Bargain buys thread

cammas

Seamstress
These seem like a good deal, with a few other things on special but may not tickle the fancy for some of you, the way LTIH thread has been going

Last edited:

Jabubu

let you google that for me
EOFY and the squeeze is really on -

Some great mid-travel trail bikes -

Save a $1,000 and spend it on some 2.4 tyres and lighter but still tough wheels -

Or better brakes and wheels -

Or eeeeeebiking -

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Large Canyon Spectral 125 XT carbon for $4500

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Large Canyon Spectral 125 XT carbon for $4500

This is even better if you want 27.5 and it's alloy -

safreek

Apart from second-hand cars for 17yr olds, people still looking 30%+ above Redbook. I've hinted at a couple that they were a bit high without lowballing or sounding like a dick but the only way to play it is tell them its a bit out of his budget as he's paying for it himself and if they drop the price, to let me know.

Or play the waiting game, keeping an eye if its still there a week or two later... then might nail them with a lowball (low for them, not RedBook)
Just low-ball them on the other Facebook account/accounts you have. Prime them for a sensible offer

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is even better if you want 27.5 and it's alloy -
Olins suspension? Worth it? I don't know much about them.

Scotty675

Cable thief
These seem a decent deal if your after a boutique fork

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
@pink poodle - have you mentioned having Etnies shoes at some point? (I have a vague recollection you've tried them, but can't remember if impressions were good or bad...) But these are possibly of interest if good...

[EDIT] Or @wkkie for the green Cambers... :p

gippyz

Likes Dirt
@pink poodle - have you mentioned having Etnies shoes at some point? (I have a vague recollection you've tried them, but can't remember if impressions were good or bad...) But these are possibly of interest if good...

I'm on an etnies now. Not as grippy as my previous freerider, but very decent. Shaped a lot like a skate shoes, so not exactly comfortable for a long ride. I have a problem with mine in that the tongue kept on sliding down and digging into my feet. I've used different form of lacing and the tongue still slides down. So my 2 cents is, buy it if it's super cheap and you are ok with skate shoes shape, else look elsewhere. I bought mine for $45 or $50. So won't complain much.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'm on an etnies now. Not as grippy as my previous freerider, but very decent. Shaped a lot like a skate shoes, so not exactly comfortable for a long ride. I have a problem with mine in that the tongue kept on sliding down and digging into my feet. I've used different form of lacing and the tongue still slides down. So my 2 cents is, buy it if it's super cheap and you are ok with skate shoes shape, else look elsewhere. I bought mine for $45 or $50. So won't complain much.
My wording was a bit vague there. I solely (geddit...? :p) wear high-tops for MTB and am currently using Unparallel West Ridges and finding them great. The Chromag Daggas are chipping away the soles a bit quicker than I'd like - but the trade-off is the grip, comfort and ankle protection* (because high-tops) are all excellent. It's actually surprising how much grip the sole gives given it's a relatively firm/supportive sole overall.

*Protection mostly for just not whacking my bony ankles into things like crank arms and pedals accidentally when stationary, but I imagine it would also be helpful in crash and tumble scenarios.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

I have! I have some beat up marana with Michelin sole. They are very narrow for size and even now as they approach death they haven't stretch wide enough for me to be comfortable in with the laces as loose as they can go. The Michelin sole is not as grippy as I would like either, but it is a bit grippy.

I also have the barge...which is a freaking awesome shoe! Grip for days on the pedals. While a bit narrow out of the box, they do eventu stretch out to be very comfy. I had a pair blow out of the sole a few weeks ago riding poorly at a skate park. But I purchased 2 pairs to replace them for $50 each. I also have a pair I wear for work.

One of my friends has the semenuk you linked. He has a narrower foot and still finds them to be a tight fit. No complaints about the grip. He now owns a pair of the barge.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
My wording was a bit vague there. I solely (geddit...? :p) wear high-tops for MTB and am currently using Unparallel West Ridges and finding them great. The Chromag Daggas are chipping away the soles a bit quicker than I'd like - but the trade-off is the grip, comfort and ankle protection* (because high-tops) are all excellent. It's actually surprising how much grip the sole gives given it's a relatively firm/supportive sole overall.

*Protection mostly for just not whacking my bony ankles into things like crank arms and pedals accidentally when stationary, but I imagine it would also be helpful in crash and tumble scenarios.
High tops are the king. I had a 510 impact high few years back that unfortunately fell apart (beyond saving) after 2 years. They are not as grippy as my freerider (which sole has now also fell apart) with but the high tops prevent craps from getting into the shoes when I ride.