Bike bags.

oriion

Likes Dirt
I'm off to the states next week for a month, which I will be purchasing a new bike to get dirty for a few weeks before bringing it home.
Can anyone offer any advice on what is a good bike bag to bring my new toy home in, without getting trashed?
Budget is open. and would appreciate any help.

thanks!

Also generally speaking, what smaller items / parts etc would you buy that you otherwise couldnt buy ( or could at 10 times the price ) here that i could stuff in my bags to bring home. I was thinking things like seal kits for shocks etc.
Some other hints would be good :)

Last edited:

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Bags

I have brought several bikes home from USA/Canada over the years and always just used bike boxes. Most bike shops will give you them for free, all you need to do is pull off front wheel, stem/bars and pedals. Go to town with some bubble wrap and tape and you will be fine.

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
Depending on what bike you are taking and what trip I would be tempted to take a large suitcase and try cram the bike in there. This likely wont work if you have a large dh bike though and you will need to take it fully apart.

If you are mainly riding you shouldnt have much extra weight in clothes so you should be able to get the bike in with clothes under 30 kilos.

Ive seen it done and its great as you usually get 20-30 kilos for your luggage limit compared to the 15kg that most offer for taking a bike bag (which is often more expensive than paying for a larger luggage bag).

Plus if you go over the limit with the bike bag like I did they can charge you mega amounts if you are travelling long distance. From the UK to Australia they threatened me with $900 extra dollars for being 6 kilos over the 15 limit. I got it down to around $300 but even still its loads of money.

As for things to buy - mech hanger and seals I guess.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I always use a box, free/ light/ strong. I go for a shorter box so i can fit in back seat of car/taxi.

The bike shouldn't cost any extra to bring back (check details with your airline...).
Clean it and your shoes well before packing.

As for buying extra stuff, why not just buy online as you need it. I doubt you will find stuff much cheaper at US retail stores...

No Judge

Likes Dirt
I remember reading someting ages ago where a bodyboard bag was used. Granted he had to almost fully disassemble his bike to make it fit, but won as the airline didn't have any excess baggage fees for bodyboards and he could use the backpack style straps for transport.

Haven't done it myself, but if needed I'd definately give it a go!!

Roobiks

Cannon Fodder
EVOC look bloody good.
^^This.

I'm a rampy at the airport. EVOC bags are great, but just plain old bike boxes are just as good tbh.

Word of warning though, if you use a box, make sure any thin bars or axles or any sharp bits that can puncture through the box are wrapped in a rag or something.. That shit tears other peoples bags and are likely to be snapped off/bent on something.

herbman

Likes Dirt
The EVOC bag looks good but it weighs almost 9 kg!. This weighs less than 2 kg and will do just as good a job: http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-TAR-BAG.htm
That's an extra 7-8 kg of gear you can carry......
i have used one of these for the last few years, 4 trips to canada and god knows how many to trips to oz to see the inlaws......

easy to lug around the airport and if packed carefully as easy on the bike as a hard case. plus it packs down super small when not in use. plus most of the time the airlines think its just a odd shaped baq.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
+1 for the Tardis - I've also used one for years and it's perfect for XC/AM bikes. Unfortunately it is NOT big enough for a DH bike. I recently purchased the larger "Body Bag" from T7 and found it to be terrible. It's too big - even for a DH bike - and the top strap broke carrying out of my apartment on the way to the airport. Also the very thin material wore several holes in it during just one trip. I would choose a bike box over a Body Bag, but the Tardis is an absolute winner if you have anything other than a DH bike.

herbman

Likes Dirt
i got a GE body bag for my girl to use but what a ass of a thing, just to big.

am selling it at the moe.......

Shredden

Knows his goats
I just got a bike box when I went to NZ, worked fine but I wouldnt want to use it for more than one or two trips.