29er weight weenie slander thread aka the big travel 29er thread

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Booyah, just fitted a set of Kodiaks to the WFO ;)

Added 2kgs to the bike and improved it 50%.

Next step is to add a further 2.5kgs - Manitou Dorado + Dissents.

Anyone else chasing big travel big-wheeled Nirvana?

Get to it people..

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Love em big and bouncy

Booyah, just fitted a set of Kodiaks to the WFO ;)

Added 2kgs to the bike and improved it 50%.

Next step is to add a further 2.5kgs - Manitou Dorado + Dissents.

Anyone else chasing big travel big-wheeled Nirvana?

Get to it people..
Good on you N + one,

Build her beefie and let her rip. My mate in ACT is selling a CCDB coil that might fit your WFO. His add is on here (Beetlenut) so PM him and if it is the right size l am sure he would let you try it. Wish l had the courage and finances to try the Fox 36 29er modification.................. imagine a CCDB on the rear and a Fox 36 Vanilla up front (not that you would get those Kodiaks up front with 36s).
Very interested in your Pistola - inbetween work contracts so not at the moment - but may l ask how tall / weight and how the XL fitted you?
Pics of your WFO please !!!
JD

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good on you N + one,

Build her beefie and let her rip. My mate in ACT is selling a CCDB coil that might fit your WFO. His add is on here (Beetlenut) so PM him and if it is the right size l am sure he would let you try it. Wish l had the courage and finances to try the Fox 36 29er modification.................. imagine a CCDB on the rear and a Fox 36 Vanilla up front (not that you would get those Kodiaks up front with 36s).
Very interested in your Pistola - inbetween work contracts so not at the moment - but may l ask how tall / weight and how the XL fitted you?
Pics of your WFO please !!!
JD
PM'd you mate.

Pics as requested (not with Kodiaks though).

Attachments

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And a tumble weed blows down a deserted street...

Common' people, we can't let these weight weenines ruin the wonder that is the 29er.

Anyone running a longer than 140mm travel fork yet? I'm hanging for a Fox F36 or maybe a Totem...

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Currently building a rigid 29er which will tip the scales at around 14kg...?

And the new Mariachi which will be about 13 the way I build it.

Not bad for 0mm of travel!

- Joel

Monks

Likes Dirt
yeah I reckon mine tips the scales past the 12-13kg, haven't weighed her yet, but I know she aint light. I've thought about the Manitou's, or the Marzocchi's, but just can't justify it.

I like big BIKES and I can not lie,
You other brothers can't deny!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Keep it going

Not a great photo but here is my Turner SUltan DWL in beefie mode. Never weighed it but certainly over 33lbs.

JD

Attachments

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice work gentlemen, good to see some nice solid builds.

Well, lloks like I'll be doing the rounds of the chair-lifted resorts this summer again so the search is on for a beefier fork for the WFO.

Options so far are pretty much limited to a set of Dorados or a modified F36.

Dorados are tempting but will probably limit the usefulness of the bike when not pointed downhill. A modded F36 might be the go but then I've gotta' risk a snapped arh and the tyre clearance may be a bit limited too.

Anyone got anything else?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Wb

Nice work gentlemen, good to see some nice solid builds.

Well, lloks like I'll be doing the rounds of the chair-lifted resorts this summer again so the search is on for a beefier fork for the WFO.

Options so far are pretty much limited to a set of Dorados or a modified F36.

Dorados are tempting but will probably limit the usefulness of the bike when not pointed downhill. A modded F36 might be the go but then I've gotta' risk a snapped arh and the tyre clearance may be a bit limited too.

Anyone got anything else?
White Brothers do a 150mm 20mm TA but not tapered (l think). Apparently they are very approachable (USA) and happy to set up forks for different rider weights and needs - they might be able to do a tapered steerer for you. It comes in coil too which will feel great.
You are a long way from the company in the US that carries out the 36 modification but if you brought a set off MTBr classifieds and had them sent there you will reduce shipping costs. I am sure there are other companies (even here) that can do it but these guys have done heaps and through trial and error, have nailed it. BCD Racing and the guy is Alex Morgan. It reduces travel to 5.75inches and you wont get really massive tyres in there - 2.35 Rampage is max. I just want something 120 - 130mms that feels good.
Good luck
JD

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
White Brothers do a 150mm 20mm TA but not tapered (l think). Apparently they are very approachable (USA) and happy to set up forks for different rider weights and needs - they might be able to do a tapered steerer for you. It comes in coil too which will feel great.
You are a long way from the company in the US that carries out the 36 modification but if you brought a set off MTBr classifieds and had them sent there you will reduce shipping costs. I am sure there are other companies (even here) that can do it but these guys have done heaps and through trial and error, have nailed it. BCD Racing and the guy is Alex Morgan. It reduces travel to 5.75inches and you wont get really massive tyres in there - 2.35 Rampage is max. I just want something 120 - 130mms that feels good.
Good luck
JD
Thanks for the info - you should look into the Marz if you're after that kind of travel. Not a bad fork.

Luke

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Grave dig biatches! Time to resurrect a thred that was before its time in every way.

It's a brave new world out there so show us your Transitions, Chromags, Banshees, Canfields, Honzos and even new Speccy Enduros!

Show me your slack head angled, short chain stayed and big traveled rig and I'll show you mine (when it arrives - new gen Nimble 9 on pre-order). Might even post a piccy of my new Banshee Prime when it arrives....

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Yes! Excellent grave dig. I have nothing to contribute apart from tales of my first 'proper' mtb; a Giant something something hardtail smothered in Sram X-7 pig iron with Rockshox forks made from bits of the last industrial revolution. Made me rather fit. Heavy bikes are underrated.

A green WFO would be an excellent addition to my dream bike collection. Can't the Lenzsport Mammoth be knocked up to some fairly epic travel options too?? What other large travel fork options (apart from Dorados) are out there for 29ers?

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes! Excellent grave dig. I have nothing to contribute apart from tales of my first 'proper' mtb; a Giant something something hardtail smothered in Sram X-7 pig iron with Rockshox forks made from bits of the last industrial revolution. Made me rather fit. Heavy bikes are underrated.

A green WFO would be an excellent addition to my dream bike collection. Can't the Lenzsport Mammoth be knocked up to some fairly epic travel options too?? What other large travel fork options (apart from Dorados) are out there for 29ers?
White Brothers Groove or a modded Fox F36 180mm is about it.

goatman

Likes Dirt
Avanti Vapour

Just got this Avanti Vapour 29er as an ex demo (thanks guys at Avanti Plus Narrabeen). Had the fork extended to 140mm and put some Easton Havens on it.

It has a Reverb Dropper on it now as well, about to add a Works headset to drop HA to 68 (currently 69). Handles the rocky stuff here on the Northern Beaches well, very stable at speed and on drops. Weighs about 13.6 now with lighter wheels and Tubeless.

Crap phone pic:

vapoursml.jpg

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
That is f***ing sweet. Didn't even know Avanti did the Vapour in 29. Are they doing the Torrent as well?

I want one of these. Adjustable to 140mm travel. That count? Seen some "robust" builds come in at the 14kg mark too which seems pretty reasonable.

large_intense-tracer.jpg

Attachments

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is f***ing sweet. Didn't even know Avanti did the Vapour in 29. Are they doing the Torrent as well?

I want one of these. Adjustable to 140mm travel. That count? Seen some "robust" builds come in at the 14kg mark too which seems pretty reasonable.
That intense is sweet.

Avanti now do two 29ers, the Coppermine is their new long travel 29er. I got to ride one a few months ago and it absolutely hammered! Really dialed bike for the money.