4X cranks?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Howdy Ya'll

Just thought I'd ask you lot what you think is a good crank for 4x and general bombing around the place.

Firstly,I've decided to stay away from truvative after some bad experiences, and they don't look too flash. I've been looking at Race Face Evolve DH, and RF's Atlas FR. Now, I don't think the atlas comes with a BB (would rather the crankset came with a BB), could some one confirm this for me please? Any other crankset sugestions will be taken seriously, even if your taking the piss outa it (to a certain degree, of course ;)).

Oh, and nothing too expensive please. I ain't the richest at the moment.

Last edited:

howie_two4

Likes Dirt
As said above by creetin...rider, try some Shimano ones; Saints, Hones, SLX, XT etc.
Light and strong, why not?

Ultra Lord

Them saints shure as hell look the ducks nuts, anyone know a price?

Does anyone have anything to say about the race face offerings i mention earlier? I get the feeling they are going to be cheaper then a set of saints.

Thanks for the replies.

dan-492

Likes Dirt
hey mate, on my new glory it has the Atlas Fr paired up with a race face x-type bb. do you mean is it included with the cranks in the price?

Ultra Lord

Yep. On the sight it doesn't say, but it tells you the Evolve comes with the X-type BB, which leads to the assumption that you have to order the BB for the atlas seperately, or use an old one provided it's compatible.

kholden_1992

Likes Dirt
deity vendetta crank set

good for everything

3-peice cromo crank set so there very adjustable with self extracting bolts and fifty million spaces

sealed bearings with dust caps

strong as like i recently put mine through someones car door and they came out without a scratch not to mention a number of sproket cases and hold up well against trees too:D

cheap no more then $250 (depends on stock market) or pay a little more for a titaniam spindle

and they look pretty flash aswell

Last edited:

Sic

Likes Dirt
Have you considered bmx cranks? The fly cranks and the Odyssey Twombolt cranks tip the scales at around the 800g mark now compared to 1168g for the saints so they are comparable (the saint weight includes chain ring of course) but they are a strong as hell.

If you put them with a light weight sproket (profile racing sprocket for instance) you would have a light weight tough as set of cranks that would look the business as well.

Maybe even a set of Primo Powerbites they go for around $240 with a Euro BB.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Raceface fr will do very well but they are quiet pricey..
saints similar kind of deal..

Both are tough as.. so depending on how rough you ride you could aim at some xt cranks which are a bit cheaper and quiet a bit lighter, but obviously are a little less strong.

Truvative holzfeller cranks look nice, and ive had no problems on my dh bike yet? They work fine. Similar weight to raceface fr's & saints.

The other option.. and what im doing on my new 4x build is going some chromo profile cranks with ti bb spindle.. similar price and weight in the end to the saints & raceface but allows me to run a better looking single sprocket instead of the normal mtb spider setup, and there pretty bombproof which ive learnt from my bmx race days.

One thing im not sure how the bb would hold up. My experience from bmx they were flawless but i havent used a mtb one.

Here's a pic i found on the web.

condog

Likes Dirt
well i disagree with you. Ive been running truvative's on my bikes for ages. The older ones the pedal insert kept coming out though. Im running holzefella OCT on both my bikes DH and 4X and they are really good, no complaints at all.

hobo tobo

Likes Bikes
In 2006, truvativ had a defect in their hussys and they had many many sets sent back.
i got mine replaced with 2008 ones and they go perfectly fine! maybe you just had the bad batch?

takai

Eats Squid
My vote is for Hones if you can find them. Pretty similar to XT im led to believe but with a steel pedal insert.

Ultra Lord

Will XT's be strong enough? I like to think I'm pretty smooth, and I look after my bike, but they are a XC/AM crankset, and i break my fare share of parts. Fuck it, I'm going to the LB to see what they can offer.

Thanks every one for your input. It's much appreciated.

floody

Wheel size expert

Saint M810. E13 LG-1 and 36t Guidering are also ideal accompaniments.

Initially I did think XT, and initially thought they'd be strong enough...But have seen a few bent ones now so I went saint.

150% stiffer than XT (claimed) 190g lighter than Holzfeller (measured), Shimano BB craps on both Truvativ and Raceface items...In short, its a walk up win.

Last edited:

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Saint M810. E13 LG-1 and 36t Guidering are also ideal accompaniments.

Initially I did think XT, and initially thought they'd be strong enough...But have seen a few bent ones now so I went saint.

150% stiffer than XT (claimed) 190g lighter than Holzfeller (measured), Shimano BB craps on both Truvativ and Raceface items...In short, its a walk up win.
xt's are fine, ive never seen a bent pair

ive got saints on my 224 and xt's on my arrow and i cant possibly see the need for saints on the arrow instead, saints do feel alot beefier, but on a hardtail where going fast means being smooth there isnt a reason for beefyness

im by no means the smoothest rider but im not a hack either and i cant fault xt's ive seen them take some serious force and come out perfect

ive got a set of race face deus cranks and had nothing but trouble with them. from my experience i wouldn't recommend them to anyone. i've had the crank bolt snap at the flange, and the spline is now so worn that the cranks wobble about 5mm either direction.
I've had to go out and order the saint's, so hopefully they'll do the trick. everyone i've asked has recommended the shimano's, so they must be alright.