All Mountain Tyres

ChopSticks

Banned
I have found this the case with RR's too. I tore the sidewall on both the front and the rear of my tubeless RR Evo's over Christmas. Great tyres though. Might have to try them in Snake Skin.
Not a single issue with the Snakeskin 2.25 RR thus far!!

however it does feel wide.... Too wide and slow :(

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Figured it was about time to replace the Spesh Purgatory 2.4 I've had on the front for the past 18 months or more! Have really enjoyed it so planned on replacing it with the same again. I was a little bummed to learn that Specialized have rationalized their tyre range and had replaced the old Purgatory 2.2 and 2.4 with a 2.3 running updated tread.

What they're calling the 2.3 looks more like a 2.2 compared to the old 2.4, but apart from that so far so good. More bla bla at
http://digitalhippie.net/mountain-b...biking/specialized-purgatory-control-23-tire/

View attachment 258496
I almost bought a 2.4 purg on Monday, my local specialized dealer still has them. However i ended up getting a 2.3 ground control.

Tap tap taparoo sent with tapatalk 2

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
Have been very happy with my old 26" 2.2 ikon front and 2.2 ardent rear. .. fat rolling and grippy. .. was very happy with them but ripped the sidewalls to pieces on the rear ardent from roots etc...

I am running 2.35 hans damphs on the cannondale and are super grippy and huge.

I would consider trying a 2.35 ikon on the front and the son to be released 2.35 ardent rear as they are lighter than the shwalbes and a lower rolling resistance. Only concern would be that I would lose my insane pick any line I want including in and out of ruts of the shwalbes.

The shwalbes really do make the bike feel like a big tough rig

Big JD

Wheel size expert
slashed the side walls of another Schwable tubeless ready tyre - my fourth
sure they grip, light and not too slow - but whats the point and waste of money.
they can go eat a d*ck with Moorey

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have being running some Spesh tyres for a while now, thought I would share my thoughts...

Previously used tyres - used to be a Maxxis man: Highrollers, Minions, Ignitors, Bling Blings, Larsens on the back etc. Have recently ridden Schwables and a few different Specialized tyres.

Current setup - Specialized Butcher Control 2.3 on the front (26psi tubeless), Specialized Purgatory Control 2.3 rear (28psi tubeless) on a 150mm trail bike.

Trail conditions - A bit of everything. Regular loop is a mix of hard pack and pea gravel, essentially the most insanely slippery surface. Hardpack with rocks. Pine forrest loam. etc

Super stoked on the Butcher. Such a great tread pattern, running it in the DH casing on my DH bike too (went tubeless no worries). Perfect front tyre when you need something that is going to hook up in the corners, but still roll reasonably. Purgatory on the rear is decent, I wouldn't scream about it like I would the Butcher, but it gets the job done. Seems to brake and roll quite well. Matches with the Butcher front quite well, as it lets go first. When set up tubeless, the Control casing gives a very plush ride, really contours around rocks and roots well and dampens the trail a bit. The downside to this is that I have found it to be a bit squirmy in the sidewall when hitting high speed, hardpack berms though, and my rims tell me a little bit soft for high speed rock ploughing. Haven't had any problems ripping them though, which is good. Going to try a Purgatory in the Grid UST version on the back, hoping the heavier duty sidewall will give me the perfect combo. Wouldn't mind strapping a Butcher in the SX casing onto the back at some point for a try too...

ADD

Likes Dirt
Had anyone had any trouble with specialized tubeless tyres sealing up? I bought a ground control the other day and had a lot if trouble with the bead as it was out of shape in spots. So it last about 6 hrs before its flat again. Never had any trouble with schwalbe's. They slid right on and seal up first time everytime.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ.../review-continental-mountain-king-ii-11-44382

anyone tried Conti Mountain king 2s? Weight seems to be very competitive in the Protection tubeless ready model.
Trying to decide on something to replace my Ardent 2.25s.
New LUST Ardent 2.25 has come in at 620g, and was hoping for something around that region with a bit more solid side knobs than the ardent.
Been an awesome tyre otherwise, just shreds the side knobs pretty quickly.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ.../review-continental-mountain-king-ii-11-44382

anyone tried Conti Mountain king 2s? Weight seems to be very competitive in the Protection tubeless ready model.
Trying to decide on something to replace my Ardent 2.25s.
New LUST Ardent 2.25 has come in at 620g, and was hoping for something around that region with a bit more solid side knobs than the ardent.
Been an awesome tyre otherwise, just shreds the side knobs pretty quickly.
Just received a set of Mountain King 2s UST, will let you know how it goes!

bpow

Likes Dirt
I also would love to hear how they go. I have the X-king which I didnt like on the front too much (in loose wet stuff) but its great on the rear. I do like the black chilli compound. Was hoping to get some trail king/rubber queens one day but seem hard to find.

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
I run a conti 2.4 rubber queen up front and conti mountain king 2 2.4 on the rear, bike is a Spesh Stumpy. Best gripping combo I have tried but the mountain king 2 is one of the slowest rolling tyres I have used (even slower than a "nevergo" kenda nevagal) personally I don't give a rats about rolling resistance on an all mountain bike.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rubber Queen = Anchor

I used a UST RQ 2.4, and although it had excellent grip, it was very slow rolling.. I ran it on the front. It would rub on the front derailliuer when it was in granny....

mint355

Likes Dirt
2.35 Hans Dampfs for sure.

Trailstar front, Pacestar rear
Copy that combo work a treat every where I've been so far lysterfield, yarra trails, mt buller, falls creek, stromlo loving it!!! I'm travelling around Australia..

Last edited:

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
2.35 Hans Dampfs for sure.

Trailstar front, Pacestar rear
Currently on 2.25 nobbies, but i ordered a 2.35 hans dampf pacestar for the front. Should be here bt the end of the week and i'm looking forward to getting it on and seeing what it feels like.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heading over to ride Pass Portes Du Soleil soon in France/ Switzerland.

Anyone done the ride and recommend some good tires?

My bike is a 120/130mm Fuel Ex, running Enve XC wheels. I have never ridden done a lift/ shuttle etc run in my life, always ridden up and down. No big jumps etc for me (unless I grow so bigger balls while over there...).

Was wondering about Hans Damf 2.35 or similar.

I do have a Fat Albert 2.25 front that I was given in good condition, these any good?

cheers
Steve

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
I'm really liking the hans dampf so far. it has great grip in all conditions it has encountered so far, wet and dry. The only thing is it tends to trap stones and mud inbetween the knobs pretty well.