All Mountain Tyres

F-Bomb

Likes Bikes
Big burp

I am tubeless and have had issues lately with my rear tyre burping. Specifically, I have had occurrences of the tyre popping loudly and coming off the rim on gap jumps I am practicing. Granted the landing was a bit short and far from smooth...

My setup is the following:
  • Easton Haven wheels (UST, 21 mm internal rim width, 26 mm external)
  • Maxxis Ardent Exo 2.25 folding rear (no idea of pressure)
  • Maxxis Highroller II Exo 2.40 folding front (no idea of pressure)
  • Stan's sealant
I am wondering if I am running the tyre at a pressure too high (or too low). Or maybe I need rims that provide a wider support? Or maybe beefier tyres with wire bead or double ply or UST-certified. Any recommendation?

Cheers!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I am tubeless and have had issues lately with my rear tyre burping. Specifically, I have had occurrences of the tyre popping loudly and coming off the rim on gap jumps I am practicing. Granted the landing was a bit short and far from smooth...

My setup is the following:
  • Easton Haven wheels (UST, 21 mm internal rim width, 26 mm external)
  • Maxxis Ardent Exo 2.25 folding rear (no idea of pressure)
  • Maxxis Highroller II Exo 2.40 folding front (no idea of pressure)
  • Stan's sealant
I am wondering if I am running the tyre at a pressure too high (or too low). Or maybe I need rims that provide a wider support? Or maybe beefier tyres with wire bead or double ply or UST-certified. Any recommendation?

Cheers!
Start by checking your tyre pressure.....
Then report back.

Tap tap taparoo

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Happens to me when the tyre is a loose fit on the rim. When that's the case it's just a bad Mach from tyre to rim and you need tighter tyres

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
You don't need tyres. You don't ride... That's my opinion
Yeah, but I want the latest and best tyres on the bike when I look at it/post pics of it on the net.

Thanks Juddster, I might give them Mein Kamphs a go I reckon.

ChopSticks

Banned
Stick with Schwalbe jase.

Hans dampf trail star front.
Nobby Nic pace star rear!

Best combo ever....
how do you compare that combo but with a racing ralph in the rear?

i love my current combo of
Hans dampf trail star front. 2.35
Racing Ralph pace star rear! 2.1

but the sidewalls of the RR are simply too thin for tubeless

jrewing

Eats Squid
Yeah, but I want the latest and best tyres on the bike when I look at it/post pics of it on the net.

them Mein Kamphs a go I reckon.
I hear them Mein Kamphs are a gas!

Ahuh...that'd be the truth about the state of MTB'ing at the Mo bro. :tape:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Has anyone tried the DMR moto digger 2.35's...they look alright, slightly harder compound than schwalbe, and a little softer than maxxis!

Bluemutt

Likes Bikes
I've had problems with Ardent 2.25's peeling off my DT 540's when landing a hip jump in the back yard,
was running them with tubes of which they have claimed 3 so far.
Now running Conti Mtn King II and have had no problems.
Loose fit maybe.

ChopSticks

Banned
just installed a new 2.25 RR with snakeskin and TL ready.....

"TL Ready" is a fucking lie !!! so was the 2.1 RR and 2.35 HD ...no fucking way would you install it with a floor pump (not on ZTR FLOWS anyway)

...initial impressions......FAT !!! wayyyy fatter than a 2.1 looks almost like the 2.35 HD

grips like a mofo on the driveway :p

but the real test is on the trails ! !!!

F-Bomb

Likes Bikes
Start by checking your tyre pressure.....
Then report back.
0 psi at the moment foxpuppet... I need to re-mount my back tyre and add sealant.
I'll try to get a pressure gage, or a pump that includes one and will start with a pressure of 35 psi front and 40 back.

Happens to me when the tyre is a loose fit on the rim. When that's the case it's just a bad Mach from tyre to rim and you need tighter tyres
I had Ardent 2.2 (regular) prior to my current Ardent 2.2 EXO and the EXO helped. Or maybe it can be explained by a difference in pressure, I do not know. What tyres worked or did not work for you Pharmaboy?

I've had problems with Ardent 2.25's peeling off my DT 540's when landing a hip jump in the back yard,
was running them with tubes of which they have claimed 3 so far.
Now running Conti Mtn King II and have had no problems.
Loose fit maybe.
That's interesting... So the issue is maybe not the tubeless setup, but pressure or bad tyre fit.

F-Bomb

Likes Bikes
"TL Ready" is a fucking lie !!! so was the 2.1 RR and 2.35 HD ...no fucking way would you install it with a floor pump (not on ZTR FLOWS anyway)!
I believe that tubeless-ready generally means that the tyres will not leak air (i.e. that you don't need sealant).
The UST tubeless standard, on the other, is supposed to make inflation with a hand pump possible. You'd need both a UST-certified rim and tyre, of course.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I have found wtb wolverine to be loose on a crest , and crests are bigger than st Swiss (giant rims). The 2012 29 nobby nic. Were stupid tight, more recent ones have been better . Mavic ust rims also seem large and create a tight fit.

I think when you find a brand that's hard to get on but not impossible then stick with that brand

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I believe that tubeless-ready generally means that the tyres will not leak air (i.e. that you don't need sealant).
The UST tubeless standard, on the other, is supposed to make inflation with a hand pump possible. You'd need both a UST-certified rim and tyre, of course.
Nah , tl ready on the schwalbes refers to the bead on the tyre- they leak like a sieve until sealant fills all the gaps . UST refers to 3 things size (ie tight) , airtight sidewalls ( hence the weight) , and the bead hook to match the ust bead hook rims ( less burping)

But as a result once you have got the MOFO s on, they inflate easily

burkie

Likes Bikes
Just chucked a WTB Bronson 2.3 on the front of my torrent yesterday. Only been for one ride on it so far but first impressions are good. Grips better than the ardent it replaced and the nevegal before that. Feels a bit slower than the ardent, but i really was having trouble trying to get it to break traction. Came home thinking this may be my new favorite tyre. Time will tell.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Been running Bronson's as well, had them for about 6 months. Really good tyre on a wide range of different surfaces. Got a 2.3 front, 2.1 rear.

Local trails are a real mix, from hardpack, sand, rocks and soft dusty tracks.

They roll really well for a chunky tyre, the side nobs are interesting, when you lean right over on them they give a bit of a wiggle which is weird at first but once used to it and find it provides great feedback when leaning them right over.

Wear rate has been great, front tyre still has lots of tread and rear will be due for replacement soon. On previous tyres I have ridden I have usually worn out the sidewalls before the tread, the Bronsons are just the race version and sidewalls have held up very well.

Very happy with these as a all round tyre for my local trails. Will be getting another set to replace these.

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
Figured it was about time to replace the Spesh Purgatory 2.4 I've had on the front for the past 18 months or more! Have really enjoyed it so planned on replacing it with the same again. I was a little bummed to learn that Specialized have rationalized their tyre range and had replaced the old Purgatory 2.2 and 2.4 with a 2.3 running updated tread.

What they're calling the 2.3 looks more like a 2.2 compared to the old 2.4, but apart from that so far so good. More bla bla at
http://digitalhippie.net/mountain-b...biking/specialized-purgatory-control-23-tire/

specialized-purgatory-control-23-vs-24.jpg

pmitch

Likes Bikes
the sidewalls of the RR are simply too thin for tubeless
I have found this the case with RR's too. I tore the sidewall on both the front and the rear of my tubeless RR Evo's over Christmas. Great tyres though. Might have to try them in Snake Skin.