Alcohol and MTB

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Well you cant drink and drive, How else can you get around?
I like getting my 1960's Raligh out and hitting the bars around Melbourne.
I'm pretty sure that your licence is still in jeopardy when riding a bicycle over 0.05 BAC in Victoria. Be careful Russ....

toodles

Wheel size expert
I've actually raced drunk before, well heavily under the influence anyway. Not my most spectacular result to date, but also not my worst.

I've tried to tone down the drinking this year though, finding a light beer that is drinkable is a bit of a task but Boags Light is the best I've found so far. Certainly noticed better energy levels and mental capacity as a result of not getting smashed anymore. Bloody light beer does make you piss a helluva lot though.

RCOH

Eats Squid
Normally have a beer or two before the wednesday night fixed ride, then a few more after....then ride home.

I generally have AFD monday/tues/thurs, + wednesday if I don't do the ride above. Sunday is hit & miss, but I might meet friends for a beer somewhere, or take a couple if going out witht hte family to a park/picnic etc.

I won't drink to excess if I have a big ride the next day, but may have a couple. As someone else said, a couple of beers after a long ride is just ace.

Also just noticed the Vets section. Chuffed!

my02

Likes Dirt
Owl watching

Sat early morning I'm doing DH somewhere.

Tomorrow night I'm going to Hooters.

Somebody'd better come up with a pretty good case against tomorrow night!!!! :cool:

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How many AFD's (alcohol free days) would you have per week?
4/5

Whats your favourite beverage?
Red wine / 4 pines beer (local brewer in manly)

Do you notice a decrease in your performance if you've been drinking the day/night before?
yes, but i did get a few good results from it as well.

Do you think drinking with the boys after a hard ride affects your recovery the following day?
yes

Anything else alcohol related?
Don't drink way too much and ride

29er

Likes Bikes
I used to drink everyday until about 18 months ago when I went on a health kick. I mainly drank beer as I was homebrewing and had 6 kegs of beer on tap. I rarely drink now and dont drink after a ride because my riding buddies dont.

The only time that I have a beer at home is after I have mowed the lawn.

When I was drinking all the time I wouldve answered that alcohol wont affect performance. Now im not drinking it really affects my performance and is really noticeable.

FINX74

Likes Dirt
I think this is the general consensus(disclaimer - not my view). It would be very interesting to maybe poll or something similar.

Maybe the xc riders are more focussed on fitness and due to riding such long distances (100k's etc) are unable to drink as much. Maybe its just the "dh" image of us being lazy mad men who dont need to be fit so can drink whenever.
I predominately ride dh - luv beer after hard day dh but thats about it - except for beer after late surf in summer. But most of the fellow "vets" i ride dh dont drink at all.
I don't drink at all ever since I switched to DH from XC . I am now totally addicted to the rush of a DH run. Or working the trails for a more fun ride.
Adrian.

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
I dont mind a drink but I have never drank for the sake of drinking. I can only remember ever having a couple of beers in my life while on my own. I go months without having one and there is almost allways beer in the fridge here. But if im at a BBQ or a party or have mates at home I still dont have a problem keeping up.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
AFD's? I brought a 6 pack Christmas 2008 for Friday night drinks at work. I finished the last one Christmas 2009. Party animal huh?

I find it all just messes me up the next day, so even the 1 glass when going out/work functions etc is enough. About 1 or 2 times a year I'll get a bit messy but even then, the last one was lunch that finished at midnight, but i hardly had a buzz as I'd slowed down to about 1 drink an hour after about the first hour! How sad is that?

scblack

Leucocholic
AFD's? I brought a 6 pack Christmas 2008 for Friday night drinks at work. I finished the last one Christmas 2009. Party animal huh?

I find it all just messes me up the next day, so even the 1 glass when going out/work functions etc is enough. About 1 or 2 times a year I'll get a bit messy but even then, the last one was lunch that finished at midnight, but i hardly had a buzz as I'd slowed down to about 1 drink an hour after about the first hour! How sad is that?
Nothing at all sad about that!:cool:

I like a drink or few. Both sides of my family have been peppered with alcoholics. Having control over your drinking is a very admirable trait.

smeck

Likes Dirt
AFD's? ......................About 1 or 2 times a year I'll get a bit messy but even then, the last one was lunch that finished at midnight, but i hardly had a buzz as I'd slowed down to about 1 drink an hour after about the first hour! How sad is that?
What would be sad is if you were drinking because of some social requirement. You're meant to enjoy it, not fulfill a criteria of drinking quickly or heavily. I haven't had more than a beer or two for months, I just haven't felt like it. I'm not avoiding alcohol for a health kick, but I'm not drinking purely because after a hard day 'a real man drinks beer'. Enjoy it either way, some days alcohol is absolutely delicious, others less so.

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A bit of a generalisation I know, but here's a bit of a theory.

The downhillers among us like a beverage, or few.

The XC guys among are much less so inclined.

Do you guys agree?
No. I think you are off the mark. I think mtb'ers in general enjoy the social aspect of a drink. Most of my buddies would describe themselves as more xc riders than dh riders. (they would probably just say they were mtb'ers). bevvies are always high on the agenda. Those who abstain are probably roadies. :D:D

I _try_ to have 2, 3 or possibly 4 AFD's per week. (sometimes 1 is an achievement) I'm a beer lover and a wine lover. (still have over 800 bottles in my cellar despite the various raids my mates make).

I can say that after a few drinks the night before I have more flow and my tech riding is right in the groove as soon as I get on the bike but for straight out endurance I find the legs fatigue earlier and I will start to cramp after about 70k's of mtbing or 120k's of road riding after a big night.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
These days I rarely drink. It's mainly a time thing as my wife and I are both training for enduro stuff (me the doctor, her 1/2 marathons) so most nights one of us is training and the other is hanging out with the kids. Neither activity is conducive to having a bevvie.
I usually only drink now if I'm out of town for work with some of the boys.
Can't say I miss it that much.

giant808

Cannon Fodder
I got back into cycling to improve my health, with the pub being the goal at the end of the ride. But I just realised we haven't ridden to the pub for a couple of years & my fitness is still shyte.:confused:

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
What would be sad is if you were drinking because of some social requirement. You're meant to enjoy it, not fulfill a criteria of drinking quickly or heavily. I haven't had more than a beer or two for months, I just haven't felt like it. I'm not avoiding alcohol for a health kick, but I'm not drinking purely because after a hard day 'a real man drinks beer'. Enjoy it either way, some days alcohol is absolutely delicious, others less so.
What he said.
I really do most of my drinking when I'm on holidays especially if it involves a campfire, but try to avoid it if I've got a big ride on, and definitely only one or two max the day/night before a race.

cjaty

Likes Dirt
I went to my doctor a few months back for somthing and as usual he askes "do you drink ever night?" "how many would you have?".My answer"yes","two or three",his reply"well your in the average then.That made me fell a little better considering I thought I was borderline heavy drinker.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
I went to my doctor a few months back for somthing and as usual he askes "do you drink ever night?" "how many would you have?".My answer"yes","two or three",his reply"well your in the average then.That made me fell a little better considering I thought I was borderline heavy drinker.
Average does not = healthy... the average Aussie is an unhealthy specimen, the average aussie is overweight and unfit... if you think you are borderline heavy drinker then consider cutting down or chucking in a few alcohol free days.

My AFDs - lots, probably only drink about once every two or three months, no regular alcohol during the week as there's always something to do the next day. Saturdays are 6am road rides, Sunday mtb, running and riding during the week. Very occasionally a beer might make an appearance but in general it's only a events like weddings and even then I would probably still be legal to drive....

WHY? well... the hangovers have got progressively worse since I turned 21, and these days a big night can mean 24 hours of vomiting, dry retching, splitting headache and I'm absolutely useless for at least the day afterwards and probably don't recover fully for several days. It's pretty obvious that's my body's reaction to being poisoned. Can't imagine doing that to my body regularly, last time was well over two years ago and hopefully I will never feel like that again.

Does it affect my riding - if I've been drunk, I can barely make it to the toilet to vomit let alone get a bike. If I've just had a couple, I tend to feel a bit fuzzy, tired and sluggish - definitely feel the effects.

The social side, once you stop drinking you realise just how many social events revolve around drunkeness. That type of party isn't as fun when you're sober, but that's made me realise that I'd rather stay away from events that require alcohol - I'd rather be out doing something that I can enjoy sober. I'd rather not be drinking at a party simply to reach a state of drunkeness that means I can find the same stupid things funny as all the other drunken people. Social events like dinners, trivia nights, weddings etc etc are still fun when you're not drinking or drinking in moderation.

Luckily I have a partner, family, and group of friends where alcohol does not play a huge role. A lot of my friends have cut down on alcohol now the are over 30, some have realised that their earlier drinking was very scary and either borderline alcoholic or simply ended up with them in very dangerous situations. We aren't against drinking, but I think we've all just found a balance now where drinking is for the right reasons and one beer or one glass of wine seems normal whereas 10 years ago the whole carton or the whole cask was more likely.

Last edited:

Knopey

Likes Dirt
The trouble is, average = pisshead with a blown liver. I wouldn't take "average" as a compliment ;)

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The social side, once you stop drinking you realise just how many social events revolve around drunkeness. That type of party isn't as fun when you're sober, but that's made me realise that I'd rather stay away from events that require alcohol - I'd rather be out doing something that I can enjoy sober. I'd rather not be drinking at a party simply to reach a state of drunkeness that means I can find the same stupid things funny as all the other drunken people. Social events like dinners, trivia nights, weddings etc etc are still fun when you're not drinking or drinking in moderation.

QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. I used to be big drinker when i was younger and am now paying the price. I can no longer drink any alcohol, and it's not until you don't drink that you realize how ostracised you are made to feel at a social outing if you are not drinking.

I now don't bother, as I have grown tired of being treated like a leper for not drinking.