Apollo Bay XC

Derek Yates

Soul Rider
Hi All,

Heading down to Apollo Bay in a week or so for a few days of Sun, Sand and Bikes. Can anyone tell me if there are any good XC singletracks in the area to ride and if the Forrest trails from the big Otway race a few weeks back are open to the public?

Looking for fun trails without too many monster climbs if possible.

Any links to maps or trails in the area would be appreciated. Anyone keen on a ride in the area we'll be down that way over the labor day weekend!

Cheers!

Derek

Matty_P

Likes Dirt
Lots of single track around Forrest, along with the Beechy rail trail.

Am actually heading down there this Saturday (March 10) to ride with a mate from Colac & some others. Have only ridden the there once before so am looking forward trying it out again...

Not aware of any links but willl send them through if I find them.

Matt

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
All the trials around Forest are awesome, and open to the public. Corrct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't any XC trails in/around Apollo Bay itself. Not aware of any links to maps at this stage, Parks Vic have a map (double sided, with Lysty on teh reverse), but I haven't found this online yet)

Snozza

Full Gas Promotions
The map is from BV. But the Forrest trails on the map are pretty much out of date, and may actually hinder more than help your exploring!

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
I'm not sure about the Yaugher Super loop, but all the tracks marked on there south of Forest are correct. Once you are on the tracks, you can't really go wrong. There is soem unfinished new trackwork on the Rollercoaster, but it dead ends so you won't get lost.

I think once you are on teh Yaugher you also can't get lost.

The locals tell me there is a stack more track around, but it ain't officially mapped anywehere, and needs a knowledgeable local to show you where they are.

Al_D

Likes Bikes
Here's a copy of the map from the Odessey, enjoy the red carpet track down into Forrest, there's also some nice single track into heading down to the East side of Lake Elizabeth (not marked). There's some decent hills through these areas though...

Yaughers 'flatter' and has lots of twisty singletrack, enjoy exploring.

Attachments

Beej1

There's a nice bit of single track I found last time I was down there - it's the Old Horden Vale Road, of which a large section closed many years ago, and has since overgrown and makes for a fast flowing windy bit of downhill. Not a super steep gradient, given that it used to be an actual road, but it's fun nonetheless. I think the locals call this 'Marengo Hill'

Heading west away from Apollo Bay on the GOR, you go through Marengo, up the hill and after a while you'll be riding a along a ridge with Ocean to left, lush green hills to right (might be lush brown hills these days). Eventually you'll pass the road to Shelley Beach on your left, then after about a km you'll see the sign for the Old Horden Vale Rd on your right. By this time you'd done a pretty serious road climb (maybe scope it out in a car first - or get a car to drop you up there if lazy)

Turn right into Old Horden Vale Road, and it kinda doubles back towards AB. This road is essentially just a dirt driveway now for a few properties. If you're lucky you'll get to race the sheep as they run off. After a 100 or so meters the road will end with a red brick gate to someone's property. To the left of this you'll see the road dissappear into the bush - follow this. Like I said, it's a nice, fast flowing track that winds down the hill. Really loamy under tyre which makes a nice change from dir/gravel/mud. If you're doing it early morning send someone else down first - HEAPS of spidey webs. When I last rode it there were some decent jumps along the way to get over major potholes and other obstacles. After a while the track will widen back out again and you'll start riding past houses. Very picturesque.

Eventually you hit Barham River Road (bitumen) - turning right takes you back into AB. If you want an alternate route, turn right again off this after about a km - can't remember the name, but the road goes between two slightly industrial looking properties then up a short steep hill before turning into a T intersection - all visible from Barham River Road. Ride up this hill and turn left and you'll seem like you're heading into someone's property. You kinda are, but I think it's OK, since veering left to go in front of this house, I think is another old, disused road. I had to open their gate - nobody seemed to send the hounds after me. Follow this semi-dirt, semi-grown over track along the front of this house, down through a gully, along a fence line, then the track will eventually veer right into the scrub. Follow this track and you'll eventually hit a dipper (go fast so you get up the other side). Just after the top of this on the left in the bush is what I can only describe as a 'track in progress.' Someone, or some people, have definitely gone to some effort to try and build a bit of single track here leading down the hill through the scrub, with berms, log edges and everything. I followed it once until I couldn't find the track any more. Any locals reading this should get back up there and finish it. Otherwise, skip this track and eventually, you'll end up in the back streets of Marengo. Follow the sounds of the Ocean and you'll end up back on the GOR. Turn left to get back to AB.

Heading down there this weekend myself. If we have time after doing the Otways loops around Forrest, I'll be there myself. But I seriously doubt anyone will want to bother with this track after doing the Otways.

np.

Derek Yates

Soul Rider
Cheers

Thanks for all the good info. I'll see what i get to hit up when we get there. See ya'll on the trail.

You had to mention snakes..... I HATE snakes (well ones that I have to share a trail with anyway!).

Cheers,

Derek

Derek Yates

Soul Rider
Sweet

Hey,

I ended up doing a full days riding around Forrest of the new trails there and the track out towards Lake Elizabeth. I took a hardtail and wished I had my dually as the tracks are pretty bumpy and undualting with no major climbs (ok maybe one). The tracks are still new so they need a lot more 'riding in' to make them fast but they are really fun. Nothing too techo but lots of good flowing stuff. There is a cool little 'black diamond' section with some log rollovers and log rides with some small doubles and lots of berms.

There were quite a lot of riders out on the trails so it seems the secret is very much out!

I didn't know what to expect before we arrived but they were heaps of fun to ride and have lots of new sections under construction. It was well worth the 3hr drive from Melbourne. The track builders have done a great job considering the location is the middle of nowhere (but VERY nice).

I think there would be a lot more trails to explore if you had a full map and more time and there is a caravan park in town and a pub over the road.

Anyway if you like fun singletrack like Lysterfield and want a shorter blast of XC without too many lung busters, Forrest is well worth a look. Make sure you get a Red Bull flavoured icecream in Apollo Bay on the way home :).

Cheers,

Derek

PS. I didn't see any Snakes!

Derek Yates

Soul Rider
Perahps thats why it was a 3 hour drive (going via Apollo Bay)? The inland way if far faster (especially as you are already in Forest)...
Yeah, we went inland on the way there, then back via the GOR. The side trip to Apollo Bay was purely for icecream.....mmmm I love icecream....
Plus when you are that close to some of the greatest beaches in Vic, you have to see the sea!

Cheers,

Derek

Hud

Likes Dirt
Good stuff. I hope to spend Easter in Apollo Bay (and Forrest!)
I wonder what the locals think about Forrest suddenly becoming a tourist destination? I'm sure the local business' are happy but is the Forrest community 'pro MTB' or do they resent their loss of peace and quiet?

Hud

Likes Dirt
Will anyone be riding at Forrest on the 5/4? That's the thursday before Good Friday. I'll be doing some/all of the trails there on the way to Apollo Bay. It'd be good to have a riding buddy for safety etc, preferably someone who's done it before. I'll probably be ready to ride around 9-10am.

Cheers
Hud

Beej1

Good stuff. I hope to spend Easter in Apollo Bay (and Forrest!)
I wonder what the locals think about Forrest suddenly becoming a tourist destination? I'm sure the local business' are happy but is the Forrest community 'pro MTB' or do they resent their loss of peace and quiet?
Good point - my initial thought is that business owners would welcome any increase in tourist numbers - but I guess all we're going to be spending money on for the most part will be food (provided there's something decent) and alcohol (at this pub that's been mentioned). I wonder if anyone will open a bike shop there? I remember reading somewhere on the DSE website that the locals had taken a pretty active role in this development, so at least some of them must be OK on the whole with what's happening.

I'd love to see the Otways turn into something like they have in Wales where you can ride for days between forest towns linked up via singletrack. So, for example, a trail that starts at somewhere like Barwon Downs on the edge of the Otways, goes through Forrest (and around all it's loop tracks), Barramunga, Beech Forest (bit of a climb to here), maybe past the Otway Fly Rainforest Walk, Lavers Hill, Cape Otway then back to Apollo Bay. I went off-road driving all through all these towns in the Subie a few months ago and it's all perfect for trail building and exploring. Build a network like that and you'll get people from all over the world wanting to check it out.