Advice sought for a new rider!

BlakZ

Likes Dirt
Getting there...

Thanks Brendonj - opened my eyes to something new! However I think I will stick with a typical chain guide.

My middle ring has 32t, and this is where I want the guide (and if I do decide on the dual ring DRS system, the small ring is 22). Having done some searches, I now need to consider how I attach it - ISCG or BB.

Can someone explain what ISCG is? And what am I looking for on my bike to determine which mounting mechanism I choose?

This is my essentially my bike if it gives any hints:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6104639/Gt-Avalancheexpert-Specs-Sheet
I can also take close-up photos if it would help.

Thankyou!

510s are on the shopping list now also!

BlakZ

Likes Dirt
A happy ending? - or happy beginning not really sure....

Been shoppin', came home with a POC carbon fullface (half the price of what was on the sticker!), utopia goggles with it. Chain guide to go on during the week, and 510 Karvers ordered!

Yarra Valley Cycles - have some free advertising! I highly recommend shopping with them. Alex spent heaps of time working out what would be best for me rather than what would be best ($) for them. Will be my LBS from here on.

Look forward to meeting some of you on Thursday in Healesville.

Cheers,
Dan

aokman

Squid
Been shoppin', came home with a POC carbon fullface (half the price of what was on the sticker!), utopia goggles with it. Chain guide to go on during the week, and 510 Karvers ordered!

Yarra Valley Cycles - have some free advertising! I highly recommend shopping with them. Alex spent heaps of time working out what would be best for me rather than what would be best ($) for them. Will be my LBS from here on.

Look forward to meeting some of you on Thursday in Healesville.

Cheers,
Dan
awesome mate :) yup Yarra Valley are fantastic, brought my giant glory from them 2 weeks ago. Will say hello on Thursday :)

Definately start with the hardtail track and see what you think of the track, would be intersting doing thursday night on a hardtail though :)

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
Stop being such a tight arse and buy yourself a proper DH bike!
Get over yourself! Go shutup in the corner dropkick.

He's starting off and is getting his gear. If he wastes money up front and does not continue DH it would be stupid. Good to see you in DH BlakZ. Start small and build up with what you have. My first bike used for light DH was very little different to yours - quite a few years ago now though!

Get Mounted

Likes Dirt
Get over yourself! Go shutup in the corner dropkick.

He's starting off and is getting his gear. If he wastes money up front and does not continue DH it would be stupid. Good to see you in DH BlakZ. Start small and build up with what you have. My first bike used for light DH was very little different to yours - quite a few years ago now though!
Poke it scblack, I know him and he took it as it was meant.....as a joke

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Poke it scblack, I know him and he took it as it was meant.....as a joke
A smiley eg... :) wouldnt have gone astray at the end of your tight arse comment then to to indicate your sarcasm.........Its so hard to tell emotion etc from a keyboard......

To the OP.......I ve seen people start DH on worse bikes, and once they get the bug, they usually do upgrade their bike. But dont fuss too much over equipment till you have been out on the trails.
I ride/race DH, and I often just take my XC, 4X or trail or STP for DH runs for weekend fun. I treat the DH run no different from any other XC trail, within the limitations of the bike (no 8ft drops on carbon XC machine) etc.
And I dont bother with Full face or other gear cause I aint going flat chat like when I race. Do a few slow runs till you sus what DH terrain actually is.
Then weigh it up. I you think you can go bigger, better, faster, then invest in some decent value gear and better bike.

Last edited: