BMC 100 Awesome event!

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
To all the guys that ran the event and all the sponsors, thanks for the great day!
I also came away with a 2nd in open for the 50km:D
So i'm happy haha
It was such a relaxed atmosphere at the finish.
And thanks to everyone that cheered me though the finish!
:cool::)

fergo

Likes Dirt
Hey scooter, what was your time so I know how far back I was since results are not up yet?

Baz rides

Likes Bikes
Well done scooter! I came in 3rd in that category with 2:53ish, no way I coulda pulled out another 10mins.
I struggled something shocking in the wet at the start, just couldn't get myself together. Could have had too much tire pressure - I definitely wasn't expecting that much moisture - ah well, it paid off later in the ride when we hit the fire roads.
Next year I might have to give the 100km a go.

rootri

Likes Bikes
wow, yep possibly the most fun ive had on a bike. big thanks to the guys that set the track up. i rode there 2 weeks ago and could find not to much st. then we didnt even ride the ones id done, but about 70km of other groomed trails. awsome effort.

having never done a mtb race i got stuck right at the back of the first group and had to line up for the first trail. spent the first 55 km overtaking until i reached the front group. quads cramping on every climb was a worry, was going too hard for sure. settled for a while, came good, then attacked with 12km to go and got away. ended up 2nd in open!!! totally pumped

now lysterfield 8hr next week????

Timbers

Likes Dirt
Total Rubbish/ Shit event!

Well done guys, good to hear you enjoyed the trails but I must argue the point of it being a well run event- infact in 16 years of racing its most likely the worst I have competed in.

I left the course at 67 km of the 100 having ended up back with other top 15 riders at the 60 to go point by following all the appropriate tape and arrows.

Not such a problem you say? having been told by the officials at this point that "we should not be here and will have to RE DO the 26km loop we just did again as we cant go back the way we came" certainly is a problem when you are fighting for a top ten position in an elite/outright catergory.

This wasnt an un informed officials opinion either it was radio'd through from the start finish area that we were to continue on the 60 km to go route WTF!

I guess at least if I had done 126 km in total I would have got my moneys worth because the level of course marking and official assistance on the course was an absoloute joke and a ripp off given the entry fee.

I informed the timing staff at the finish line of what had happened only to be told "we have had some trouble with people going the wrong way and getting lost and maybe people are moving directions out on the course"
no sorry- no offer to refund the entry fee just a smart arse comment of "cheer up sunshine" to my obvious looks of confusion to the previous comment.

On top of this I had slower riders I had already passed at the start of the race pop up on the track in front of me as they had missed sections due to not seeing course markings some of which I had already passed twice.

Having spoken to 50 km riders and other Elite 100 km riders they had similar issues with random slower riders popping up in front of them who were actually up to an hour slower than them.

Not to take anything away from all category finishers but the results of this event are obviously very very dubious with such an obvious variation in actual distance covered by riders.

The trails in the area are great fun and I recommend riding there any day of the year highly just not on the day MAXADVENTURE are running this race, if you are going to charge people so much to enter and start the event at a stupid time requiring you get up at 4 am -get it 100% sorted or dont bother taking peoples money.

Timbers - same as the other thread, this was your error, 99% of the riders managed to follow the track without error. Just so you know there were approx 50 club members breing marshals and providing you trails and forgoing the chance to ride themselves. If you are going tohave a big sook then maybe you should just stick to the yarra trails.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Timbers - same as the other thread, this was your error, 99% of the riders managed to follow the track without error. Just so you know there were approx 50 club members breing marshals and providing you trails and forgoing the chance to ride themselves. If you are going tohave a big sook then maybe you should just stick to the yarra trails.
I agree. Next time you help out so locals can ride in their own race.

After every arrow marker, there was a piece of red tape on a tree to tell you you were on the right track. Why didn't YOU check to see if you were going the right way. If in doubt, stop and check. The 50-100km section was no problem at all. I followed it very easily, especially the last 20km when no one was around to follow after the long ascent.

Stop blaming others for your mistakes.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
I'm with Timbers on this one.

You guys seem to forget that if you can see riders going a certain way up ahead, you tend to follow them. But when you're on your own and can't see any, and you miss an arrow, you don't know that you've missed an arrow. When you're riding head down, it's easy to do - I did it at the '07 Golden Triangle Epic and at the '08 GMBC Long Loop (in fact at that one I rode straight through bunting the wrong way as I had my head down and was towing a train of about 8 riders - the first 4 of which followed me straight through the bunting), and a whole bunch of riders did it at the '08 Golden Triangle Epic which took them 10km off course.

Unfortunately this event isn't an MTBA one, but from memory the MTBA requirements for marathons is that any intersections must have at least two markings indicating a turn coming up, with a different marking for the final arrow. Some events even go as far as to put an X after any possible wrong turns, and a marking after correct turns. Bunting across any wrong turns is also helpful.

Part of the pre-ride checks for the course should include the fact that all markings are well and truly clear and visible. Running an event comes with the responsibility to do it right, and he's well and truly entitled to point out where things need improvement.

Edit: Also, officials being smart-asses isn't on.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Part of the pre-ride checks for the course should include the fact that all markings are well and truly clear and visible. Running an event comes with the responsibility to do it right, and he's well and truly entitled to point out where things need improvement.
To be fair...

A couple of people missed a corner during the BMC MTB on the long day. Again it was mostly lead riders with their heads down doing 40k's plus through there but having sat in the car listening to the radio chatter, the guys went back and looked, then looked again, and still couldn't figure out how the riders missed that turn, but they put up extra bunting and signs anyway! Huw and the team have a reputation of over signing everything and riders still miss turns, even in the fling which has to be the most over signed, over marshalled race I know!

*shrug*

Cheers
Gonz

akashra

Eats Squid
Just a thought (based on what DaGonz just said) - is there anything (in terms of environmental damage etc) that would make it bad idea to put something like blue chalk on the ground?

Something which if you have your head down, you're going to notice even if you don't see a sign? What I'm thinking is just putting blue chalk over an area that says "You've gone the wrong way" - maybe just a couple of 1ft wide lines across the ground.

Do you think this would be a good/bad idea? Just throwing the idea out there.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Results are up on the website. I was in the first 100 and under 3:30:00 and not passed by 100km riders. Im stoked with 3 personal goals achieved for the day!!!!

fergo

Likes Dirt
Just a thought (based on what DaGonz just said) - is there anything (in terms of environmental damage etc) that would make it bad idea to put something like blue chalk on the ground?

Something which if you have your head down, you're going to notice even if you don't see a sign? What I'm thinking is just putting blue chalk over an area that says "You've gone the wrong way" - maybe just a couple of 1ft wide lines across the ground.

Do you think this would be a good/bad idea? Just throwing the idea out there.
Good idea, just not blue. They are mostly made of copper thiocyanates ie contain cyanide compounds. How about a net instead??? lol

akashra

Eats Squid
Or maybe colored rope - you'd feel the bump then. Maybe there's some kind of substance we can research that doesn't contain these metals, but good that someone know that kind of stuff off the top of your head - props for pointing that out :)
I specifically mentioned something other than bunting as you can't do that across fire trail - you just get idiots in 4WDs plow straight through it and tearing it down. Hell, we've even had that happen at Westgate Park of all places (was standing right there after having finished putting it up not 30 seconds ago and this clown just drives straight through - thanks buddy).

rootri

Likes Bikes
i must say holding up the presntations by half hour (50 minutes) was not cool. and a pissweak excuse that the race was delayed so the pres will be too, and then only informing us of said pisweak excuse just before the scheduled time, was poor form.

many people , except the prize winners, would have left a little annoyed. its already a long day

skybustim

Likes Bikes
A few dissapointments, mainly personal, I didn't prepare enough etc etc.
But to have to get a hand written plate, "probably stuck to another when we hand them out", A goodie bag, with the only 'goddie' being an endura bar, oh and a year old magazine.
And even after DNF not seeing my none result up?