Blind rider saying hi

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
idk man, I'm used to the dropper. Only wish is was my seat tube didn't have a dog leg in it so I could get a longer dropper in it.
G'day and welcome
I had a 2019 Fuel EX and really liked it. Had the same gripe re wanting a longer dropper post.
Building your own bike is very rewarding but can cost a lot more if you buy new bits at bike shop prices. Some good stuff pops up in the For Sale section here, as do complete bikes.

Jpez

Down on the left!
This is Comadai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There’s a lot of remnant mining stuff around there. Found an old collapsed humpy next to a sluice run and it looked like it had been sitting like that undisturbed for many decades. And old tin petrol station sign IIRC used as the roof.
A couple of laps around Comadai/Antimony can be pretty brutal if you’re not feeling it though. I reserve the place for training laps, covid lockdowns and when I’m feeling particularly masochistic.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Hey all. I've been riding trails about for a long time, but; I'm pretty much blind. So I'm mostly sticking to myself riding about where I live in the Lerderderg and wombat forests.

I've had a few bikes over the past years, my favourite was a Marin Mount Vision from 1999 (attached) that I really miss and found myself the most confident on. Unfortunately that was stolen long ago.

After riding my current bike for a while, a 2017 Trek Fuel EX8, and never being overly happy with I've been thinking about building a bike myself.

I don't own the tools, I can't drive (because I'm nearly blind), and I live remotely and I got no idea where to start. Maybe you lot could help spin me around and point me in some random direction?
I'm not sure if this is a good price or not, thought it might interest you though:

1712913924777.png

I'm not sure if this is a good price or not, thought it might interest you though:

View attachment 408544
This is a cool find. It does look like the lower end spec from when I bought mine. Mine cost $3200 in 1999 which was running XTR drivetrains and brakes with aManitou titanium fork. I can’t remember what this would have been going for at the same time.

I’m not sure myself what price. Maybe I should make an offer just for nostalgia.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
@Labcanary I got onto that group today, and I’m intrigued. Looking up from original spec and price it was introduced with lower spec but a few things might be upgraded. According to this https://bikepedia.azurewebsites.net/Quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2000&brand=Marin &model=Alpine Trail

I’m not sure, but would a $200 offer sound reasonable? Also a size large, hmm

I have no idea, sorry. Someone over in the Vintage thread would be more knowledgeable about it.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
$200 is pretty low for a complete in such good nick but on the flipside not a really popular era or bike for collectors. If you are on Facebook the moderators of this group are pretty good with pricing help, join and PM them.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Oh just noticed it's 99, try this one although I think there's some of the same moderators of both:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
My 2c, a huge part of what you are feeling is actually just modern geometry, and specifically slack (headtube angle). Something like a modern XC hardtail will improve and get your slack numbers back to 'normal' but it comes with its own compromises.

Like someone said, hire a few out and see how you go. My only caveat is that now that you have ridden a dually, you probably won't want to go back to a hardtail. However moving to something more XC oriented like a 120mm trail bike in 27.5 might hit the spot for you i suspect.

For th record, I'm 182cm, ride a large and prefer 27.5 wheels. This is after owning a 29 dually for about 8 years lol.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
There was a lot of reading to do here, and I didn't. I'm probably echoing a lot of other riders, but I need to sound like I'm providing advice before I segue into something I might have that might scratch that retro itch.

I like 27.5 wheels
I also like 29s
And I like 26 still despite how wrong the industry tells me I am.

Personally, I don't think my 29" single speed xc hardtail would work as a 275. I also wouldn't put the wagon wheels on my trail or enduro, they work perfectly as 275. My semi retro big travel hardtail is 26 rear and 275 front with great results. And my old retro dually and hardtail are perfect the way they are with 26". Take what you will from that, but I think the long and the short of it is that there isn't a magic wheel size and you can make it work with whatever you want (as long as you don't mind chasing old tyres if you're hanging onto 26)

"Modern" geometry has a lot to do with the feel you're talking about, Calvin's on the money.
My old 2001 tracer has a ton of pedal clearance and a super short wheelbase. Likes tight stuff but really twitchy and removes a lot of confidence on a descent because it's so high up.
My newer 2012 tracer has a lot more of a sit in feel, pedal strikes are more common and it doesn't like switchback climbs at all. It's planted as fark on a descent though and confidence is at an all time high on this thing.
My much newer aeris120 is a solid mid way between them. Fairly planted, good at tight stuff, playful but not twitchy. (This is the Goldilocks type bike, good for an all day ride, especially if you don't know what you'll be coming up against)

Am I forgetting something?
...I have an old scott genius out in the garage. I wanted to have a play with the weird pull shock system, but really don't think I'll ever pick this instead of one of the other bikes. If it sounds remotely interesting let me know. It should be close to the era you were remembering with rose coloured glasses

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited: