Any Zwifters out there?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
next thing a warning pops up, too strong for the group and they were 'limiting my power', a green triangle with an arrow pointing up pops up beside my name and all my stats disappeared.
Pah. Sandbagger! U gOt wOt U deSerVed.

(Still not on the trainer-train yet myself. But might pick one up if this lockdown keeps up. Just need the garage space first. Might be good to ride with more than 1 person, even if virtual).

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
My issue now is with the trainer dropping connection. I am using Bluetooth........
Honestly Zwift itself is buggy AF software, have had the trainer drop out a couple of times and the other night it went all 8-bit and laggy on me so it was impossible to follow wheels because people would come past and then the screen would jump forward and all of a sudden they were 20m past :rolleyes:

RE: big climbs like Ventop and Alpe du Zwift, if you want to do them on lower levels, you need to find an event/race that covers the route, as the event gives you the access regardless of your level.

I'm Andrew Leitch on Zwift, just like in real life.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
My issue now is with the trainer dropping connection. I am using Bluetooth........
I ended up buying a 5m USB extension lead and a USB Bluetooth/Ant+ antenna. I had to get the antenna near(ish) the trainer or it'd drop out mid-ride. And I don't mean figures/resistance going a bit squirrely, I mean totally drop-out. Virtual Zwift me pulls to a stop and all resistance dropped out of the trainer. Was really annoying when you were 2/3rds of the way up the Alpe du'Zwift. Really wish I could've just connected the trainer via USB directly though.

Like @leitch says, Zwift is still a buggy program regardless though.

I feel like I should set mine up again, but am currently maintaining some vague hope we might get let out next week instead...

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Honestly Zwift itself is buggy AF software, have had the trainer drop out a couple of times and the other night it went all 8-bit and laggy on me so it was impossible to follow wheels because people would come past and then the screen would jump forward and all of a sudden they were 20m past :rolleyes:

RE: big climbs like Ventop and Alpe du Zwift, if you want to do them on lower levels, you need to find an event/race that covers the route, as the event gives you the access regardless of your level.

I'm Andrew Leitch on Zwift, just like in real life.
I do want to do Ventop and Alpe du zwift, but I also have to accept that I am old, weak, and usually tired. I think there are some Innsbruck rides in the schedule today, otherwise Innsbruck is one of the worlds on Sunday. Shuffling up that a few times, and completing more training sessions, if my connection doesn't drop out, will get me in shape for them.........

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I do want to do Ventop and Alpe du zwift, but I also have to accept that I am old, weak, and usually tired. I think there are some Innsbruck rides in the schedule today, otherwise Innsbruck is one of the worlds on Sunday. Shuffling up that a few times, and completing more training sessions, if my connection doesn't drop out, will get me in shape for them.........
The good thing about "climbing mountains" on Zwift is that you're still in your house, and if you just keep tapping away your silly little digital avatar will continue its way up the mountain. Obviously this is much the same as real life but on Zwift you don't get as much of the "omg are you fucking kidding me pls just let me die right here" effect when you round a hairpin and see the road ramp up in front of you before disappearing into the distance. On the flip side, you don't get the beautiful scenery for distraction.

Anyway, just find a AdZ event and give it a bash. The 21 hairpins gives you a good sense of progress, whereas Ventop is more long drags that feel like they'll never end.

rockmoose

I'm watching the world go by on a tablet. Add in the fact that my eyes are fucked, which gets much worse with exertion, so I have to wear my reading glasses to see anything, compounded with the sweat dripping into them, and the steam fogging them up.............

Much like in real life, I only get a vague representation of what is going on in front of me. Lucky I have a fantastic imagination.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Be sure to let us know how you go with the climbs... Insert evil laugh

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
My old man uses Fullgaz which is pretty cool for this, using HD video from actual riders on the roads you're riding to give you the "full experience".

I had a go on his, it's cool, but I need the gamification of Zwift to make me get on the trainer.
The gamification makes all the difference to me in getting on it or not. I tried rouvy for a bit, was nice enough to begin with in that it sticks an avatar in a real world video, but riding by yourself gets old pretty quick. The big drawcard zwift has is that you've got thousands of people to ride with every day, and usually a few that are on par with yourself for a bit of healthy competition. the racing is hit and miss with sandbagging, but if you ignore the D graders leading your B grade race its still a solid workout .

The good thing about "climbing mountains" on Zwift is that you're still in your house, and if you just keep tapping away your silly little digital avatar will continue its way up the mountain. Obviously this is much the same as real life but on Zwift you don't get as much of the "omg are you fucking kidding me pls just let me die right here" effect when you round a hairpin and see the road ramp up in front of you before disappearing into the distance. On the flip side, you don't get the beautiful scenery for distraction.

Anyway, just find a AdZ event and give it a bash. The 21 hairpins gives you a good sense of progress, whereas Ventop is more long drags that feel like they'll never end.
i think the hills in zwift are somehow worse? they lack the sense of relief at the top, and drag out much worse than anything i experience on a MTB. I definitely appreciate the alpe being segmented like that though, breaks it up into entirely acheivable chunks and keeps you moving. i did a couple of races on ventop and dont rate it, your heart just sinks every time you look at the elevation map :p

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Most impressive effort tonight @Plankosaurus
Thanks. I've been unable to exercise all week and all that talk of Hills got me inspired to see if I still hate it - I do btw

Hitting the bottom of the Alpe with over an hour and 2 decent climbs already under your belt is a new one for me, I was cooked by the 3rd or 4th segment so the rest was sheer stubbornness.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Most impressive effort
How you going with the dropouts ?

There are a few interesting threads online regarding the dropouts. Seems its nearly all about Zwift, with users going to another platform and the problem disappearing.
How many Bluetooth items are you running ? Also mentions using ant+ to make it more stable.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski

There are a few interesting threads online regarding the dropouts. Seems its nearly all about Zwift, with users going to another platform and the problem disappearing.
How many Bluetooth items are you running ? Also mentions using ant+ to make it more stable.
Pretty much havnt bothered with Bluetooth, connection seemed flakey the few times I tried it and I didn't buy my ant reciever for nothing. I keep the ant receiver close to the trainer and very rarely have an issue.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

rockmoose

I had another dropout tonight, but think I have it nutted out.

Mine is all Bluetooth, but if I link in my cadence as well as my HR, it overloads the system.

Pretty sure if I run no cadence, I am good to go. If I want cadence too, I will have to run the trainer off ant+, so as to share the load.

Now just waiting to see if the rest of my ride will upload..........

That Watopia lump was plenty hard enough for me, even with the 10 or so short rests because I kept dropping my chain

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I had another dropout tonight, but think I have it nutted out.

Mine is all Bluetooth, but if I link in my cadence as well as my HR, it overloads the system.

Pretty sure if I run no cadence, I am good to go. If I want cadence too, I will have to run the trainer off ant+, so as to share the load.

Now just waiting to see if the rest of my ride will upload..........

That Watopia lump was plenty hard enough for me, even with the 10 or so short rests because I kept dropping my chain
That was what I read into it but it only seems to be with Zwift, apparently it works fine on all other platforms. Its other trainers too, not just Cycleops/Saris.

Do you have a Ant+ dongle ?

I have a few here, before they realised they could rip people and sell them separate, they used to give them away free with a $70 vivofits, reckon we had a good 6 or more for the smash brothers... they did lose some too.

Just now in my desk drawer as I typed this.

rockmoose

That was what I read into it but it only seems to be with Zwift, apparently it works fine on all other platforms. Its other trainers too, not just Cycleops/Saris.

Do you have a Ant+ dongle ?

I have a few here, before they realised they could rip people and sell them separate, they used to give them away free with a $70 vivofits, reckon we had a good 6 or more for the smash brothers... they did lose some too.

Just now in my desk drawer as I typed this.

View attachment 378854
No I don't. I didn't even know they were a thing until this thread came into my life.