A thing or two about parenting..

wtr

Likes Dirt
No, I won't be having kids any time soon in the near future. But while watching The Supernanny at dinner, it made me think.

So how do you raise/plan to raise your child/ren? Changing times means changes in methods need to be made, and what could they be?

I've been experimenting them on the pets that I've raised since they were palm size little buddles of joy. And personally, I'd adopt the more traditional way when it comes to disciplines - inciting the fear of pain! But it proves to be rather difficult as I have a problem with compassion, fu!king hate that. When they were little, you raise your hand, and they would look at you with those big round eyes and overwhelm you with sympathy. When they get older, they sprint out the door. Swearing at them was pointless.

But when they do the right thing, like getting told to sit or come to me, I reward them with either food or wrestle with them. I think this model worked well so far instead of the cane approach, might even consider trying this on a real kid some day, but hopefully he won't turn out to be a pussy like the cats, tree climbing hippies.. But with real kids, I think I would reflect on my past.:)

But watching the Super Nanny show had me gagging, if only the kids on the show were early teens and knew martial art, or gifted at side tackling, if only.. hahahaha Super Nanny my arse, hahaha

I believe dads, mums, and parent-to-bes, or parentwannabes on farkin might have a thing or two to say, other than telling kids to shut up and type properly.:p

Discuss.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Theory is great................

Then you actually have children.

Theory goes out the windowsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Hardass parenting works for the large minority of people. If your kid is well rounded and generally pretty mature, riding his ass like a strict schoolmaster will do nothing but increace his resentment of you, authority and breed bad behaviour. Having a mutual respect for your teenager, treating them as a mature being (granted they'll make mistakes on the way - part of growing up) is a more effective means of bringing up a child.

If your kid is a little shit who doesnt do the right thing, different obviously.

Agree/Disagree?

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Why even have kids?
Australia is overpopulated as it is, as is the rest of the world.

Environmental considerations aside, I'm way too selfish, irresponsible, immature and downright stupid to raise someone that shares half my genes into a normal adult.

(mind you, my realisation of my own shortcomings probably makes me overqualified to be a parent, as stated in that Harvey Danger song with the lyric "only stupid people are breeding")

I'd be much happier if I could find a doctor that would perform a vasectomy on a young-ish man with no children.

If I DID have kids, I'd teach them to be overly confident, arrogant, but intelligent bullies, thus ensuring them a successful life.

S.

ex offender
All I know is that I've always had a bad reaction to people trying to force me to do things (sometimes it was necessary though) by means of punishment/threats/whatever. Sometimes there's just no way around that, and kids do sometimes have to be put in their place with Authority stamped all over their faces (especially when they know better but do something wrong anyway, people only have so much patience), but generally I've always found that I'm more inclined to do stuff if people stop and explain WHY I should/shouldn't be doing something. Empathy and comprehension are far more thorough motivators than fear, because fear only works when people think they might get caught.

That said, I've never had kids (thank christ, I could not deal with a little bastard mini-me running around terrorising people) and if I ever do my views will probably change again.

S.

ex offender
NCR600 said:
Why even have kids?

Environmental considerations aside, I'm way too selfish, irresponsible, immature and downright stupid to raise someone that shares half my genes into a normal adult.

(mind you, my realisation of my own shortcomings probably makes me overqualified to be a parent, as stated in that Harvey Danger song with the lyric "only stupid people are breeding")

I'd be much happier if I could find a doctor that would perform a vasectomy on a young-ish man with no children.

If I DID have kids, I'd teach them to be overly confident, arrogant, but intelligent bullies, thus ensuring them a successful life.
ahahaha, I completely empathise with that one.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NCR600 said:
Why even have kids?

unless you have been living under a rock or something, austealia is barely replacing its population...our inigration and birth rates(natural increase) are on the way out...:confused:

Martin.au

Likes Dirt
sockman said:
unless you have been living under a rock or something, austealia is barely replacing its population...our inigration and birth rates(natural increase) are on the way out...:confused:
True, but the world isn't.

No kids for me either. I'm such a bad Australian :D

NCR600

Likes Dirt
sockman said:
Australia is indeed barely replacing it's population. Problem is, that at 18 million, we're about 8 million overpopulated.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Damn! And Peter Costello and John Howard told me that my wife and I were supposed to have another two!

Goes to show sometimes you can't trust politicians...

wtr

Likes Dirt
FR Drew said:
Damn! And Peter Costello and John Howard told me that my wife and I were supposed to have another two!
You can always think of having kids as something else.. and getting paid while you're at it.;) That might explain why some of these teenage mums are out pushing prams not paperwork. No offense to those with genuine intention though.:eek:

I would like to think that having more than two kids could be somehow emotionally rewarding, maybe not financially. But then the problem of the world's overall soaring population comes in mind, perhaps we shouldn't think outside the square too much? We ARE living in an isolated continent with an aging population, I can see how "3 kids - 2 to replace the parents and 1 to actually increase the population" can be justified in our case.
Goes to show sometimes you can't trust politicians...

"I pity you, fool!" :p

RCOH

Eats Squid
I have 2 young kids & we are just going to raise them well. The only thing we have definitely settled on is that there will be no "physical" punishment (smacking/belting/cane whatever).

Growing up, I was hit less than 10 times by my parents (smack on the arse hit, not abused), my brother & I turned out fine. I just want them to explore & discover the highs & lows of life & be there to guide & support them through whatever they choose to do/have to go through as best I can.

I'm just taking it one day at a time. I think my head would explode if I looked to far forward.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In my opinion Punishment works, if done right... I much prefer my father's way of doing things, when you were punished it was explained why, and what we were doing was wrong. He very rarely hit me, or my brother and we both turned out pretty well... I have much respect for my father, and he taught me a lot about life, in the 18 years he had the chance to see me grow up.

By comparison - my mother's method, with me in particular was to belt the fuck out of me as much as possible. I'd often be left hiding under the bed, badly bruised, and fearing another belting for doing seemingly nothing wrong.

Now either way, I certainly turned out ok, I have respect for those who deserve it, and usually obey the rules of the community. However I seem to have aggression problems and very violent tendencies which most likely are the result, of my mother’s methods of trying to bring me up...

I both can and can't wait to have children, while Australia is overpopulated (more on this in a second) I believe parenting is a privilege. Despite John Howard’s idea that Australia is under populated- he is very wrong. Australia has plenty of room- however it does have the recourses to support these extra people. Schools are already over crowded, medical and other support services are already stretched to the limit, and in some places in Australia natural recourses are already stretched.

I give an example of my home town, which is a costal town, in Victoria known as Geelong; we are running out of water- our basins are well below average. Yet the council continues to permit builders to build some 10,000 new homes in the Geelong area every year. Yet refuses to realize that in 5 to 6 years our water basins will be completely empty, and do very little in the way of sustaining or increasing our water supplies.

Australia might seem under populated considering it's vast area; it's roughly the size of the USA, Canada and even Europe but quiet a bit of it is quiet inhabitable / arid for the most part. But thats abit off topic. :p

toodles

Wheel size expert
NCR600 said:
yeah ditto.

My parents brought us up in an environment where nobody yelled. Never a voice was raised, just quiet spoken deliveries regardless of our behaviour. If I ever end up with kids that I'm allowed near I hope to emulate my parents example. Oh yeah there were beltings, but nothing savage (friend of mine used to get the vacuum cleaner handle - fuck that). We just got the belt, and half the time the wait was worse than the sting. It sucked then, but in hindsight I reckon we got brought up alright.

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cúl-Báire said:

However I seem to have aggression problems and very violent tendencies which most likely are the result, of my mother’s methods of trying to bring me up... [QUOTE]

agree with you there Cúl-Báire.

I started life growing up with my parents. They lacked the skills to be "parents" so they turned aggressive at any chance they got.
and i now struggle from depression and have problems dealing with anger (mainly directed towards them not others).

I’m no where near an age that I would like to have kids, but if I do have kids I would like it to be based somewhat like how toodles parents sound...

Last edited: