An Interesting Question

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
I have always been curious about the way in which people on this forum might answer a very interesting question, one that I came across whilst reading a book I was given as a gift.

If you're not really interested in taking this seriously, then find somewhere else to go, because here isn't the place.

It might be a question you have come across in different forms in the past, and it isn't exactly unusual, but I am really interested to see what answer people give to it. So here goes...:)

In July 2005, a Special Forces team set out on a secret reconnaissance mission in Afghanistan, near the Pakistan border, in search of a Taliban leader. According to reports, their target commanded 140-150 heavily armed fighters and was staying in a village in the forbidding mountains region.

Shortly after the special forces team took up a position on a mountain ridge overlooking the village , two afghan farmers with about 100 bleating goats happened upon them. With them was a boy about 14 years old. The Afghans were unarmed. The American soldiers trained their rifles on them, motioned for them to sit on the ground, and then debated what to do about them. On the one hand, the herders were unarmed civilians. On the other hand, letting them go would run the risk that they inform the Taliban of the presence of US Soldiers.

They had no rope, so they couldn't tie them up, the only choice was to kill them or let them go free.

One argued: "We're on active duty behind enemy lines. We have a right to do everything we can to save our lives"
Another, Luttrell, said in retrospect: "In my soul I knew he was right. We could not possibly turn them loose. But I also thought it would be wrong to execute these unarmed men in cold blood"

In the end the second soldier cast the deciding vote against killing them, and let them go.

An hour and a half later, the four soldiers found themselves surrounded by eighty to a hundred Taliban fighters, and a firefight ensued. All soldiers except for Luttrell were killed, and Luttrell escaped severely wounded. Afterwards, he said that the decision to let the herders free was the stupidest decision he had ever made in his entire life.

From this there are a few questions that need to be answered:

1. If you were in their position, without knowing what the farmers would do, would you let them go, or would you kill them?
2. If you knew that they were innocent farmers, but would be tortured by the Taliban to reveal your location, would you let them go, or would you kill them?
3. Do you think it's acceptable to use the utilitarian approach, and suggest that killing three goat herders to save the lives of the group of four or so soldiers is morally acceptable?*

Try to think of this question as a hypothetical, in that there are only TWO solutions, to kill or not to kill. (i.e. there are no other ways out of it) Also, try to think of what YOU would do, if you were one of the soldiers. This might mean assuming that you have taken all the training and have changed your mindset, or that you still have the same mindset as you would right now.

*Story taken from Michael J Sandel's book Justice

Last edited:

Joy

Likes Dirt
This is pretty heavy stuff. Considering the trend on this forum is to always take the moral high ground and then throw stones at anyone who thinks otherwise, I can almost predict how this thread will turn out.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
This is pretty heavy stuff. Considering the trend on this forum is to always take the moral high ground and then throw stones at anyone who thinks otherwise, I can almost predict how this thread will turn out.
I'm not so sure, I almost think it's a bit of the opposite!

I forgot to start the ball rolling, so here's my take:

1. I would probably find it too difficult to kill the kid, so I would let them all go
2. In this case, I would probably kill them, but only because it would save the lives of people I personally knew.
3. No, because this approach does not take into consideration any of the moral values we as a society have grown and developed on. In general I think 'the greater good' principle is flawed.

Last edited:

Arete

Likes Dirt
hmmm.

IMO. On one hand you've got highly trained soldiers who voluntarily have placed themselves is a highly dangerous position that they very well knew might make them dead. One the other you have unarmed civilians who haven't signed up for anything and just happened to be in the wrong place a the wrong time.
Add to that that the soldiers do not have a right to slay unarmed civilians to protect themselves from a potential threat and doing so constitutes a war crime.

Resultingly, I don't think that killing the men should even be an option for the soldiers. however, I do think that with a bit of "on your feet" lateral thinking, you should be able to come up with a solution - even if that solution is to release them men, abort the mission and retreat.

BT180

Max Pfaff
The soldiers were only on a reconnaissance mission, so I would've kept one soldier with the farmers to guard them + called for backup to possibly come and pick them up, then the other soldiers could go on and complete their reconnaissance mission.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
This is why they say there are no winners in war, there's just a bigger loser.

Basically, to be in that situation, with the training that the Special Forces team would have had and the mission-centric mindset they have to take on, I find it impossible to believe that they would not have dealt with the problem in the most expedient way - i.e. killed them swiftly and silently.

It's easy to say they shouldn't - to us it's barbaric. But when you consider that to be there at that time and place they have undertaken training and indoctrination to make them killers. These aren't security guards at the local nightclub - that's what they're there to do. Unless you've had the the same training and indoctrination, and been in the same situation as they have, I don't honestly think they could be condemned for doing it. The world sucks sometimes.

... Thanks for the happy question Olly :rolleyes:

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
The soldiers were only on a reconnaissance mission, so I would've kept one soldier with the farmers to guard them + called for backup to possibly come and pick them up, then the other soldiers could go on and complete their reconnaissance mission.
In a real world scenario, this option might have been open to them, but if possible, try to think of the question as a hypothetical, in that there are only two options, to kill or not to kill. I know it's very black and white this way, but the reason behind the question is to establish where you place morals and values when making a decision like this.:)

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
hmmm.

IMO. On one hand you've got highly trained soldiers who voluntarily have placed themselves is a highly dangerous position that they very well knew might make them dead. One the other you have unarmed civilians who haven't signed up for anything and just happened to be in the wrong place a the wrong time.
Add to that that the soldiers do not have a right to slay unarmed civilians to protect themselves from a potential threat and doing so constitutes a war crime.

Resultingly, I don't think that killing the men should even be an option for the soldiers. however, I do think that with a bit of "on your feet" lateral thinking, you should be able to come up with a solution - even if that solution is to release them men, abort the mission and retreat.
If you were on the ground faced with that scenario, that sounds like a damn good way of answering it and making the call.

BT180

Max Pfaff
In a real world scenario, this option might have been open to them, but if possible, try to think of the question as a hypothetical, in that there are only two options, to kill or not to kill. I know it's very black and white this way, but the reason behind the question is to establish where you place morals and values when making a decision like this.:)
I probably would've let them go also, but that's my humane side coming out. That's why I was trying to think outside the box.

I wouldn't make a good soldier!

Hard and fast

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys

Just my opinion, when I soldier is walking through down down Afganistan, does he know which civilian is innocent or who is a terroist, there all wearing the same clothes they a look the smae???

Personally when you have soldiers doing there country the biggest deed of all and they have to come back in body bags it just stupid.

My opinion would be to kill the people- your life or theirs...

John U

MTB Precision
To not kill

Very heavy stuff and some good answers.

Surely they could have come up with some way of tying them up, cutting up some clothes or something.

Never been in a situation like this and hopefully never have to be though, so basically, I have no idea.

They could have tied them up with zip ties if they'd had them. Oh zip ties, is there nothing they can't do?

scblack

Leucocholic
This is why they say there are no winners in war, there's just a bigger loser.

Basically, to be in that situation, with the training that the Special Forces team would have had and the mission-centric mindset they have to take on, I find it impossible to believe that they would not have dealt with the problem in the most expedient way - i.e. killed them swiftly and silently.

It's easy to say they shouldn't - to us it's barbaric. But when you consider that to be there at that time and place they have undertaken training and indoctrination to make them killers. These aren't security guards at the local nightclub - that's what they're there to do. Unless you've had the the same training and indoctrination, and been in the same situation as they have, I don't honestly think they could be condemned for doing it. The world sucks sometimes.

... Thanks for the happy question Olly :rolleyes:
But special forces soldiers are not just your typical grunt soldier. They have a lot more training and capabilities than standard soldiers. They are able to do more than have their mind only on the mission so single mindedly.

Answers for me:
1. Let them go.
2. Kill them. Its likely they would be killed anyway.
3. Not acceptable. Thats murder.

SteveC22

Likes Dirt
Here are my answers.

1/ Kill them
2/ Kill them
3/ Kill them

Would prefer to come home alive and see the missus and ride my bike again... Kill anything that moves..

Axumis

Squid
To be completely honest this seems like a lie... what kind of unprepared special forces unit goes into battle without ANY flex cuffs or any sets of restraints. As far as my understanding is after spending too much time trawling youtube for everything military, it is common practise for EVERYONE to be flex cuffed / apprehended who isnt shooting at you; ie treat all targets, terrorist or hostage as hostile until you can get them into a safe place and process them.

Like John U said... cut up some camo, use some of your webbing or anything, more than one way to restrain someone.

if you have the time I recommend watching this video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9sOgjpmd4c&feature=player_embedded

It covers a lot of the same types of issues, including an american Special Forces convoy who was travelling with the Afghan National Army (supposed to be on our side) when the ANA pull a fast one and the result leaves many US casualties thanks to the taliban.

Last edited:

bear the bear

Is a real bear
1. Kill them. But this is because I have read Bravo Two Zero. I have no moral quams (Sp?) in doing this.
2. In this case, let them go, call for extraction if its an option or start legging it.
3. See the first answer. Is my life/ mates lifes worth more then theirs?...only in my opinion and those that love me.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
1. If you were in their position, without knowing what the farmers would do, would you let them go, or would you kill them?

You don't really know what anyone is going to do. In most cases I think you make a quick judgment of character, assume good intentions, but be ready for consequences. I'd let them go.

2. If you knew that they were innocent farmers, but would be tortured by the Taliban to reveal your location, would you let them go, or would you kill them?

Two wrongs don't make a right. I don't think I have a moral obligation here at all. The torturing is the Taliban's bad doing, not mine. I would not be able to kill innocent people. Also the fact that they must be conscious of the inherit risk of knowing the Taliban location (high risk war area) and staying in close proximity to it regardless. It is forseeable that a scenario such as this would be "likely", or at least, certainly possible. That's their choice to take such risk and therefore, they suffer the consequences. Let them go.

3. Do you think it's acceptable to use the utilitarian approach, and suggest that killing three goat herders to save the lives of the group of four or so soldiers is morally acceptable?*

What right would I have as a human to make decisions like this? None whatsoever. Considering that I would have enlisted in the Special Forces knowing that I am essentially an asset to the government and that there is a distinct and real possibility of TPD/death during battle/missions. Did the farmers sign up for this? No. So I don't think it's morally acceptable.

Props to the OP - This is one of the better threads on RB.

Last edited:

Oliver.

Liquid Productions

Two wrongs don't make a right. I don't think I have a moral obligation here at all. The torturing is the Taliban's bad doing, not mine. I would not be able to kill innocent people. Also the fact that they must be conscious of the inherit risk of knowing the Taliban location (high risk war area) and staying in close proximity to it regardless. It is forseeable that a scenario such as this would be "likely", or at least, certainly possible. That's their choice to take such risk and therefore, they suffer the consequences. Let them go.

What right would I have as a human to make decisions like this? None whatsoever. Considering that I would have enlisted in the Special Forces knowing that I am essentially an asset to the government and that there is a distinct and real possibility of TPD/death during battle/missions. Did the farmers sign up for this? No. So I don't think it's morally acceptable.
Such a good answer...that's something I would have never even thought about.

Arete

Likes Dirt
eveyone said:
Kill them
Just keep in mind that

a) Allied forces in Afghanistan are under direct orders (AFAIK - obviously I'm not a special forces soldier, but I do read decent media sources) NOT to fire on civilians unless fired upon.

b) Killing unarmed civilians is a prosecutable war crime under the Geneva Convention.

So, if you do kill unarmed civilians, you are in direct violation of orders and war criminal. If it does get you home, you could be court marshalled, trialled under the UN war crimes act or worse still under local Afghan law.

As I stated before and others have stated, there's plenty of lateral options that don't invlove murdering civilians - use a shirt to tie them up, leave a member of the party with them, abort and retreat, call for assistance.

Killing unarmed, non combatants shouldn't even need to be an option.

scblack

Leucocholic
Just keep in mind that

a) Allied forces in Afghanistan are under direct orders (AFAIK - obviously I'm not a special forces soldier, but I do read decent media sources) NOT to fire on civilians unless fired upon.
To my limited understanding, that applies to ALL Australian soldiers. I recall it was raised as a standing policy in the aftermath of some firefights in East Timor a couple of years ago.

dinosaur_mtb

Likes Dirt
Killing unarmed civilians would never be an option IMHO. Obviously their position was now compromised - better high tail and run or be pulled out... What sort of army command sends people into these situations without an escape plan?