Apollo Bay XC

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
"I'd love to see the Otways turn into something like they have in Wales where you can ride for days between forest towns linked up via singletrack. So, for example, a trail that starts at somewhere like Barwon Downs on the edge of the Otways, goes through Forrest (and around all it's loop tracks), Barramunga, Beech Forest (bit of a climb to here), maybe past the Otway Fly Rainforest Walk, Lavers Hill, Cape Otway then back to Apollo Bay. I went off-road driving all through all these towns in the Subie a few months ago and it's all perfect for trail building and exploring. Build a network like that and you'll get people from all over the world wanting to check it out."

What the UK has that we haven't is a vast network of bridle ways (read horse trails) that existed pre fences. Access to these has been maintained through the ensuing private property fencing as public way/crown land or somesuch. MTB/walking tracks have since utilised these public right-of ways to create a extnesive network of tracks overing teh UK.

Unfortunately we never had such right-of ways predating fences, and thus linking up towns in this way is for the most part very difiicult.

Not negating your thoughts, just commenting on why the UK has such a network and we likely never will.

Hud

Likes Dirt
I'm still hopig for a riding buddy at Forrest. I'll be happy to come up from Apollo Bay any day over the Easter break, (Thursday to tuesday)
Cheers
Hud