Bike Made out of Wood?

do-a-flip

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey lads and ladies,

Next year i am about to start my last year of school and have chosen wood tech for one of my studies. I am trying to think of something awesome and different to make and the idea of building a wood bike came to mind and was wondering if anybody had pictures? I have searched around but only seen some shotty half assed ones but as i am a perfectionist :rolleyes: i would like to see some nice ones. I remeber seeing an awesome one at the baw baw vic DH round last season next to the cafe and wondering if anyone took any pictures of it, or if there are any other good ones out there to give me some ideas! also if anyone has ever constructed a bike out of wood do you have any tips/advice? how long did it take, cost ect. Also if anyone wants to post up what they made for their yr 12 peice please do :)

Looking forward to hearing your feedback,
Ben.

Shredden

Knows his goats
You would have to make the headtube, bb and dropouts of metal -

Here is a good example of what I mean.

EDIT: I think bamboo is most commonly used because of its light weight and strength.

xero

Supersports
This one was displayed at EuroBike this year....... totally amazing bit of work...... needless to say, we were not allowed to ride, or even sit on it.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Im doing Technology studdies I have just completed yr 11 and will be finnishing the course next year. 1 of this years folios was a childrens toy most built wooden planes, trucks, trains ect. i saw a "first bike" in dirt works catalouge and had a crack at making simalar but out of wood. enjoy......

Attachments

wtr

Likes Dirt

Got SNAP?

Nothing particularly constructive, but that gave me a chuckle. =)

disfocus

Likes Dirt
Renovo bikes

Check out these guys for some very nice looking bikes.
I remember seeing some pics (including construction stages) of some bamboo bikes with carbon joints made by a guy in Melbourne, but I can't remember where i saw them!

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SillyWabbit is onto something here, in woodwork you're allowed to use other materials as well, so that's something to consider in your folio. Many many pages can be taken up by brainstorming different materials for your design, so keep that in mind.

driftking

Wheel size expert
would be awsome to see a complete wooden v10 or a frame similar with wooden lowers on the forks, and bars ,obvioulsy not to ride but to have it as one nice piece of wood/art work.
take some work ecpecially with the lowers but would be a nice result.

smiff123

Likes Dirt
You would have to make the headtube, bb and dropouts of metal -

Here is a good example of what I mean.

EDIT: I think bamboo is most commonly used because of its light weight and strength.
This is what I thought of as soon as I read the title!
Kind of off topic but my lbs had one of those frames built up and I admired it and asked who it was for.... IT WAS FOR THE BASS PLAYER OF THE VIOLENT FEMS!
True story.

Oh and it had wooden rims and hubs and spokes too.

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bamboo makes a lot of sense if you are looking at a natural medium for frame building. It has a higher torsional strength than steel and is light as.

Sounds like a cool project. Lot of scope for different frame building techniques and shapes that could be used as it can surely be done. All the best mate. :)

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
I actually rode past a guy on a bamboo fixie this morning!

Spoken to him a few times before, so instantly recognised his hand made bike.

See here.

do-a-flip

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I actually rode past a guy on a bamboo fixie this morning!

Spoken to him a few times before, so instantly recognised his hand made bike.

See here.
Wow that is amazing! thanks Zyphryss thats a massive help. This is really interesting me now! At the start i was just researching a wacky thought and i never thought it would actually be a possability. hmmm its got me thinking. How can i get in touch with that guy? you wouldnt happen to have his email would you Zyphryss? i'd be very interested to know how he did it and just get some details.

This is really good guys thanks! keep it coming in..
Ben.

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
How can i get in touch with that guy? you wouldnt happen to have his email would you Zyphryss?
Nope, sorry Ben! I'll try and remember to ask next time I bump into him.

Maybe send him a message through his Flikr account?

Happy to help. :)

Likes Dirt
Last edited: