achohol price rise...

Ivan

Eats Squid
I don't think you understand the full extent of the situation here. They are increasing the tax on pre-mixed drinks or "alcopops" as the media is portraying it, roughly by a dollar a bottle. Yes this is to target underage drinking, but it will not worsen "The teenage drinking crisis" as you may think. According to the statistics ( aussie wise ) the age at which children are subjected to alcohol is getting lower and lower, also it has been noted that there is a significant increase of teenage females binge drinking this is due to the introduction of these "alcopops" due to the lollipop taste and their target audience "Young adults", these drinks entice young females, teenagers and also young males to pick up drinks and give it a go. Think about it would kids be introduced into drinking by a hard shot of bourbon and think about picking up another drink after the burn from their mouth.

Its the fact that these drinks iintroduces young people into drinking that causes this problem. If they increase the tax it will detract young people from binge drinking, I'm not saying it will stop underage drinking full stop, but this will obviously significantly decrease the number of underage binge drinkers. My view, i think its great, the money the gov. makes for this increased tax is going into drug & alcohol education ( or so they say ). Anyway there are too many delinquents thinking they are "hard" drinking and smoking on the trains to the city. I actually think the laws are not tough enough on underage drinking and smoking!!

What i dont understand is why people continue to do things when they know its harmful to the human body! ok veldmandaniel if you know its bad for you then why do you continue to drink. Same goes for smoking why do young kids get into these things and continue if they know they will do harm to the body.
Urgh kids. If it was up to me i would smack every little kid who smokes and drinks excessively and ban spray paints ( sorry jonny if i had the time i would argue with you in the long lost "graffiti
" thread").

i wish i can go on but time is of the essence for me
Agreed.

What a bunch of girly whingers in here.:rolleyes:

Wah wah wah, my BoisonBerry vodka pop just went up in price. Wah wah wah.

The ONLY reason anyone drinks alcopops is because the sweetness hides the alcohol taste. It is a GIRLS drink.
Bingo, which is why this price rise will target underage drinkers.

If you want to get fucked up, do coke, it will be cheaper. ;)

I support the rise.

Eh? Are you sure your not just buying caster sugar?

Arete

Likes Dirt
We had a work party recently, and made the punch using 100% analytical grade ethanol. It was awesome, geeks rule.

I have nothing further to add.

Ivan

Eats Squid
We had a work party recently, and made the punch using 100% analytical grade ethanol. It was awesome, geeks rule.

I have nothing further to add.
Were your workmates aware they were having a party? or do they remember nothing before waking up without pants?

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Where your workmates aware they were having a party? or do they remember nothing before waking up without pants?
Waking up without pants is never a sign of a good night. Sure there are a thousand madcap reasons as to why you're in that gezebo sans underwear but the first thought that always goes through your head is:

"Did I shit myself in the night?"

That doubt plagues you for weeks!

:cool:

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Waking up without pants is never a sign of a good night. Sure there are a thousand madcap reasons as to why you're in that gezebo sans underwear but the first thought that always goes through your head is:

"Did I shit myself in the night?"

That doubt plagues you for weeks!

:cool:
A certain bloke in my course at uni left 3 different kinds of bodily fluids/substances, pants, wallet and phone at a club a couple of years ago... and somehow walked 6k home!

They made him clean up the mess when he went to retrieve his phone and wallet :D

floody

Wheel size expert
I just had a dull flash of mental activity. Bear with me.

How much would equivalent premix drinks to the alcohol content of a single large bottle of grog cost?

e.g. bottle of straight Wild Turkey 700ml $36 ~20 standard drinks, plus mixer if you must.

Most premixes were what, 1.5 standard drinks per container? and say $4.00 each? So you'd need 13 of those to achieve the same level of binging drunkenness or $52.

Thus...surely it was already far more expensive to binge drink on premixes anyway? Particularly as you can buy absolute crap spirits for ~$20 a bottle.

Hell, If I were to go on a bender it most certainly would not be with ANY premixed rubbish. Maybe I just see things differently to todays teen though.

Think about it would kids be introduced into drinking by a hard shot of bourbon and think about picking up another drink after the burn from their mouth.
Funnily enough, thats what my folks did. Perhaps that is why I have generally had a predilection toward a few nice bourbons to savour, rather than Woodstock and Cola by the carton.

Last edited:

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
That's the root of the problem I think, and the point of the legislation. Straight spirits let you know there is a kick in their tail, and the lesser kick of fortifieds, wines and beers also let you know to varying extents. Even if you go back to the old 'girlie' vodka and orange (not premixed) you still knew there was something in there that could bite you. Just one of the reasons you shouldn't hide alcohol in soft-drink bottles.

Plow King

Little bit.
I just had a dull flash of mental activity. Bear with me.

How much would equivalent premix drinks to the alcohol content of a single large bottle of grog cost?

e.g. bottle of straight Wild Turkey 700ml $36 ~20 standard drinks, plus mixer if you must.

Most premixes were what, 1.5 standard drinks per container? and say $4.00 each? So you'd need 13 of those to achieve the same level of binging drunkenness or $52.

Thus...surely it was already far more expensive to binge drink on premixes anyway? Particularly as you can buy absolute crap spirits for ~$20 a bottle.

Hell, If I were to go on a bender it most certainly would not be with ANY premixed rubbish. Maybe I just see things differently to todays teen though.
thats what I was getting at before, cheaper to buy a bottle of bourbon vodka what have you if there will be a price rise in mixer drinks which will in turn lead to more deaths, injuries due to alcohol.

nizai

Likes Dirt
I see now theyre talking a flat alcohol tax rate, which will mean Beer and Wine will also increase in price.

After recently going to New Zealand and having a Canuck girlfriend, I can give you at least two other countries perspectives.

In New Zealand a pint of beer runs at between 4.50 and 6.50NZ (or 4.20 & 6.10AU thereabouts). In Perth its $8.40AU for a LOCAL beer per pint. This flat tax proposal would add another 63c per middy (lets call it 80-90 per pint) to this price. Frankly, thats ABSURD.

In Canada a bottle of spirits runs at about $20AU. Pints at $4-5AU. My girlfriend came to Australia, went to the liquor store to buy her favourite rum and found it selling for DOUBLE the price.

Im not sure that New Zealand or Canada for that matter suffer any more greatly in regards to binge drinking compared to us. Perhaps people in those countries know how to raise kids.

Put simply Australia is the greatest consumer of these alco-pop shit drinks. Id be more willing to address the reasons why we have become so lax in our attitudes to drinking and passing these notions onto newer generations.

Cant see Taxing it solving it.

N

Ivan

Eats Squid
thats what I was getting at before, cheaper to buy a bottle of bourbon vodka what have you if there will be a price rise in mixer drinks which will in turn lead to more deaths, injuries due to alcohol.
Wrong,

Young teens/ girls drink alcopops because they don't like the taste of alcohol. They're not going to smash down the equivalent in vodka or bourbon, because the equivalent tastes more alcoholic, and less like a can of fanta/coke/whatever.

I don't believe taxation is the way the way to go. Community service or fines for parents whose kids are caught intoxicated, or buying their kids alcohol, would be more effective. These social problems need to be addressed in the home, not solved through taxation.

How the hell does a 14 year old get their hands on something so easily that has a legal age limit of 18? That's the problem.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
I don't believe taxation is the way the way to go. Community service or fines for parents whose kids are caught intoxicated, or buying their kids alcohol, would be more effective. These social problems need to be addressed in the home, not solved through taxation.
I really can't imagine there's that many parents out there buying their kids enough alcohol to get shitfaced on though.

Fining parents who buy their kids a four/six pack of vodka drinks isn't going to help.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I really can't imagine there's that many parents out there buying their kids enough alcohol to get shitfaced on though.
Well where do they get it then? 14 year olds are surely being asked for proof of age at Liqour stores.
Fining parents who buy their kids a four/six pack of vodka drinks isn't going to help.
That's why I suggested community service. If I were a parent, and I had to pay a fine, or do service because my kid was caught shitfaced, they sure as shit wouldn't be "going out" again anytime soon.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Well where do they get it then? 14 year olds are surely being asked for proof of age at Liqour stores.
Acquaintances, older siblings etc... As I said, it's not really plausible that parents are going out and buying alcohol en masse to get their kids drunk (except in Logan).

That's why I suggested community service. If I were a parent, and I had to pay a fine, or do service because my kid was caught shitfaced, they sure as shit wouldn't be "going out" again anytime soon.
My original point though is that parents aren't the ones providing the majority of alcohol to underagers and therefore legislation that will punish them is missing the mark and nothing more than a 'keep the populace happy and pretend we're doing something' kind of initiative.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Like I said, if this is a social problem, it needs to be addressed in the home, by the parents. In the end, aren't they the legal guardians of these kids?
Taxation effects everyone who consumes those beverages, and misses the mark even more.

Last edited:

Matt H

Eats Squid

You'd be amazed at what a 4 pack of cruisers can do to a 16 year girl...

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
thats the thing they dont, i know im my area, there are bottle shops that will sell it to you no problem, i bought my first 6pack, my self when i was 14... not once since then have i been asked for id buying alchohol, untill recently, where they now have the "if you look under 25, we have to ask you" sign's.

There is 14yr old girls out there, who are out at nightclubs etc, its not hard to get an older sister's ID, or a friends ID that looks like you, memorise their details, or even better get another id from them as back up. and you can buy alchohol from any where. or go any where.

Its the fact that parents are letting their kids do this, im not going to lie, my little brother use's a few of my old ID's, to get into pubs and clubs, and to buy piss.

You'd be amazed at what a 4 pack of cruisers can do to a 16 year girl...
fuck, if i slam a six pack of cruisers in 10 minutes im defintaly feeling it, untill it wears off in about 5 minutes.

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The problem with pre-mix's is that you can down one in 15 seconds, then move on to another one, and get drunk in minutes.