BMC 100 Awesome event!

Mooy

Likes Bikes
Gps

I Have the gps data for the even should anyone wish to know where we went. BTW it clocked up at about 101 kms so you can't complain about the length at all.

just PM me if you want the data.

Cheers

Moo

evltoy

Likes Dirt
that's still not a perfect solution, i find a lot of riders are fast on fire road but slow on the tight stuf, or vice versa. Personally i'd get passed fairly regularly on the fire roads but then would do a fair bit of overtaking in the singletrack.
still, i guess it'd be better than nothing.
A good solution would be to have the riders be aware and know the rules before going into a “race” event.

Some riders I came across yelled out to me.. “Tell me when you want to pass” or gave me some acknowledgement that they knew I was there.

Then you had some riders that knew you were there and I would yell out after being behind them for a while “track” or “ready to take over when you are ready ” or “going right”.. And they still seem to ignore you and hold up a large pack of riders.

There needs to be some “common” rules placed in all event for this issue

akashra

Eats Squid
A good solution would be to have the riders be aware and know the rules before going into a “race” event.

Some riders I came across yelled out to me.. “Tell me when you want to pass” or gave me some acknowledgement that they knew I was there.

Then you had some riders that knew you were there and I would yell out after being behind them for a while “track” or “ready to take over when you are ready ” or “going right”.. And they still seem to ignore you and hold up a large pack of riders.

There needs to be some “common” rules placed in all event for this issue
General ettiquite is another thing, but the problem is there *are* rules, and they're ambiguous. I've discussed this with multiple MTBA reps and club reps, and none can agree on an interpretation of the UCI or MTBA rule.
The rules say that you're required to let a faster rider past. That's it. It doesn't say whether it's a terminal comparison, or over the event. Ie, if you're going to get held up as soon as you get to the next pinch climb or fly by them at the next fire trail, are you the faster or slower rider?

Noone can seem to agree.

Events like this also tend to attract plenty of dickheads who think not moving within three tenths of a second constitutes not getting letting them through for ages. People are often oblivious to idea that they're not going to let you through until it's safe.

evltoy

Likes Dirt
General ettiquite is another thing, but the problem is there *are* rules, and they're ambiguous. I've discussed this with multiple MTBA reps and club reps, and none can agree on an interpretation of the UCI or MTBA rule.
The rules say that you're required to let a faster rider past. That's it. It doesn't say whether it's a terminal comparison, or over the event. Ie, if you're going to get held up as soon as you get to the next pinch climb or fly by them at the next fire trail, are you the faster or slower rider?

Noone can seem to agree.

Events like this also tend to attract plenty of dickheads who think not moving within three tenths of a second constitutes not getting letting them through for ages. People are often oblivious to idea that they're not going to let you through until it's safe.
How about if your holding up people on single track, firetrail.. what ever, you let them pass and if you catch them.. they let you pass. How hard is it?

Inregards to d1*kheads at the events. You will get them anywhere you go. You just have to make some d1*ckhead proof rules to minimise the issues.

Also l'm not talking ubout flying up someone's ar$$ an expect them to move out the way immediately. I would expect that there would be some talking and acknoledgment by both riders to work out when to pass when its safe for all parties.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did the 100km.
It was brutal.
Dont think I ever want to "race" 80km of singletrack ever again.
Lost the plot when I saw the first 20km gone sign after riding for what seemed a couple of hours.
It really got in my head and it was all I could do to just keep turning the legs over.
At the 50km mark I was completely over riding singletrack and was close to pulling the pin.
At about 60km I just decided I would make sure I finished the event.
90km I told myself that it was only 10km to go so I should just get it over with as quickly as possible.
As far as I am concerned that race is done and ticked off forever.
This was my second enduro after the OO and I have to say that you've probably mirrored my thoughts during the event although I haven't scrubbed it from my list of future self torture. It was hard, but now I've finished it, I'm already starting to think about how I could do better. Why do we do this to ourselves!

Pro's
  • Great single track and the trail fairies should be praised. Terrific course that made you work damn hard to earn your finish and that's what its all about.
  • Yet again the volunteers make an event. While I struggled a bit with the first stop having that dude pushing all the 100km on (man, all I wanted was a banana and a rest!!), the other stops and marshals were terrific. Thank you for all your effort.
  • I ended up riding with a great group of riders around me and the spirit was good. Also saw some great efforts by riders who had stopped to look after broken riders. One of the marshals told me about a woman who had stopped to help a rider who had broken a CB in the first 20km, then ridden to get help, and then gone back to make sure the rider was OK. Probably lost about 30- 40 mins on her time. Fantastic effort that.
  • Great stuff to have a mechanic at the 2nd stop (what shop were they from?). My body was broken but after some lube my bike sounded sweet!!!

Cons
  • 7am race start is a 7am race start. Thanks to the wallies that turned up late and made the field stand around in the wet. Trust me, if I can get up at 4am to get there, you can. Maybe next year have the trail exit some where else so it's not traffic dependant. The start time is fine.
  • I am not a fast rider, at this point my aim is to finish and hopefully shave a bit of time off each time but that entry into the ST even affected me! I did the right thing and started in the last group so I wouldn't' be slowing anyone up but then just waited to get in and then coasted the first part of ST because of the traffic. I want to state that sorting this out is no easy task, and its much easier for me to post a comment than to fix so I do understand the organisers position. I'm guessing that there is the need to increase the fire trail so the field can spread out before any ST.
  • 2nd stop ran out of food when I got there. I really wanted a banana!!! I was craving it and was a gutted when I saw and empty table.
A good event and another 100km done. Despite the cons above (I enjoyed it so I'm really just sharing my thoughts rather than bitching) a big thanks to the organisers and volunteers and well done to all that competed. I hope to see you out there again!

Cheers,

Coaster

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
  • 7am race start is a 7am race start. Thanks to the wallies that turned up late and made the field stand around in the wet. Trust me, if I can get up at 4am to get there, you can. Maybe next year have the trail exit some where else so it's not traffic dependant. The start time is fine.
3.30am from Glen Waverley for our crew.

evltoy

Likes Dirt
3.30am from Glen Waverley for our crew.
Are you for real!

I packed the night before. Got up at 4:30am, put the bike on the car and left home at 5am from Rowville.

I got to the event at 6:25am and was ready and sitting around waiting for a good 30mins + before the 100k Elites went.

Did you guys have traffic or some issues getting there?

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you for real!

I packed the night before. Got up at 4:30am, put the bike on the car and left home at 5am from Rowville.

I got to the event at 6:25am and was ready and sitting around waiting for a good 30mins + before the 100k Elites went.

Did you guys have traffic or some issues getting there?
We were actually early.
Arrived around about 6am.
Point is that there is no reason for people to have still been streaming in at 7.15am.

We are from QLD and had NFI how long anything would take so erred on the side of caution.

Also had 4 people to get organised.

evltoy

Likes Dirt
We were actually early.
Arrived around about 6am.
Point is that there is no reason for people to have still been streaming in at 7.15am.

We are from QLD and had NFI how long anything would take so erred on the side of caution.

Also had 4 people to get organised.
I so agree with you on that.

skybustim

Likes Bikes
From what I could see waiting in the cold and wet, the traffic jams seemed to be caused by 50km riders coming in not late running 100km riders.
And really this was fair enough if their race didn't start till 8.00?
Problem lies with having the race start go out through the entry road, and also only having one small entrance, with a really tight turn into the parking field, and that is also the pedestrian access for the parking area.

Last edited:

kerno

Likes Bikes
I Have the gps data for the even should anyone wish to know where we went. BTW it clocked up at about 101 kms so you can't complain about the length at all.

just PM me if you want the data.

Cheers

Moo
anyone got the GPS data for the 50k?

jaybe1001

Cannon Fodder
anyone got the GPS data for the 50k?
Try this URL. Can't post links as new to the forum but copy and paste into your browser.

trail.motionbased.com/trail/gpx/export.gpx?episodePkValues=8031234

No mention of the photos on the website. Anyone know who took them or where and when they will appear?

j-9

Squid
Pro's
  • Great stuff to have a mechanic at the 2nd stop (what shop were they from?). My body was broken but after some lube my bike sounded sweet!!!

Cheers,

Coaster
That was Shaun from Kaos Custom Bikes. He was at the 32km and 62km stations.

j-9

Squid
Many mixed reports... trail markings were fine from where I was placed. You boys that got lost... heard that saying "get your hand off it or you'll go blind" If you stop now there might be some chance you'll recover your sight :p

If it's really necessary for additional trail markings then good old plain or self raising flour is biodegradable and easily recognisable on dark surfaces ;)

BMC Classic was the first 100km for me and my first loooong ride on the dually. Apart from a low point through the 26-30km mark where I wondered what the heck I was doing I loved it and from the 35km mark I was grinning all the way :D

My aim was to finish in one piece and not be wrecked for the next day. Mission accomplished, the body held up fine and I could even have ridden a few more hours so 12hr enduro is now a possibility.

I thought Woodend MTB club did a great job on getting the trails ready and sign posting was adequate. For lots of the second half I was riding solo or had someone tailing me and we didn't get lost.

Looking at the results there were more girls riding the 100km than previous years too :)

My name was one of those called out for a spot prize but I was still out there riding at the time - all good though, got told about it afterwards and Dirtworks provided my very own spot prize :D

The only criticism I had... the beer at the end was already opened - no sealed ones available. When it's getting close to dark you don't have time to drink a beer when you've got a tent to pull down before dark. But whoever scored my giveaway beer was quite pleased :p