Australian Army Ration Packs

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, I only ever used it in jest and hated when people were serious about it.

The only true pogos were the non-combat blokes that acted all wary.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
From my experience the main offenders were in the 17-20 year old age bracket and usually had cam cream behind their ears on a Friday night at A's. Oh the shame...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
From my experience the main offenders were in the 17-20 year old age bracket and usually had cam cream behind their ears on a Friday night at A's. Oh the shame...
A's, oh, my, god. :eek::rolleyes:

I can proudly say that I'd only visited that place about 3-4 times. I also had a life/lived off base.

So, you army types... Why is a softdrink known as a "Goffer"?
Probably for the same reason a chocolate bar is called a gumpy and a hill is called a yama.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Probably for the same reason a chocolate bar is called a gumpy and a hill is called a yama.
I'm quite interested in this sort of job specific slang. When i was an apprentice on the railways we had a couple of terms of our own:

A "Bung", which meant a counselling form which had a number of boxes to tick on the back regarding the specific offence. There were lots of choices such as "Asleep on Duty" and "Playing cards on Duty" and I suspect the form dated back to the 1920's. Apparently "Bung" was a corruption of the racist "Boong" i.e a black mark against your name

Crib Break, which was your lunch break. I'm sure it relates to sleeping, and it dates back into the 1890's and possibly earlier (from my own research). I know for a fact it pre dates the popular usage of the word "Crib", although is possibly derived from American railway parlance which would have had access to Negro railway slang

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Sleeping bag - farter
eating food - having a fang
sleeping - gonking
sheet fold impressions on the face post sleep - gonk scars
walking long distances carrying your pack - humping
walking with pack over hills - humping yamas
flat piece of plastic sulng between trees to sleep under - hootchie (hoot sounds like foot)
doing the dirty on your mates (not pulling your weight, etc.) - going jack
non-issue rations - jack rats

There's heaps more but hopefully some of the other fellas will jog my memory...

Last edited:

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Johnny if you want to urn your memory around the block until its dead...http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Australian_military_slang
A lot of those terms are directly from British Millitary slang, which is no problem as far as I'm concerened seeing as thats where most of our military history is from!

But they've got some of thier own.

I remember watching a doco with a guy who was a former UK Para and another who was a former UK Royal Marine and they were both up in arms about a section of the film desecribing the SAS as "Yomping" to Goose Green in the Falklands. Apparently only Royal Marines (or Paras) "Yomp". (or the other way around... anyway they were both quite offended by the misuse of the word)

AnCqLdBoY

Cannon Fodder
Sorry For bumpin this.. BUT

Some info u guys Phucked up

ok

a WA guy was on a Survy camp.. and he ate i think Pack D or E.. With peanuts.. cant remember.. Yea he was an Army Cadet.. Sorry but.. Bit dopey eh.. Just read the Menu List :)

Well i still got the old ones with Tobby sauce and EVERY THING!! Dam Brilliant!!

Last year maybe... We was cookin the Beef.. or Spag.. and BANG we were all coverd in Spag and Beef and All that... and we was doing a Paint ball War.. and we had the brilliant hiding spot... it kinda fucked shit up... At 2 AM just all u hear is BANG. then me yelling OMG FUCK... crawling out... And then Paintballs flying at us... So we was kinda Pinned down.. i Got up Climmed a tree.. started shootin... i was up there till bout 0330 And i went.. hmm Cheese.. i open some cheese up.. ate Half Of it.. then im like.. OMG i need the Dunny (piss) So i piss off the Side of where i was... that was a mistake... Paintballs Comming at me again... And Cause we had Infered and All that gear... Of COS... Piss is HOT!!! so How you doing... i jumped down.. Ran for it..
about 0545 i come outa some cane.. And i stumble along some Crews Camp.//.. And i made these Bombs that Splatter paint... Kinda like Grandades.. So i se one in the middle... And this is one of those wars.. U get Owned by Paint.. ur out... i had a paint ball get my Right ass cheek but thats it... then i set it to go boom at 0600 .. 0600 BANG.. Holy FUCK!! then i see about 6 Guys running and shootin... so im running to... I Was shooting heaps.. trying to find where my Camp went... So ration packs Can be fun.. but they Cause mischief..

Any WAY!

i do belive B is best.. ill need to read the Menus again

wtr

Likes Dirt
Persons On Garrison Operations.

Basically, it was a term coined for people in the army who never really leave the base when on operations. Then it became people who aren't in combat roles. IT has since developed into a term for any type of soldier not in an infantry unit. Now it has become anyone who is or was never a paratrooper. But as far as I'm concerned, it's a fitting label for anyone who was never an assault pioneer in an airbourne unit..., no, wait, it means anyone who is not me. :)
I don't know if I invented this phrase or heard it and claimed it as my own; "There is a fine line between a hard c*nt and a dumb c*nt".
Haha, highlighted just for you, Johnny. Got to love the pogs.:)

woodyjbh

Likes Dirt
Without the pogue's (As its correctly spelt...) the army wouldnt run....

Although, i'm in the fortunate position of being a pogue and also being in the battle theatre on regular occasion.

And if any of you have any problem with the army crp's, you should try spending five days living in the desert off the american MRE's....

Wood

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Sorry, it's actually POGO as it stands for Persons On Garrison Operations.

It's not Pogue at all, people just use the word that way but it's incorrect....,

ya pogo!

joy boy

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Sorry for another Gravedig, pretty big one. But I'm going out field with my unit this weekend, and we're taking out the new HungerBuster 24hr Cadet Rat Packs. They're fairly new, it's our units first time, but apparently they were also used on the South East QLD Annual Camp '09.

So digging back up to find out if any one's come up with any new recipe's for these new Packs?

If you want the lists I can put 'em Up. Pretty much the same except with 2 min noodles as well.

aloo95

Likes Bikes
i recon rat pack "c" is the best but i really love the cheese ( not cause it tastes good but cause its madd fun to blow it up at like 0200 and watch every 1 sneek up to the centre think wat the f**k just happened i swear that is still my faveourite memory from my bivs