Acoustic Guitar Songs

Adi

It's my birthday!
(Yeah, I have allready done a search, nothing like this was found)

Just wondering if you guys knew any songs that a beginner can play on an acoustic. I know a few like 'Smoke on the Water' and am slowly learning 'Cute Without the E' on the acoustic.

Help with more songs appreciated, 8)!

RCOH

Eats Squid
About a Girl - Nirvana (pretty much any Nirvana song actually)
Time of Your Life (seinfeld song) - Green Day
Stairway To Heaven - Led Zep (but you already know that, don't you :wink: )
American Pie - Don McClean

wombat

Lives in a hole
"The druge don't work", specifically Ben Harper's cover. It's very simple, only a few chords, but sounds really beautiful on the accoustic.

"Hey Joe" is another one to look at, although the solo and breaks are going to be more difficult.

RHCP "My Friends" sounds pretty sweet as an accoustic version, it's not the simplest song but it's not that really that hard either.

And one you should like: "This Time Imperfect". The only problem with playing that as a solo accoustic version is that you really need to incorporate the bass part as well to get it to sound right, but it's not bad without it.

That's a few that I can think of at the moment, I'll dig through my tabs when I get home and post up a better list for you.

PS: Classical Gas.

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
Progression

Twinkle, twinkle little star :D
House of the rising sun
Hotel california
Wish you were here

sich nich

Likes Dirt
beginner?
stairway to heaven?
some of it is doable, my bro is "semi-beginner" and he cant do it properly yet. stick with it ull get anything but.
once ur more advance try led zeps "baby im gonna leave u"
that is one awesome acoustic song

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Lots and lots of Metallica! Anything before and including "Black" album.
Nothing else matters and One is somewhere to start.
Also, classical is insanely fun, try and find 'Spanish Romance', its easy and sounds beautiful. I'll try and dig up the old folder and have a look for some of the other goodies, cant remember any of the names at the moment.
Go download Mason Williams's Classical gas, listen and go play.

road warrior

Likes Dirt
as wombat said The drugs don' work. Either in The Verve, or ben harpers cover style.

Tuesday's gone is an mad song for acoustic and is pretty simple.

About a girl -nirvana (first song i learnt)

also Krytonite by 3 doors down is hell simple.

all these songs are good if you want to sing along while you play them.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
get a carpo and do "wonderwall" by oasis

im a fan of "cwnetry" by silverchair as well.

incubus have some top acoustic songs. also everlong by foo fighters is sweet unplugged :)

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
if you to play guitar then these songs will not really make you progress much as they are all basic: you could learn to play them all in a couple of weeks no matter how good or bad you are...

but like chewy said, learn some classical as well as it teaches you how to play fluidly, rock tunes are just strumming, more or less.

i learnt with a flamenco guitarist for ages, i would come in sometimes and he would teach me rock tunes (steve vai, satriani etc.) on my spannish guitar! that gets your fingers working out! really taught me how to play fluidly.

having said that, if you dont aspire to being a really good guitar player then the above listed songs would be fine...

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys, ive tried to find some songs and it was quite difficult so maybe some links would rock.

as for songs, john lennon imagine, beautiful song!

..::JaReD::..

Likes Dirt
Eric Clapton Tears in heaven and Bob Dylan All along the watchtower and Knocking on heavens door or any other of thier songs

Ell

Likes Dirt
stairway to heaven will take a bit of work...
can anybody think of some good accoustic songs that are more suited to a nylon string (i.e. classical guitar) because some songs really dont have the same edge on the classical.
....and no saying classical gas, smarasses

wombat

Lives in a hole
Ell said:
can anybody think of some good accoustic songs that are more suited to a nylon string (i.e. classical guitar) because some songs really dont have the same edge on the classical.
....and no saying classical gas, smarasses
"Bizarre Love Triangle", Frente's version. It's played on a nylon string, and is very simple if you can do basic fingerpicking.

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot before; get ahold of Dave Grohl's solo accoustic version of "Everlong". It sounds awesome and is easy too. Elliot Smith's Waltz No. 2 sounds good too, you'll want a capo for that one though.
Chewy how's classical gas coming? You trying to learn it note for note, or fudge some sections?

OH! Kinda related, if anyone here can play the melody for Pachebel's Canon (Josh knows the deal 8) :oops: ) on the guitar, WITH the basic rhythm, could you please share? Cheers.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
www.mxtabs.net ... Tabs are generally easier to follow a bass... But they have some good guitar tabs there too (Drum aswell), for those that are sheet music illiterate, hey I'm getting there :oops: Forums, info, reviews etc....

Just learn simple '12 bar blues' chord progressions. Once you have mastered those, you can accompany the chords with a simple bass line. Very simple and universal. Great for jamming.
It's funner to improvise, rather to 'copy' a song, and as for tabs from the internet, they're a waste of time.

Adi

It's my birthday!
Thanks for the pointers guys.

Davo, I don't think that I am copying a song, I mean, if I like a song I'd like to learn how to play it. Not all the tabs are 100% accurate, so you have to mix and match a bit, or if you are experienced enough make your own tune.

Or maybe I understood you wrong.

bazza

look at me
medium_davo said:
Just learn simple '12 bar blues' chord progressions. Once you have mastered those, you can accompany the chords with a simple bass line. Very simple and universal. Great for jamming.
It's funner to improvise, rather to 'copy' a song, and as for tabs from the internet, they're a waste of time.
any links or tips on starting us on this? or even posting up some nice chords. just tab style or music whatever. i can read both. but not sure about the rest of these kids. tabs are good but you got no idea about the speed of the song. thats the only annoying thing. but you can usually pick it with your ear. i used to play for like 3 years. was shit but yeah. only moved onto basic classical/spanish type of stuff. used to be able to play chords all over the place. but i forgot most of it now. so yeah. want to give us some hints *sits on carpet surrounding guitar man*