Tow Bar or Roof Rack

• Tow Bar

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • Roof Rack

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey we recently got a Forester. And I have been thinking about the same thing.

Even without a full on DH bike (I've got a STP) I would probably tend to go for a towbar type, the Grip ones are probably my favorite, unlike some other types once the bike is off at least you can still easily open up your boot (correct me if that's wrong).

The Forester isn't a big car by any means but it would still be a hassle to get the bike up on the roof all the time, especially on my own. Yeah if it was a standard car then roof rack for sure.

But I must say what Chuckie posted does look good, it plays right into the Subi marketing campaign too - "hey I drive a subaru and have a mtb on my roof".:D

Think of it this way, if you're going on any type of terrain where the towbar carrier may scrape or whatever then you're probably more likely to damage your Subi first, and I'm guessing you would probably avoid that anyway. So really the only issue is going to be number plate visibility.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
And are coppers angry if we don't put a 'little' number plate on the back?
They might. That's one of those things that depends on the mood of the cops on that day. Sorta like catching you without a seatbelt on. If they're having a bad day, or need to get some revenue, you're an easy target.

So just make it simple... order a mini license plate (around $35?), drill two holes in the Grip rack, and bolt on the plate. It is so easy, I can't state that enough.

Simple fix. Looks good. Keeps police off your case.

No Judge

Likes Dirt
I was borrowing a ex-GFs towball mount, and I just unscrewed the number plate from the bootlid, and screwed it onto the rack. Only took 2mins, and never had a problem. Just have to remember to put it back on after you take the rack off.

That being said, I now use a trailer. Just nailed to bits of 2x4 together to act as rails for the tyres, and then i use quick-straps to stop the bike moving around too much. Can fit 4 bikes in the trailer comfortably, no lifting required (you can even bunnyhop on & drop off if your keen), use a bikelock/chain to secure the bikes, & no probs with the police.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
I'm surprised Grip hasn't had his say yet, but it seems many other have done that for him.
Nothing much to say really :). It's always more impressive when others do the boasting for you :p

Cheers
Guys.

THE Manik Man

Likes Dirt
So just make it simple... order a mini license plate (around $35?), drill two holes in the Grip rack, and bolt on the plate. It is so easy, I can't state that enough.

Simple fix. Looks good. Keeps police off your case.
Order th plates over the net, its quick and easy. One of the boys got picked up for having the number plate blocked and fined $300. $35 is a way cheaper option

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seriously buy the Grip sport rack. I've farked around with other racks and sat nevoursly in my car, glancing back at my bike every two minutes, using one of those stupid 'bar' things connected from the stem to seat post and mounting it on a bike beak. The grip sport rack is majic, no worrying about bikes falling off or anything slot the bike in, tie it down and you're off. Plus its bomb-proof and will fit most bikes no matter about the frame shape. +200 for Grip Sport downhill bike rack.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nothing much to say really :). It's always more impressive when others do the boasting for you :p

Cheers
Guys.

Hey Grip, I'm still thinking about those crank holders for the Ute, just traded in one of our cars so will have to figure out which one I'll be using most, if it's the Forester well I'll be looking at a towbar rack instead although it may have to wait a little while.:D