All Mountain Tyres

Flow-Rider

Burner
I am probably a bit prejudice due to my riding style and my local trail conditions but I like the 2.35 Maxxis Igniters as an all rounder. They sort of do everything at a Medium level like in the wet, dust, rocks and the weight isn't too bad. They are not the fastest rolling tyre but not the slowest either. I have tried some of the exotic tyres and yes they excel in a certain area like no other tyre but for everyday use they seem to have one major downfall in one way or another. I have just tried a Racing Ralph and a High Roller 2 and by the 4th ride they are starting to split in the side knobs of both tyres.

freeriding

Likes Dirt
from the tread, the ikon won't be any good in lil muddy conditions. Very dense and low height knobs. (they will clog in mud)

maybe rocket ron will be a better all rounder, but then again, it will have a short life span.

:mmph:

what about ardent race?

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
Has anyone tried a 29" DHR2 on the front? I am looking for recommendations tubeless 29" tyre around the 800g mark for Trail riding.

moman

Likes Dirt
Has anyone tried a 29" DHR2 on the front? I am looking for recommendations tubeless 29" tyre around the 800g mark for Trail riding.
Me! It's become my front tyre of choice. Ridden it in all sorts of conditions and its delivered. Just change the rear tyre based on conditions.

Faster rolling I might go an ardent 2.4 and more grip I might go a Dhf but for an all around tyre at a good weight I'm sold.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Me! It's become my front tyre of choice. Ridden it in all sorts of conditions and its delivered. Just change the rear tyre based on conditions.

Faster rolling I might go an ardent 2.4 and more grip I might go a Dhf but for an all around tyre at a good weight I'm sold.
Cheers moman!

Does the 2.4 ardent have a vague area when you lean over before the side knobs bite?

ktastrphe

Likes Dirt
I'm another as well. I run them on both my duallies and sometimes on my hard tail, have found them a good all round front tyre. Tried dhf and it was too heavy and slow, hr2 didn't quite have the grip on the corners for my riding style

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
spesh butcher control is 810g. i'm really liking mine so far.
+1. You cant corner them as hard as a DHF cos the sidewalls are a tad flimsier and the side knobs aren't as robust but for general trail mincing the grip is there.

FrankSt

Squid
Took the new DHF 650B 2.5 WT out for 2 rides, grip for days. Noticeable difference coming from 2.3 DHRII on loose over hard pack.

teK--

Eats Squid
how are you finding that combination? I used to like my rear to be really fast rolling and loose... but beginning to change my mind.

I'm running the same combo. What rims are you running?
I love it. I prefer grip than fast rolling as I tend to ride steep loose terrain more than epic XC marathons. LB Carbon rims 30mm internal width.

Would that DHF 2.5 WT work ok with a Flow Ex rim? (25.5mm inside, 29.1 outer, I think.)
It would work but would be overkill and unnecessary weight. Imagine the tread would be very rounded and you would have to lean a lot to get the corner knobs to engage. Better off running the 2.3.

alex1019

Cannon Fodder
Tyre Recommendation

Hi All,

I was just wondering, if you could help a out newbie.

I have just bought a Trek X Caliber 7 29er, my first ever mountain bike. Being totally new to the sport, I was wondering which tyres you guys could recommend? Apparently, my rims are 19mm (could be wrong); I am after something grippy rather then for speed.

I currently ride at Red Hill & Plenty Gorge, and hoping to eventually go to the You Yangs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I might end up having to get a Butcher, cause I can't find any stores with a 29x2.3 DHR2 EXO TR 3C
Good call, they grip pretty darn well. I'm running Butcher Control front on my 26er. I expect the 29er version to be the same.
they are basically a single ply minion DHF clone.
Pushys should be re-stocking DHR2 in 3C EXO TR 29er when they get back to work, I would say. might have to ring around a bit...

It would work but would be overkill and unnecessary weight. Imagine the tread would be very rounded and you would have to lean a lot to get the corner knobs to engage. Better off running the 2.3.
Yeah, thought that might be the case. cheers :yo:

Last edited:

crim 87

Likes Dirt
how are you finding that combination? I used to like my rear to be really fast rolling and loose... but beginning to change my mind.

I'm running the same combo. What rims are you running?
nextie carbon 30mm external am version dt swiss 350 hubs and cx ray spokes with brass nipples loving the combo !!!!!