Are Skins worth $139?

justinb

Likes Bikes
I paid $300 for a full length bib pair of cycle skins (i.e padding)

love them.. I've crashed a few times on the road and no tears or anything..

cycled in 5 degrees and 35 degrees... just beautiful...

Justin

spikenet

Likes Dirt
There has been plenty of research into the use of compression garments to aid recovery.. a quick search on google and the first hit is this article:

http://www.jssm.org/vol5/n1/12/v5n1-12pdf.pdf

Rather interesting read and you can all draw your own conclusions.
I hate being the DA but its pretty much what I was expecting, they are looking for an effect for ECCENTRIC exercise which unfortunately MTB riding is not one.. and really, the conclusion says it all;

The data suggests that wearing compression garments in the recovery from eccentric exercise may alter the inflammatory response to damage and accelerate the repair
processes inside of the muscle. However, further studies are warranted (blah blah)

most of the research referenced is aimed at populations with impaired lung function, mitochondrial disease, Duchenne muscular dystrophy etc etc...

hey, if these things worked I'd hand over my $200 so I dont get DOMS..

Last edited:

kermit

Likes Bikes
I've just got back into riding after a layoff . My muscles would get sore after a 15 km road ride . I brought a long set of Skins & completed that half fling & was able to walk the next day fine . I think that they are worth it as a training aid to help recovery .
Kev

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Easily worth the above mentioned money IMO..

I am a long time subscriber to the theory of skins..

If you are in any sport where your training or competing more than your once a week, weekend warrior ride, they are going to greatly enhance your ability to keep backing up!

Even the weekend warrior will feel the benefits of skins.

Its understandable that people dont want to pay the money but its really a small amount to pay for the help they provide!

As for the 2xu garments, they are considered to be the best out there and there long tights have a rrp of $185.

There is a reason so many sports teams across so many different playing fields use this technology.....

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
There is a reason so many sports teams across so many different playing fields use this technology.....

For quite some time smoking was used to enhance atheltic ability

then static stretching before participation was were it was at for quite awhile.

both of those have since proven to be bad for you.... just because everyone jumps off a cliff doesn't mean some of us want to follow.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Tights under cricket pants = epic/major success.
I have the GN short, with hector pocket. At the end of the day the only thing sore is my calfs, although now they are starting to lose the elasticity. One of my mates has skins (he plays grade) and he couldn't be happier. He also has the top. Definatly thinking about investing in some full lengths for riding.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt

then static stretching before participation was were it was at for quite awhile.

both of those have since proven to be bad for you.... just because everyone jumps off a cliff doesn't mean some of us want to follow.
Interesting comment.. At what stage do you start believing ?

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
Ok. i have a confession to make for my previous post in this thread. I lied because im not sure if people can understand or would try.

But truth is. i dont use my skins for cycling, my legs muscles never get sore or tired from repetetive movements like cycling.

What i really use them for and NEED it for is my traditional martial arts training, without my skins my legs are sore for a whole week before they go back to normal.

I beleive this is because my muscles are slow twitch fibers from years of enduro/XC riding and when i try to do fast powerful dynamic impacts/kicks/jumps over and over again they really do damage me. I tried soo many things before i tried skins ie. more protein, protein after training, extra long cool down, stretching you name it. Until i used these i was speechless.

So .. Don't hurt me for lieing but.. its worth it.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I was certainly not saying it should be taken as gospel but if your average punter can feel a noticeable difference, like many here have said, then they must be doing something right!

I promise you, if you could replicate 2 long, gut busting rides, then recover as normal and compare it to a recovery using any compression products, you would notice a signifigant difference in soreness (DOMS) and energy levels!!

But different things work for different people i guess..

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
I often ride consecutive days, generally pretty hard. Never had an issue with recovery at all (granted im only doing probably 2-3hrs ride max).

I have no doubts they help, but it makes me wonder how the hell did all these pro athletes ever manage to recover at all without them over the last 100 years! :p:p

scratchy

Farkin Activist
OK, well I went off to BigW and picked up a pair of Slazenger BioSlyx Compression Training Garment.

The legs were $40 which is about all my Placebo is good for!

carpo

Likes Bikes
yeah skins are easily worth that and they work so well on the ride stoping muscle vibration which prevents fatugie and you feel so much better on long rides, they are also good for recovery straight after a ride, they make you feel so much better in the morning. so yeah they are worth it easily

Al_D

Likes Bikes
Contrary to the ads, it seems you don't need to buy them after all.....HERE
Maybe you should though, now they need the money:p

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Someone can pay me $thousands just for wearing a pair of tight-fitting duds but I am not sure the sight would be worth it...

I love mine, but paid $10 in a discount bin at Rebel... I do however get better
"compression" from my expensive Pearl Izumi bib knicks.

Simmo.

Likes Dirt
I've got the half tights ($80 or something, like, 8 months ago), use them mainly for footy training and running, they seem to work, muscles seem to slowly warm down, and don't really get any soreness after recovery, or days after. Also, no real wear in them either, wearing them during games or anything. Seem to last.:D Suprisingly, haven't tried wearing them while riding, but will do over holidays as I'll be riding tons more.