4X cranks?

markfak

Likes Dirt
For Bombing around I reckon it's hard to beat Diabolos or saints for race I think XT for the price are hard to beat.

fairy1

Banned
If you want I can get you some Middleburn cranks new Aus stock for about $210 without BB. I'm getting two sets next week, they are stupid light but still strong. One set I'm getting is about 510g with a 32t ring.

At the moment I am running Atlas AM cranks and they are about to be scrapped after about ten very soft DH runs, I doubt they'd last a day on a HT. I'm not sure if the spline is beefed up on the Atlas FRs', they might be fine.

floody

Wheel size expert
Middleburn...Nice as they are, both isis and square taper BBs of practically all persuasions are just not going to cut the mustard.

Last edited:

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
SKF will work, good bbs there for isis. But, weight is then the issue with the middleburns. The bbs are over 300g, may as well rock the saints or slx.

fairy1

Banned
SKF BBs are supposed to be bad with Middleburns, a guy I know had two sets run this way and they both creaked. FSA is supposedly the go, my DH set will weigh just over 800g with 38t ring and BB.

Denn|s

Squid
Thread hijack! ( i figured it was better than starting another :p )

In looking at cranks i cant decide what i want, as noted in this thread the XT is high on my list ( the 26-36?-48T version)

im also pondering dropping the third ring and going for a saint etc.

Bike is a XC hardtail with a x.9 short cage rear d

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Cheers

fairy1

Banned
Huh, what the hell do you want Saints on a XC bike for? Also can you run a short cage with a 48t ring?

Denn|s

Squid
Huh, what the hell do you want Saints on a XC bike for? Also can you run a short cage with a 48t ring?
i was looking at the saints as a dual ring option, and i must be wrong but i thought the advantage of long cage was to take the slack out of the chain when on the granny crank ( which i don't use). Have i missed something :(

Bomb446

Likes Dirt
i was looking at the saints as a dual ring option, and i must be wrong but i thought the advantage of long cage was to take the slack out of the chain when on the granny crank ( which i don't use). Have i missed something :(
The question was more 'why do you need heavy duty cranks like saints on a xc bike that will never need to cope with that level of abuse?'

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also you should be running a short cage derailer................. They are usually reserved for 1x9 setups.........

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
Yes, the long cage not only takes up slack from granny but also the largest ring to.
To understand cage lengths better qualatively. The cage is to help take up chain slack from the varying gear ratios, so the more wider range of gears the longer the cage length needs to be.

Quantativly, Short cage - 1x9 set up (11-32 max, not sure if the 11-34 will make it), Medium cage - 2x9 set up (*note with this setup you might be able to run short cage depending on the ratios you have ie. 28-32 front, 12-25 rear. Or you might have to run long cage if your ratios are crazy wide.), Long cage for anything with 3 rings up front.

Denn|s

Squid
Medium cage - 2x9 set up (*note with this setup you might be able to run short cage depending on the ratios you have ie. 28-32 front, 12-25 rear. Or you might have to run long cage if your ratios are crazy wide.)

This is the main reason i want to get a dual ring. I know he saint is overkill but given the short cage i figured it to be better to opt for a saint or a stylo 2.2

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is the main reason i want to get a dual ring. I know he saint is overkill but given the short cage i figured it to be better to opt for a saint or a stylo 2.2
you do realise if you take the outer ring off xt's you get dual ring? just because it comes with 3 rings doesnt mean you have to keep all 3 rings on it

Denn|s

Squid
you do realise if you take the outer ring off xt's you get dual ring? just because it comes with 3 rings doesnt mean you have to keep all 3 rings on it
mmm, it just seams like a waste to buy a 3 ring and remove one. Though this might be a good option i could do that and have a bash guard on instead of the top ring. In doing this it gives me the option to ditch the short cage and move to a 3ring with a long cage.

Cheers

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you do realise how much more saints cost then xt's do you? i run xt's with 1 ring, was it a waste to do that instead of using 3 rings, hell no

what you want to do is just stupidly impractical when you can buy something cheaper and better for what you want but you wont do it because you dont want to remove a chainring

Denn|s

Squid
you do realise how much more saints cost then xt's do you? i run xt's with 1 ring, was it a waste to do that instead of using 3 rings, hell no

what you want to do is just stupidly impractical when you can buy something cheaper and better for what you want but you wont do it because you dont want to remove a chainring
i never said i wouldn't do it, i simply never thought of it ( stupidly!)

racebmx

Likes Dirt
i personally have a set of xt's, a set of hone's and a set of slx's. in the future i will only be buying slx's. they look awesome, feel awesome and cost less retail than xt does wholesale. and slx come in either 2 or 3 ring. and are stronger than xt with only a minor weight penalty.

Perpetual-Motion

Likes Bikes
SLX is the go man. Steel outer ring with carbon reinforcement for better durability[longer life] 22-36 ratio same as the atlas, steel pedal inserts, honeycomb bashguard. Manufacturer claims they are twice as stiff as XT you can even get a special shortcage f.d which improves tyre clearance. Run this baby with a saint med rear deurailer and you' ve got the option of using a close ratio rear cause the saint has a close ratio mode inbuilt, at the flick of a switch. It also has a 100 percent stronger spring than the xtr to help with slap. SLX is also way cheaper and easier to get a good price being so available. I should add though as far as I am aware 4x riders usually run a single ring up front with a guard/guide set up you can go a mrp long range like on the mongoose Khyber OR check out Wicked racing, they have a guide that has the front deurailler intergrated into it. But you gotta have the ISCG mounts 05 I think.

Last edited: