AM 2014 Transition Covert

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So it's been a long time since I have posted a bike in here! My latest purchase was a 2012 Santacruz Heckler. Was a wonderful bike, however just not aggressive enough. Last week I decided I would buy a new frame, and swap some parts out (in a bid to keep up with all these stupid changes in standards). The new frame had to have a tapered headtube and 142 x 12mm rear end. In the early stages I had my heart pretty set on a used Banshee Spitfire V2, however Jonny Belling (J5ive) from Jonny Sprockets had far to good of a deal for me. So the Covert I went!

It's a hell of a lot more aggressive, slightly worse in the climbs. Even though it's single pivot, and the Heckler was also, because the pivot is so much lower the bike feels a lot more stable in the descents. It really does ride well downhill.

At the moment it's a bit of a throw together bike, lots of clashing colours and what not, but it works, and works well!

Frame: 2014 Transition Covert - Gunmetal - Large
Fork: Rockshox Pike RCT3 Solo Air - 160mm
Shock: Fox CTD putting out 160mm of travel
Wheels: Hope Pro II Evo - Mavic 721 Rims (in 26") - First upgrade will be to 27.5, swapping rims to ZTR Flows or something comparable
Tyres: Highroller II Front - Specialized Butcher Rear Rear will be swapped to Hans Dampf with 27.5 upgrade
Brakes: Shimano XT - 180mm Icetech Rotors
Derailluer: Sram X9 Type 2
Shifter: Sram X9 10spd
Chain: Shimano XT
Crankset: Shimano SLX 175mm REALLY need to get shorter cranks. I am hitting everything at the moment, so if anyone wants a swap PM me!
Chainring: Fireeye NW 34t
Chainguide: None at the moment - Would like a top guide
Pedals: Atomlab Trailkings or Shimano DX Clips
Saddle: Fizik Tundra 2 Soon to be WTB Volt
Handlebars: Sunline V1 Flat 767mm
Stem: Truvative Holzeffeler 50mm
Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb running a Coke shim

If you like the look of this, there's a Medium left, only in orange: http://www.jonnysprockets.com.au/shop-online/transition-covert-275-frame-no-shock

Attachments

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Featuring forks from a nomad?
I possibly got the best deal in Australia on a set off used Pikes ;) They just happened to be off a demo bike. You are correct :p might grab some blue decals to match the frame.

Don't worry Will, it will be done!

Flow-Rider

Burner
There is quite a bit of tradeoff going to shorter cranks. I went from 160 to 175 and the power difference on climbs was quite huge. With the 160s I could climb anything, just about without striking, but I worked a lot harder even to keep up in group rides.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
There is quite a bit of tradeoff going to shorter cranks. I went from 160 to 175 and the power difference on climbs was quite huge. With the 160s I could climb anything, just about without striking, but I worked a lot harder even to keep up in group rides.
In fairness, 15mm is a huge difference in crank length. I went from 175mm to 170mm. I really noticed a difference in pedal strike but never notice any issues with spinning up on hauls.

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With the length the cranks are now, I really can't keep them haha. Inefficiency in pedalling is a lesser price then not being able to pedal at all.

A mate of mine has a 2009 Covert, and the problem was the same. I'm not talking scrapping, I'm talking complete pedal/foot impact on rocks. It's actually most common in rocky climbs. I'm hoping a 170mm crank will be sufficient, just cause I need all the help I can get in climbs!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
With the length the cranks are now, I really can't keep them haha. Inefficiency in pedalling is a lesser price then not being able to pedal at all.

A mate of mine has a 2009 Covert, and the problem was the same. I'm not talking scrapping, I'm talking complete pedal/foot impact on rocks. It's actually most common in rocky climbs. I'm hoping a 170mm crank will be sufficient, just cause I need all the help I can get in climbs!
Shorter cranks will help, but won't totally cure the issue.
Technique in tech climbs and pedal stroke timing are the only long term answer.

moorey

call me Mia
Nice one Kurt. My main choice was between the spitty and covert. Looks

it's single pivot
Wait, what?

Also, it's a 27.5" frame, yeah? Going to be hard not to get pedal strikes with 26" wheels.

Last edited:

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a single pivot. The swing arm pivots around the BB on the chain stay. It's like an actual pivot point.

I read the difference between 26" and 27.5" wheels was 15mm (radius, after tyres). I figured a 5mm drop in cranks should put me in the clear for now, but 27.5 will be my overall solution!

moorey

call me Mia
It's a single pivot. The swing arm pivots around the BB on the chain stay. It's like an actual pivot point.

I read the difference between 26" and 27.5" wheels was 15mm (radius, after tyres). I figured a 5mm drop in cranks should put me in the clear for now, but 27.5 will be my overall solution!
Sooo not a single pivot :hand:
15mm doesn't sound like a lot, but on my spitty, if I didn't chance the dropouts when swapping between wheels, I ran into real trouble.

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Link-driven single pivot" google confirmed ;)

Once I set the wheels in I don't think I will swap. I'll manage for now. Plus, I don't have the luxury of changing my dropouts.

It's a brave new world, 15mm axle, tapered forks, bolt through rear. I don't know what to do with myself!

moorey

call me Mia
"Link-driven single pivot" google confirmed ;)

Once I set the wheels in I don't think I will swap. I'll manage for now. Plus, I don't have the luxury of changing my dropouts.

It's a brave new world, 15mm axle, tapered forks, bolt through rear. I don't know what to do with myself!
Count the links...and what self respecting single pivot has linkage in the seat stay?
image.jpg
My nickel was linkage driven single pivot...
image.jpg
But I digress...sweet ride. The covert is prolly the nicest bike I've never owned :pout:

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Count the links...and what self respecting single pivot has linkage in the seat stay?
View attachment 310180
View attachment 310181
But I digress...sweet ride. The covert is prolly the nicest bike I've never owned :pout:
The rear axle is linked by one pivot to the front triangle.
Seat stay link only controls linkage ratio, think Kona, Commencal, etc.

The new range (scout etc) is FSR, axle is connected via two pivots from front triange:

Nice bike Kurt, are you going to paint the frame or re-sticker the fork?
:p

Last edited:

will2

Likes Dirt
View attachment 310180
View attachment 310181
Gee, Mr Moore that photo does it some justice. Those long, sweeping lines. Beauty.
If you really want one buy the one from Johnny (j5ive) you will easy make up the money on the spitty.

Last edited: