Blown Sub?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I'm having trouble being fully sick in carparks at late night without the sub working anymore, turned it down at a set of lights (apparently not everyone likes metal, and I'm a nice guy) and when I took off again no sub. Didn't turn off the car, music was still playing at low volume but sub won't come back on. Have tried everything I've found on the net, pressing the speaker in doesn't make any scratching sounds and a DMM doesn't show any of the usual signs of a blown sub (fluctuating ohm levels), doesn't read anything actually. Amp seems fine, power light is on, fuses are fine, protect mode isn't on. Anything I've missed?

Honestly if I can't fix it tonight I'll just a buy a cheap new sub on Thursday for $80 but if I can save some money why not. Wondering if it might be the rca cables even falling loose from the headunit end. It's been going fine for the last ~18 months, cheapest system there was so not too bummed out.

Anyone on here have any other ideas?

EDIT: Fully sickness restored, new rca and sub for $100 and works fine, using the same box. Just found the plug that makes the sub box flash blue lights with the bass. I actually thought that was cool when I bought it...

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
a blown sub will still make noise, it will just sound sub par. your problem lies elsewhere.

check all cables, RCA as you mentioned, speaker wiring between amp and sub, terminals at the sub, etc.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Just replaced speaker wiring to sub with new thicker 16g wire, made sure it's all wired to the right ohmage. RCA's were plugged in but fall out easily, no resistance when plugging them in. Still can't get an ohm reading from multimeter, just sits at 0. Will try and find a set around the house and try them out,

EDIT: RCA, one of the pins from rca just fell off, hopefully this is issue. Will buy new tomorrow and try.

Last edited:

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
If youre getting a 0ohm reading straight across youre sub then its probably time for a new one. I dont know exact numbers for a speaker but you should have a small resistance. 0ohm is just a short circuit across your speaker coil.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
somewhere around the 6 to 8 Ohm mark for a good speaker..0 Ohms means its fried and has a short circuit across it, i.e there is no load for the current to pass through...open circuit or OL on your meter, means it has too much resistance across it( i.e. an air gap where the coil has broken) and its also fucked!...good luck

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Sounds like new sub tomorrow! Did a bit of research, the amp died a few weeks ago, took it apart cleaned it out, good as new. Forgot to turn down all the settings, had everything turned on full ball, probably why it blew. School me on some other things, it's a 300W RMS amp with 300W RMS sub, sometimes it feels a little lagged, slight delay between speakers and sub. If I replace it with a 275W RMS sub will it have a little bit more power left from amp to keep up?

I mostly listen to 60s 70s rock and metal, I really only need something powerful enough to give me bass kicks. It's not a super loud system but you can educate people on thrash metal pretty well.

Last edited:

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Depends on a bunch of things, if the amp can make rated power(brand?) and if the sub can take 300WRMS. However you could put a 2000W Sub on your 300W amp and still kill it if- you set your gain wrong and drive the amp 'til it clips or you have the gain right up on your HU and it is sending a clipped signal to the amp.

If it sounds laggy you can try pointing it in different directions, switching the polarity at the sub but it is probably the enclosure is the wrong size and if it is a ported box it can be the wrong size and tuned to the wrong frequency for your sub. Picking a sub with slightly less power handling won't do squat unless it is a more efficient sub, 25W is nothing.

Crap gear installed well will always outdo good gear installed poorly.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-audio/cadence/cadence-x1-sub-amp-combo/52575/

It's this guy here. Amp and Sub are 300W RMS each, when I say laggy I mean a split second, I don't notice it unless I think about it but when I do it really shits me. Installed myself, everything bar hooking up the ohmage wrong at first is pretty shit hot if I say so myself, quite clean, all wires crimped and heat shrinked, and all out of sight, all that stuff.

Either way, new sub and rca's tomorrow. Will buy rca's first, if that doesn't fix it I'll walk back in and get the sub. If that doesn't work I'll rob a 17 yr olds commodore and get a better system.

sbr511

Likes Dirt
I mostly listen to Taylor Swift, I really only need something powerful enough to give me bass kicks. It's not a super loud system but you can educate people on pop music pretty well.
Why you need such a good system for such crap music??

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
You can also take the speaker wires out of the amp and put one on each end of a AA battery, you should hear some scratchy noises from the sub if it works.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Why you need such a good system for such crap music??
Mum I told you to stop posting in my threads, God!

You can also take the speaker wires out of the amp and put one on each end of a AA battery, you should hear some scratchy noises from the sub if it works.
Yeah tried that, nothing. I'm guessing the voice coils are burnt out but there's not much evidence of it.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
if you are trying to reduce the impedance of the install, ditch the crimps and learn to solder!...shit connections=more resistance=more current=overloaded equipment...then the smoke gets out!

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
shit connections=more resistance=more current=overloaded equipment...then the smoke gets out!
No. No. No. No. NO. Learn some basic electrikity please, V=IR therefor I=V/R. More R = significantly less I. A high resistance connection will not burn out your sub, it will however create a significant quality drop. And unless you spend a fair bit of time practicing soldering (especially just two wires together) don't bother because there really is an art to creating a perfect join.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Everything in my system uses solder and plug adapters. Small things like the Bluetooth adapter stuff is just twisted together but it has no effect on the sound quality