Votes: 21 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 125 71.0%
  • Mabey

Votes: 30 17.0%

• Total voters

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seems as though apple have done it again. First the iPod, then the iPhone and now the iPad.

Apple Website http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

Pictures http://www.macworld.com/article/145959/2010/01/handson_ipad.html

Articles http://www.macworld.com/article/145938/2010/01/tabletannouncement1.html

Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poaUbmdUcCY

and what it is actually meant to be http://www.break.com/index/ipad14.html :cool:

[video=youtube;lsjU0K8QPhs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs[/video]

Fire Away with your opinions on their latest creation....​

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Tablet PCs have been around for years.

To think it's revolutionary is nothing but a testament to the effectiveness of Apple's marketing juggernaut. And perhaps the gullibility of consumers :p

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tablet PCs have been around for years.

To think it's revolutionary is nothing but a testament to the effectiveness of Apple's marketing juggernaut. And perhaps the gullibility of consumers :p
Yeah as a matter of fact i already have a tablet that our school uses. I never use the tablet functionality because it isn't that elegant. ooh i used a big word :D

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Sorry to add another post but can I just say, reference Apple's webpage:
"The large Multi-Touch screen on iPad lets you see web pages as they were meant to be seen — one whole page at a time."

Bullcrap! Web pages were built to be displayed on a regular PC screen. There would not be one in a thousand web pages out there that were designed to be displayed on an portrait-oriented A4 size screen.

... AND ANOTHER THING, they say:
"The large, high-resolution screen makes iPad perfect for watching any kind of video: from HD movies and TV shows, to podcasts and music videos."
But the display is only 1024x768 resolution. That's not "high resolution" for a computer screen by anyone's definition. Even cheapie 14" laptops have more pixels. BUNKUM!

Last edited:

donny70

Likes Dirt
I'm going to have to wear cargo pants to carry this around, I wonder if it makes phone calls?
That'd look funny. Although you could just buy a dell or msi netbook for about $400 and put OS X on it.
heaps more memory and disk space...

Last edited:

LJohn

Likes Dirt
If it's anything like an Ipod touch this thing will SELL. I wouldn't buy the first generation, but it stands to be a very powerful tool. I went full mac recently. Ipod touch, Macbook pro and an airport express, and it's simply brilliant. I don't have to use shitty computer speakers for music, I can simply wake up, and get my itunes to play through my stereo system. It's set up a wireless network. No virus problems, no windows slow down, powerful computer etc. etc. /mac fanboyism.

But basically this could become a great tool. I might get the second or third gen just as a note taking device for lectures. Especially if they put a camera and/or microphone in. If it can run Iwork (which is at least on par with Office, despite shitty name) it WILL be great. Especially for $500. Jobs has his shit down. Apple makes some pretty nice gear.

wolfjjj

Likes Dirt
Yawn, another locked down DRM filled POS, I think I'll pass.

Oh forgot to mention it also sounds like a feminine product ... the new iPad, now with wings.

Last edited:

tangcla

Likes Dirt
Tablet portable machine with multi-touch would be much nicer to use than current Windows-based machines with single-touch screens.

That's about it. I've never used a tablet PC before, but comparing the iPhone compared to any other touchphone on the market, the screen is that much easier to use.

scblack

Leucocholic
I like the look and idea of it, and may get one in the next year or so. My current laptop is slowing down, and one hinge is broken. But I would have to spend extra for an external DVD burner, and probably an external HDD.

Any idea if you can play standard bought movie DVD's on it? Not downloaded stuff, and in places like the bus I commute to work on?

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I won't buy one. I have an iMac and one of the squat iPod Nanos for music, that's all I need. I wouldn't have any use for an iPad.
• If I want to read a book, I want to read it printed on paper, same goes for a newspaper or a magazine. I couldn't imagine staring at a bright LED screen for hours reading a book.
• If I'm at uni, I write lecture notes using pen and paper, it's quicker, more accurate and more natural. I learn more and I keep my writing hand up to speed for exams. I can write words, do calculations and draw pictures without any hassles… who would've thought it.
• I use a calendar on my computer to help plan things, but I don't feel the need to carry it around with me all the time, I can remember when I have to do things.

Most importantly, I don't want to be contactable all the time and I don't want to do everything I do through a screen.

Also, it doesn't have USB, so all current peripherals can't connect, you will have to wait for external DVD drives that connect via the dock connector, and, if its all application based, how do you access your files if they aren't linked into an application and where are they stored?

Last edited:

cressa

Likes Dirt
if its all application based, how do you access your files if they aren't linked into an application and where are they stored?
This is my biggest concern. It's not a personal computer as such, therefore not really a competitor to laptops. It does not run OSX. That said, I can't see how it would applications like the Iworks packages etc. It really is just a big ipod touch - which is still pretty bloody cool.

scblack

Leucocholic
I just looked into it a bit further. It is just an overgrown iPhone basically. It does not have Intel based or similar chips in it, it has to dock and sync to a computer, does not have USB connections directly to it.

It's not enough to replace a laptop, so therefore I won't consider it. It's just another Apple gadget, maybe useful for people like students who download textbooks etc.

I will not consider getting one.

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
Might be okay for the family room or kitchen, just left on the coffee table or kitchen bench for web browsing etc, instead of a netbook. Lack of Flash player might limit it like the iPod.

Mobywan

Likes Dirt
Also, it doesn't have USB, so all current peripherals can't connect, you will have to wait for external DVD drives that connect via the dock connector, and, if its all application based, how do you access your files if they aren't linked into an application and where are they stored?
USB adaptor will be available for cameras, SD cards, etc.

The browsing on an iphone is so much easier for someone with shitty eyesight like myself. I can zoom in and out of pages as I need to so this aspect appeals to me even nore with an ipad because it's an easier screen to read. I don't want to use a laptop at home so having something I can sit outside with in broad daylight and get web, mail, games, etc is ideal.

There are shortfalls - the no Flash issue is a big one. The keyboard will be interesting too.

I see it as sitting between the iphone and a netbook... not replacing either 100% but filling the gap.