Anyone live in Busselton? Thinking of moving there, what are schools like?

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We currently live in Nannup. Have two kids, one has just turned 8 (in year 2) and the other is going on to 10 (is in yr 4).

The school here has been good but it only goes to year 10 so we've started thinking weather when the right time to move is. We could bus them to Bussselton for year 11 and 12 when they get to that stage but that would mean driving 15km to town every morning to drop them off to a 7am bus and then they have a 45min trip, likewise to pick them up, no thanks really. Some people actually do Bus their kids to private schools in Busselton for primary or high school, but particularly high school.
Anyway recently I looked at student numbers. There is only 16 kids total in the high school here and the yr 10 class has only 3!!!! Even though my kids are still in primary, where the numbers are quite good the classes are already being combined (ie my Daughter who is in yr 2 her class is split up as a yr1/2 and yr2/3, with about 5 students being in with the yr 1's and the rest combined with the yr 3's). My Son's class was split last year to be yr 2/3 and yr 3/4. This year it's yr 4/5 and 5/6.

So we are thinking of moving to Busselton at the end of next year, mainly for the benefit of their schooling, it would give them time to settle in a bit before the oldest starts high school (should be changed to yr7 by then). The smaller class numbers can be a good thing, but far out if you're one of 3 students in year 10 I think you would be in for a big shock when you go on to yr11 somewhere else! Also thinking of the fact that when they're old enough to want a job at least in Busselton they can try for Wollies, Maccas and the like. Here in Nannup it would be a case of being related to someone or knowing the right people. Most jobs seem to be word of mouth and gone before I even know they were available (apart from jobs with the council etc)

If we can afford to we would be looking at buying or consider building a house.

So if anyone lives in Busselton any tips on which of the Govt high schools are better? And which areas are better to live?

If we did buy I think dear Husband would be keen on small acerage (like half an acre or an acre) if it was possible. Otherwise walking distance to the beach would be nice. Moving will take some adjustment regardless as at the moment we live on a 7.5ac bush block about 15km from the town of Nannup, and it suits him as he's not that into socializing lol. He drives to and from Perth and works away so Busselton will reduce his travel time slightly too. And there are other advantages for moving, more employment opportunities for me at least, and convenience if / when I eventually can't drive due to my eyesight.

Bunbury seems to be a bit too much like a suburb of Perth really. Would potentially consider other towns but I think Busselton is nice and has a lot of growth potential should we buy a place.

Since it's flat there probably isn't any point asking about riding ha ha. Oh but my favorite bike shop is in Busso.