Best Pump on the trail

kooga

Likes Bikes
Did a quick search and couldn't find any information on which is the best pump to carry while out riding.
I got a couple of punctures yesterday while out and only had a mini pump which took me about 10 minutes of continuous pumping to get my 29er wheel back to reasonable pressure although i believe i got a pinch flat about 30 minutes laster.

Is there a decent small pump that i can get to make fixing these a lot quicker/easier

Mafra

Likes Bikes
I'm not sure how they go with tubeless/sealant etc. but for small space and effectiveness, it really is hard to go past CO2 canisters.

Get a small inflator head and just be aware you may need to use two canisters, depending on if you've got a 29er and how fat your tyres are.

You can't get canisters shipped on planes (eg wiggle etc) but people like cyclingexpress often have them on special for $1-2 each, just stock up when they do.

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
I use Crank Brothers...

Small and compact, can be stowed away on the bike or bag, high volume pump or high pressure if you're getting tired...

John U

MTB Precision
Topeak Morph. Works like a pit pump with the exertion being push against the ground instead of some cock eyed angle trying to hold it onto your valve. Any pump like this is the go.

Any other pump, to be blunt, is not worth the steam off your piss.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Topeak Morph. Works like a track pump with the exertion being push against the ground instead of some cock eyed angle trying to hold it onto your valve. Any pump like this is the go.

+1 for the Mountain Morph (and fixed it for you), Serfas do a similar pump also that is just as good. Everything else is not worth the effort.

markb84

Likes Dirt
Topeak Morph. Works like a pit pump with the exertion being push against the ground instead of some cock eyed angle trying to hold it onto your valve. Any pump like this is the go.

Another +1 it's great, had mine for years.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Did a quick search and couldn't find any information on which is the best pump to carry while out riding.
I got a couple of punctures yesterday while out and only had a mini pump which took me about 10 minutes of continuous pumping to get my 29er wheel back to reasonable pressure although i believe i got a pinch flat about 30 minutes laster.

Is there a decent small pump that i can get to make fixing these a lot quicker/easier
Have used/ owned the pumps nominated so far (plus a few), nothing, I repeat nothing beats the Lezynne Pressure drive (gotta love that flexible hose connection too).

http://www.lezyne.com/products/hand-pumps#Hand pumps Category2

As for the CO2 fan, yep until you get one more puncture than you have cartridges. Great for racing (esp. with tubeless) but the Lezynne weighs 102g for a medium (c.f two 20g cartidges and connector ~ 65g) and has unlimited air.

Last edited:

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt

+1 for the topeak.

T-bar handle makes pumping quick and easy
Flexible hose does not wreck valve and means you can brace against the ground. Even little foot brace to stand on.
Enough flow to even re-mount tubeless.

Had mine for years and still solid.

Sweeet.
And canisters. PS - Only gotcha with canister is gas does not stay in tube and will need to be manually pumped up latter. CO2 leaks through side walls.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2908

Last edited:

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
after trying to pump up a tyre and looking like a rabbit humping a football I got the Mountain Morph.

MUCH better - a bit heavier but so much quicker.

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Have used/ owned the pumps nominated so far (plus a few), nothing, I repeat nothing beats the Lezynne Pressure drive.

http://www.lezyne.com/products/hand-pumps#Hand pumps Category2

As for the CO2 fan, yep until you get one more puncture than you have cartridges. Great for racing (esp. with tubeless) but the Lezynne weighs 102g for a medium (c.f two 20g cartidges and connector ~ 65g) and has unlimited air.
^^This is the pump I take everywhere with me. Small enough to fit in the pocket of a jersey or easily in my camelbak, I have pumped a road tyre to about 100psi with it fairly easily, no worries with a mtb tyre. My favourite bit about this pump, is it has a little hose which stores inside itself that screws onto your valve when you are pumping, meaning you dont need to hold the pump directly onto the valve (snapping off those knobs on presta tubes for those of us that run presta). Plus it comes in lots of nice shiny colours.

Old C

Likes Bikes
The hidden hassle of a pump is after sitting on your bike for six months, un-used, when you go to use it, it is like a politician - full of shite! I have found the Lezyne pump listed above to be a very reliable pump. I had a Spesh pump that was virtually useless as it pushed more mud than air.

The only hassle with the lezyne pump is that the hose rattles in the barrel and when you screw the hose off the presta vavle, you can unscrew the core as well. Generally a very good pump though IMHO.