BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Can you flick me an email address. The pic is too big to post from my crap phone....

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
Rooftop Carrier on Ute Tray?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420851017.301927.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420851766.400915.jpg

I put 6 coach bolts wit the heads ground off through the back of the tub held in place with nuts. The back wheel slots in between two of them.
Simple velcro strap around the guard and the rear tyre oci strap through the front wheels . Held it quite well but fur the long highway drives i also put a ratchet strap across over the back wheels they didn't move an inch . Would get better photos but sold that car.

Last edited:

MRO1

Squid
I use the Rocky Mount fork mounts as well. On my hilux i have bolted them to the lip on the top of the tub. I have one either side so i can carry the wifes bike. My remedy 29 just fits inside the tub with the back wheel touching the rear tailgate when it is closed.

They adapt to carring 15mm axle and 20mm axle. I dont ride (or want to ride) with anyone with a 9mm qr front so not an issue for me

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
I like the fork mount carriers, but do you get pretty limited as far as what bikes you can carry - what if your mate wants to throw his bike on but his axle is different to your axle? That never used to be an issue, but with each fscking frame having its own axle standard these days, it seems restrictive.

That said, i've never used one so i could be talking out my ass again.

This thread is relevant to my interests.
I would definitely recommend rockymounts in this regard. They fit a 20mm axle, but come with shims that clip in for 15mm and a 15mm dummy axle for 9mm QR. You can also lock them which is nice. I've been running them for about 8 months or so now and they have been great!

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
this looks awsome who did this for you and how much did it cost ??
I made it with some help with design (and use of tools) from my old man. Then had milspec manufacturing powder coat it. I didn't find anything good for the falcon ute so went this way and made one, has worked flawlessly. Also designed so 4 hex bolts and the whole thing lifts out, if it's going to get in the way when you're carrying something large.

T-Rex

Template denier
Gripsport crank holders?

How about bolting a couple of Gripsport crank holders to the floor of the tray? They are the fastest loading/ unloading bike carrying system I am aware of.

If you don't want to drill your tray put in a sheet of formwork ply and bolt them to that.

Not on the floor of the ute, but a bit higher so I could put crap in the ute for going to 24's. Bolts on to the standard mounting points. Got a spare tonneau cover and notched it. 10 mins on or off.
I used a couple of ISO slot roof bars so the racks would slot in.
Make it as high, or low as you like.
IMO, I like wheels on. with all the axle standards now I can take any bike (mine or mates) without adapters (that get lost and are a pain to buy). Don't have to find a home for a dirty wheel either.

uterack.jpg

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
This is my ute rack that I designed and made....
IMG_0771.jpg
IMG_0772.jpg
IMG_0768.jpg

Drew it up in 3D CAD then had the parts laser cut and I TIG welded it and had it powdercoated.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not on the floor of the ute, but a bit higher so I could put crap in the ute for going to 24's. Bolts on to the standard mounting points. Got a spare tonneau cover and notched it. 10 mins on or off.
IMO, I like wheels on. with all the axle standards now I can take any bike (mine or mates) without adapters (that get lost and are a pain to buy). Don't have to find a home for a dirty wheel either
Very nice job.

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
This is my ute rack that I designed and made....
Drew it up in 3D CAD then had the parts laser cut and I TIG welded it and had it powdercoated.
That looks great, still a bit to many straps required for me though.

IMO, I like wheels on. with all the axle standards now I can take any bike (mine or mates) without adapters (that get lost and are a pain to buy). Don't have to find a home for a dirty wheel either.
]
Good idea, do you have any close up pictures of the rack without bikes on it? also which racks did you use?

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have Yakima Highrollers and I don't think it will suit the ute tray very well unless you mount them up high. The front arm folds out a fair way and will strike the cab unless they are mounted almost at roof level, otherwise they'd have to be slid back a few feet and the rear wheel would then be way past the tailgate.

Mounting them backward could work, but the rear wheel may then contact the cab if you have them too far back and I'd think they'd still protrude past the end of the tailgate by a long shot.

I can give you measurements of them if you are keen to try and fit them.

Great Racks

When you no longer have access to green utes, such racks can be adapted to other hosts.
Rack Trailer.jpg

Here is the rack off.
Note the roof rail bar front and rear (pick up any ISO slot roof bar cheap). I made it so I could position the roof bars in many locations (note holes on flat strips where the roof bars mount) as most off the shelf carriers front mount is fixed relative to where the bike is held).

Aluminium "carrier" shown is one of the the extras used when taking lots of bikes as it can be slid forward or backward where most off the shelf roof carriers cannot. Uses three straps (and ideally a ratchet tie down over the handlebars ) and the back wheel. Not a bad unit but not as solid as I would have liked. The aluminium is fairly flexible which is why this one is pushed forward as far as possible. If you are interested the aluminium extrusion is "Signpost aluminium". An extrusion normally cut into ~40mm lengths & drilled to hold aluminium signs to your standard gal signpost

Rack off.jpg

I use Mont Blanc Barracuda's as 1) Well engineered. 2) Used to be able to get a pair cheap through Chainreaction 3) Wheels on. 4) low profile when no bike on them. 5) Can disassemble and change LH to RH or Vise Versa.
Disadvantage with these is 2.1" max front tyre width without letting the front tyre down. (The later model Piranha fits 2.35's or something) I just suck it up and pump up before a ride if what I'm riding has a fattie on the front (Track pump in boot anyway).

Mont Blanc Barracuda.jpg
NOTE: for mounting on the floor of a ute tray, how the front wheel tray is below the roof bar mounting. Need to space it off the floor a little. (No problems for me as mine was spaced a lot)

If you look at the top pic you may note that the car had roof bars on it. Why not use them? Well Trailer had 5 bikes on it and allow 13 kg / bike, plus some for a carrier and roof bars and its all too heavy. What I did was once camped etc. I could grab one of the Mont Blancs off the trailer and put it on the car. (Another reason to have the ISO rails on the rack frame.)

Last edited:

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What about putting a hitch receiver on the tray somewhere - a 50mm ID square tube, either in the front of the tray or at the side, and getting something like a yakima stickup or holdup
If you go away touring, can move it to the back (assuming you have a hitch)

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
View attachment 305606View attachment 305608

I put 6 coach bolts wit the heads ground off through the back of the tub held in place with nuts. The back wheel slots in between two of them.
Simple velcro strap around the guard and the rear tyre oci strap through the front wheels . Held it quite well but fur the long highway drives i also put a ratchet strap across over the back wheels they didn't move an inch . Would get better photos but sold that car.
lots of space to be gained here, by throwing away the roadie in the middle!:behindsofa: