go brand new. The play bikes can have beat up parts, but the race bike needs to just work.

Interesting to hear that the Norco and Merida didn't fit the bill, the people who own/have ridden the revolver that I've spoken to seem to love them? Just reinforces the fact that Id better test ride some bikes!

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
what size are you mate, my Trek Superfly 5 2015 which has hardly been ridden will be up for sale very soon, 21.5 frame, bought jan last year, only done about 100k's, few minor upgrades, switched to 1x10 and a riser bar, still have original parts. has had two services since purchased so its pretty much still new.

poita

Likes Dirt
What are peoples thoughts on the OEM single speeds that can switch out to a geared dropout?

I'm stupid enough to have ridden SS before, I ain't winning any races anytime soon and it would definitely cut down on maintenance....

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
have you considered a chinese frame?

the exchange rates have moved significantly since i did it, but i built up a pretty decent hardtail based on a direct-from-china frame around the budget you are talking. about half the budget was blown with some nice wheels (1400g 240s hubs carbon rims etc)

are you interested in shopping around part-by-part and piecing together a bike, putting it all together etc?

i am riding a frame that is very similar to the scott and GF/trek geo, and am very happy with it. coming up to 2 yrs now and it is going well. and if you buy from the right seller, you can have some reassurance that they'll replace any breakages. there's a few threads around the place on this

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://www.cannondale.com/en/Intern...parentid=30b5feee-280f-4886-b390-a1639cb19416

These are surprisingly light. Cannondale are the masters of aluminium. Yes they were known as crack'n'fail but they're good at honouring their warranty. Having the backing from a big distributor (Monza Imports) is worth something.
I think it ticks all your boxes. GREAT geo. Tubeless wheels and tyres (and the wheels aren't boat anchors to save weight like most options in your price bracket). Quality parts and a great fork. I think the RRP is 2300 though.

The two models below that are not such great options though. Much heavier! Hidden weight by hubs and spokes, fork, crankset.

How tall are you? What size do you need? Where do you live? Put those details out there and someone reading this thread might spy something.

Last edited:

poita

Likes Dirt
Glad this thread keeps humming along. I'm 183cm and about 84kg all kitted up. Usually ride somewhere between a 19-20 inch frame.

Cannondale is an interesting suggestion, I feel a bit like the lefty fork falls into the same camp as giant od2(proprietary and hard to repair/replace)but I also feel like it's a bit more innovative (and therefore worth owning)? Will have to add it to the list for consideration.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I don't run cannondale, but a lefty is a proper innovation - it's proprietary but unlike OD2 it has clear real differences to std - it's lighter, it's as stiff as (like obviously stuff, even to a numpty), whereas od2 was always obviously dubious , ie a marketing gimmick

I do believe however, that rather than a race bike, a power ergo setup in the garage with fans and a screen would yield better race results - targeted training.