BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
what is part number of cable? it might be OK

LED lights, not much current draw... site for them reckons 1.2W or licence plate, and 14.4W for the others (could be per side? or both?).
may only have <16W= ~1.15A = not much.

Even if <1.5A per side (when brake lights on)... cat6 might even jussst do it? (but you wouldn't)
https://www.elinz.com.au/buy/2x-tra...icense-number-plate-li/LEDTRAIV2-LEDPLATE-PKG (is this the one?)
View attachment 402184
Yes, that's the one.

I really don't want to dick around with the stuff he gave me (it's in the garage, not sure what part number it was). The single copper strand is minuscule, even more so next to the cable that comes with the lights. I've got to go to Bunnings tomorrow anyway....

oldcorollas

Levin the moment

rstim

Likes Dirt
I like the fact that you're on here. I'm assuming that you're a site supporter.

I need to transport BMX race bikes through to my monster Nicolai G1.
The carrying vehicle is a Land Rover Disco 4 so it has a square hitch but it's a Land Rover specific one so I don't know how that will affect installing U bolts.

I need to be able to lower the rack to access the tailgate.

It needs to have a garage storage option.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Have a mate who recently bought one of the latest generation shingleback racks, it seemed like a good thing and had some extra subs ad ons to make smaller wheeled bikes fit really well. I would definitely check one out if you can.

I personally have single trail and love it but it doesn't fit some of my smaller kids bike perfectly.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
$20 bike rack gets upgraded.

Bought this rack when I got my licence in ‘96, so it’s been pretty good value. Don’t really see the need for a new one but wanted to avoid a fine for obscuring plates and lights so it was lightbar time.

Lightbar is from Supercheap. Bolted a couple of short table legs to it that slide over the racks bars. Drilled through legs and rack so a bit of coat hangar can pin it on. Need to remove it to take bikes off but it’s less than a minute.

IMG_9490-compressed.jpeg

IMG_9491-compressed.jpeg

Will add a bit of alu plate to the front to take some strain off the plastic bar, although it’s so long there’s not going to be much stress on it.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Doubles as a spoiler for max downforce.
Have you been for a drive on the freeway with it yet?
Ah crap, I hadn’t thought of that.

Bike will be in front of it breaking the wind up, but could still be interesting. If it’s an issue I can swap the electrics over to something else.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Ah crap, I hadn’t thought of that.

Bike will be in front of it breaking the wind up, but could still be interesting. If it’s an issue I can swap the electrics over to something else.
Maybe something more than a bit of coat hanger to secure it before you hit the road ;)