Are Skins worth $139?

bazza

look at me
my perception on Skins

reason for buying Skins over other brands
+ higher rates of compression and they are the leading brand in this gear
+ put the money into research and development rather than giving the design to a Chinese factory and asking them to mass produce
+ offer great quality assurance, have never had a pair fail on me and when i told the rep i had a set pilling after 6 months he offered a replacement on the spot for a new pair.
+ UP50+
+ good quality antibacterial material (been well tested :) ), gross but helpful when you don't have access to decent quality washing facilities.

cycling
legs - use them for recovery only, your crazy to wear them under knicks, most good quality knicks have some form of compression benefits anyway and far better chamois designs.
I have been extremelly happy with my legs and tried a few nights without them and with them while over in NZ (riding 5-8 hours a day) and did notice the difference in the morning after sleeping in them.

tops - have used the vest in NZ and really enjoyed it, I was having lower back problems on the longer rides and I found the days I used it I did notice the difference. It was less about the compression and more about pulling me back into posture because of the design/fit of the garmet. weird but it worked. anything over 25 degrees I wouldn't run it though. haven't tried the new ICE range.

running
this is where they really do add benefits. go nuts here. I don't run though.

travel
sports skins - comrpession rates tend to be a bit high for long haul travel, would recommend cheaper versions of skins (under armour, kmart etc) or the Jet Skins