• Tow Bar

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • Roof Rack

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

Shaun2910

Squid
Hey all

Just wanting to buy a bike rack for the car, i'm getting fed up with putting the bike in the boot. I just wanted to know whether a roof mounted Thule bike rack or a tow bar mounted rack was 'easier' for a DH bike.

Cheers,

Shaun

woodyjbh

Likes Dirt
Tow bar racks are better by a mile.

As well as the type by Grip, I'd check out Allen Racks. I have a DH bike and a couple of Hardtails and found the Allen rack suited my needs quite well. Great price too. The 540R 4-bike carrier is only around $240.

Wood

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Roofrack pros:
Bikes wont get snapped if you get rear-ended.

Con:
Everything else in the world.

zaccyboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get a Q spear but if you do get one, make sure you get the longest one available
becuase the short one can only get like 2 maybe 3 DH bikes on them. But the longer ones can easily get 4. By the way they are tow bar mounted.

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DH bikes are too heavy to be bothered lifting above your head and off again each run. They also tend to drop a lot of shit on your car roof.

Go the grip rack.

My 2c worth.

John U

MTB Precision
bike weights for roof racks are pretty much limited to XC and trail bikes. I am pretty sure a downhill bike will be too hefty for a roof rack. The website should give this sort of info. For a downhill bike go the tow bar mounted, go locally made, get a gripsport rack.

scblack

Leucocholic
bike weights for roof racks are pretty much limited to XC and trail bikes. I am pretty sure a downhill bike will be too hefty for a roof rack. The website should give this sort of info. For a downhill bike go the tow bar mounted, go locally made, get a gripsport rack.
I have a Thule roof rack mount for my DH bike (Model 501 I think) . It is no problem weight wise. The only thing I have to change is to add longer wheel straps, as the ones on the rack don't reach around DH (2.5") tyres.

BUT having said that, you must ensure you have solid roof racks themselves, or your are correct, DH bikes would be an issue. My roof racks are aluminium, thick, and are mounted to rails on the roof. The roof rack guy who sold me the Thule mount was at first VERY wary of a roof mount for such a large bike as a DH bike.

***Edit*** - If I was to start again, I would definitely buy a tow bar rack - GripSport type one. Much easier than roof racks.

Last edited:

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had the Thule DH sidearm carriers mounted on the roof of my STI and thought they were fantastic

I thought they were great as I could drive the car normally ;) without the bikes bouncing up and down behind me as they are locked in solid on your roof. No issue at all fitting a Glory and a Sunday

plus you can lock them up too, if you need to duck in to a shop to get a drink

I also have a 3 bike Grip sport carrier but these were just easy to use as they were already mounted day to day. For big shuttle days then I would pull out the Grip carrier but if you are just taking 2 DH bikes the Thule roof racks are pretty practical.

The Q-spears do look pretty easy to use though

This was my Thule racks but if you are doing heaps of shuttling then maybe a Grip or Qspear is the way to go

Last edited:

s_t_3_v_3

Likes Dirt
Who drives a car theses days? man just ride your bike to the trail!
Na umm, im actually in the process of designing the ultimate bike rack for my Yr12 MDP. WATCH THIS SPACE!

Shaun2910

Squid
Haha i would ride my bike to tracks, but i live on the northern beaches and the DH tracks i have ridden is Oxford Falls and REd Hill, unles someone would like to PM me about anymore????..... haha i tried.

Well it sounds like a tow bar mounted rack is the go, I drive a 2001 Subaru Liberty and they arent that wide, would the GripSport racks prove a problem with width? And are coppers angry if we don't put a 'little' number plate on the back?

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I never feel secure with a bike on top of me, towbar is so simple and you can pick some really simple yet tough ones for next to nothing.

Width shouldnt be a problem, i doubt it would be wider then your Legacy, if it is, you'd just have to drive accordantly.

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You'll have to b careful then. Are you planning on buying a towbar/ball? If so, it might be cheaper to go for the roof rack, and you wont have the width problem. One positive thing i can think of for the roof ones is you dont have any problem when going doing curves, driveways and all obstacles that bring your back end lower when driving, which could be a problem with a big heavy bike like yours.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm surprised Grip hasn't had his say yet, but it seems many other have done that for him.

As cdfeto said, it really depends on whether you're going to get a towball or not. If you get a towball, go a gripsport. If not, get that Thule carrier pictured above ( or something similar ).

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mmm

If your are serious about dh / ridding commit your self and buy a ute ore trailer . Your only half way there if all you have is a bike rack that will only carry 2 bikes .

Last edited: