Anyone interested in regular training session? (Melbourne)

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nah that's 55km including the 30km traveled to and from the stockyards, but Great Cicrle drv has lovely big fucker hills, especaly in the hot sun. :oops:

25km at the stockyards aint bad concidering the time I was there, Basicly jusr rode up and down the first 2 DH sections up the top a few time, and rode the new section a few times too other than that I just rode round :p It was very, very dusty, and lots of great big ruts from the race I presume.

Most I have rode there (stockyards) is bout 40kms; 56km out at Anikie is alot of hilly work too fun!

Cant wait to try the stockyards with the soon to be rig, got her down to 10.498 kg's on paper using http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/ as a reference....Could go lighter :D

John U

MTB Precision
I would be keen to do the yan yean ride this saturday morning if anyone is up for it (10/01)

luckyphil

Likes Dirt
i'm interested but at the mo i've only got a soinglespeed so i probably wouldnt be able to keep up. defenitly interested in the future tho.

LordNikon

Uber Geek
Definitely interested in Saturday morning John... gonna have to negotiate transport somehow but it's do-able.

Phil, as far as I'm concerned you're welcome to come and at least try to keep up. It's not like we're out there to race... just to get more miles in the saddle, and riding a single speed you're likely to get a better work out than anyone else anyway. :p lol

Anyone else up for it?

John U

MTB Precision
LN. forgot to tell you my fitness isn't that great either but i'm keen to have a crack at it. A bloke at work says the uphill 8 k's isn't that steep, a fairly constant gradient, but he's a fit bastard so that's no big help. phil, from the sound of it you wouldn't have any trouble keeping up.

DEVLIN

Likes Dirt
JUST A QUICK HINT FOR YOU GUYS. DON'T TRY AND GO OUT AND RIDE YOURSELF INTO THE GROUND ON EACH RIDE. IF YOU CAN DO AS MANY DAYS AS POSSIBLE EACH WEEK, YOUR BODY WILL ADAPT QUICKER AND YOU WILL END UP FITTER. ONLY DO ABOUT 1-2 STRENGTH DAYS A WEEK. THE MORE OFTEN YOU TRAIN, RATHER THAN TRAINING TO FAILURE, THE BETTER.

LordNikon

Uber Geek
That's a good point Devlin, I've seen people training that way who have ended up less fit than they started. It's all about pushing yourself a little then recovering, then pushing yourself a little more, then recover.

The more often you can repeat that cycle the fitter you will get.

Just as an example my training routine is pretty much like this:

Monday: easy road ride: 1 - 1.5 hrs
Tuesday: harder road ride (hills and higher spd): 1 - 1.5 hrs
Wednesday: Easy off road - single track: 2 hrs
Thursday: Unicycle (focussed strength/balance training) - 1 hr
Friday: Day off
Saturday: Day off or easy road ride.
Sunday: Hard off road ride: at least 2 hours.

That's it at the moment, training towards the 2 Enduro races at the end of this month. Input is welcome if anyone thinks I could benefit from other types of training.

luckyphil

Likes Dirt
holy sh*t! your totally killin me. i dont ride any near as much as that. but if the track is fairly straightforward i dont mind being left behind. i just dont wanna be the slow guy that everybody despises.
soz guys, bu i cant come this saturday, i'm being dragged up to queensland (bummer i know). but i'm all for afternoon training during the week. where do all you people live?

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I live in Geelong, northern suburbs to be closer. :p

I dont ride all that much either, but when I do ride i try make it a good session, e/g the 55km to/from & at the YouYangs on Friday, or the 40 to 50km (long route) we do out at Anikie.

LN we have to go out there one day (Anikie), there is some real grunter climbs you'll love, it's all fireroad though, but defenatly worth the trip...3km straight up, and 68kph top speed down on rocky as all hell fireroad (watch out for the roos'). :p

John U

MTB Precision
i am in richmond and wouldn't mind a longer ride(50k's). where is anakie? anyway, anywhere around the city is suitable for me. i just want to get out there. CulBaire, are you up for it this saturday?

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anikie is out between Geelong and Ballerat, it's a fair way out bush in both cases, and no real way of getting there unless you have a car (which I dont). Or very keen on riding a ton more km's on the road :p I cant tell you exact directions, beacuse It's all in my head; I know where to go basicly, but dont really know the names of places.

The area itself shits on the edge of the brisbane ranges, and goes around Anikie Gorge, it's all fireroad, some of which used to be highways, and presumably major roads (in the 1800's :p ), there is one particutlar climb that seems endless it's good fun :roll: .

Im not sure what I'm upto this weekend, I haven't been feeling well all week. So I wont know until the weekend gets closer. Ddefinatly up for a ride somewhere though, if it's not too wet or windy.

-Cul

John U

MTB Precision
Nikon, how about you? Your fitness regime sounds a bit mental. mine involves riding to work and back and getting out on the weekends when i can. what is your preferred location for a ride? can you make it this saturday? like i said, i am central, and have wheels (only got room for 1 bike though) so pretty much anywhere is good for me.

LordNikon

Uber Geek
Not sure what I'm up to this weekend now, my negotiations to secure transportation have so far been unsuccessful.

But I'll be riding somewhere for sure, thinking about doing one of the rides in the ORCA book that has rail access.

Heading to the You Yangs tonight though if anyone's up for it. From about 6:30 onwards in the plantation.

luckyphil

Likes Dirt
is anyone up for a ride tomorrow?
i dont know who,where,how, or when, and i dont care! but holdidays are megga boring!

John U

MTB Precision
working tomorrow but up for it where ever it is on saturday. catching the train would probably make life easier too. the 1971 crown can be unreliable sometimes

John U

MTB Precision
i am going to do the yan yean drop off ride tomorrow . i plan to be at the start point at about 10.30 (depends on how many beers i have tonight as to how accurate that will be). if anyone is up for it i will see you there.

John U

MTB Precision
didn't get there until 1.00pm on sunday but i managed to do the yan yean drop off ride. very relaxing and not a hard climb at all. saw 2 echidnas eating ants on the side of the road while riding up. the serenity was amazing. there was one butt clenching part to the ride, a 200-300 metre descent at the 15k point. steep, eroded, loose gravel, fire track, with a few rocks thrown in. could be a good training ride for fitness if you want to do loops.

LordNikon

Uber Geek
sounds good... I'll have to check it out soon.

Personally I ended up doing about 150 k's on road over the 2 days.

Will most likely be heading to the You Yangs again on Wednesday night if anyone's keen.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I will try and be there, Especaily if the weather is the same as today, Looks like I will be riding to and from though, But I suppose the Extra 30km will do me some good :wink: