ACT Best of Canberra Mountain Bike Experience Workshops

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Completed.

Very happy about the cotter link. I'm one of those lunatics that likes doing rides out to the brindies etc so it will be nice to get off the road.

Main feedback was for more natural technical trails on the western side. I suspect my feedback will get drowned out by the 'mOaR fLoW' crowd but we'll see.
Why not both? I rode Breakout yesterday and the top is now technical, more than it should be because lack of maintenance, but the flow is sensational, averaging over 20km/h with no pedalling is so much fun.

Deep Creek is also great though, a real effort to go fast, so I put more of everything in the survey.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
separate trails for young and new riders as the trails are now overwhelmed by people with vastly differing skill levels - also heaps of young kids who are being put at risk riding the same trails as larger, faster and more experienced riders.
They still go down the trails they shouldn't, strong filter features required at entrances to certain trails IMO.

Thankfully these people still think there is nowhere else to ride in Canberra on the weekend so they are welcome to it.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Why not both? I rode Breakout yesterday and the top is now technical, more than it should be because lack of maintenance, but the flow is sensational, averaging over 20km/h with no pedalling is so much fun.

Deep Creek is also great though, a real effort to go fast, so I put more of everything in the survey.
I love deep creek and the more seldom traveled trails out back. I used to go ride them for hours getting lost when training to beat @moorey 's arse at the Mont 24hr.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I love deep creek and the more seldom traveled trails out back. I used to go ride them for hours getting lost when training to beat @moorey 's arse at the Mont 24hr.
page6image2347042672

The flow trail down to the Cotter may start at Deep Creek as per this proposal from a few years back (the start of Trail 1 above).

The blue return brings you back to Spin Doctor.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Last day to complete the survey.

Any Canberra locals (or visitors, it's open to you too) should get on and let them know what kind of trail you'd like to see.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Apparently there is a farwell to the old dirt carpark from 4:30 tomorrow arvo including skid comp, e-bike donut comp and flat track race. Not sure I can make it but will try.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The flow trail down to the Cotter may start at Deep Creek as per this proposal from a few years back (the start of Trail 1 above).
Looks like we could see the Cotter trail open in about two years, according to Marisa Paterson via the Friends of Stromlo Facebook:

Marisa Paterson MLA said:
Cotter Flow trail
The ACT Government is implementing a key recommendation from the 2021 Canberra Mountain Bike Report to build a link trail from University of Canberra Stromlo Forest Park (UCSFP) to the Cotter Precinct recreational area.
This project is being delivered by the ACT Parks and Conservation Service (PCS) with funding of $1.8m over 2023-24 and 2024-25. The preferred route identified in the supporting Draft Trail Development Plan - Best of Canberra’s Mountain Bike Experience commences at UCSFP, passes through nature reserve and ends at Casuarina Sands.
The route through UCSFP will be considered in the UCSFP Trails Masterplan process that is currently underway. Further ground truthing and due diligence is required for the trail segments outside UCSFP, including detailed ecological and heritage surveys that will help inform the most appropriate trail alignment and design to inform approval processes.
Targeted stakeholder engagement will be undertaken during this planning stage. Construction is proposed for November 2024 (pending approvals, design and procurement) with the aim of opening the new trail in spring 2025.

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
News from the Stromlo trail consultation (separate to the Cotter trail one) is that the Draft Masterplan is taking longer than anticipated, possibly until early next year. Hopefully we'll see some meaningful investment in new trails and trail rejuvenation.

However while we wait, the new BMX line is apparently not far off completion. Looks, er, hectic...

stromlo3.jpeg

stromlo2.jpeg

stromlo1.jpeg

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The 'what we heard' report has finally been released about the future of Stromlo - note this is separate to the Cotter Flow Trail project.

Not quite sure how this took three months to put together lol, but it's good to see that mountain bikers were an emphatic majority of the near 1000 respondents.

Thanks to all 'burners who took the time to add to the submissions.

Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 1.37.04 pm.png

Most respondents said there were not enough trails, and the condition and quality of trails was an issue impacting the trail user experience.
The majority of respondents (60%) said the masterplan’s main priority should be the addition of new tracks and trails. Most mountain bike riders wanted to see more trails of all levels (easy, intermediate and difficult).

The maintenance of and upgrade of existing tracks and trails was also supported by respondents. Better signage was another suggestion, particularly from equestrian users.

Amenities are considered important in terms of impacting how people spend their time at the park.
Suggestions for improved amenities included more water refill stations (45%), more food and drink options (34%), more parking at different locations around the site (27%), more shaded areas (24%) and more toilets (23%).

World Trail are going to release a Draft Masterplan in early 2024 so will be interested to see what they come up with.

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member

Stromlo are advertising for trail builders, so I assume the release of the Tracks and Trails master plan isn't far off.

Wonder if these roles will exist alongside Iconic who currently manage the network - anyone know?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Just visited Stromlo , last time was > 10 years ago.
Nice tracks very compact by Yackandandah standards with lots of intersections some confusing for the non locals but the variation in difficulty is really good .and love the rocks it makes life interesting.
The trees have really grown nicely but I was surprised that briars and blackberries seem to grow unimpeded, coming from a place when blackberries are rampant and sprayed regularly.
The fugly carpark OMG what a clusterfuck and ticket machines !!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Just visited Stromlo , last time was > 10 years ago.
Nice tracks very compact by Yackandandah standards with lots of intersections some confusing for the non locals but the variation in difficulty is really good .and love the rocks it makes life interesting.
The trees have really grown nicely but I was surprised that briars and blackberries seem to grow unimpeded, coming from a place when blackberries are rampant and sprayed regularly.
The fugly carpark OMG what a clusterfuck and ticket machines !!
How the FUCK did they not put some trees in that goddamned carpark?

Great job at making a giant heat pad, arseholes.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
There used to be some trees closer to the edge of the crit track, they were removed a while back, I'm guessing so they didn't drop leaves on the track. It was insanely hot doing the skateboard race on the weekend. Did you see the skateboard people on the crit track @rowdyflat ?