2013 Snow Thread

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Summers over, early bird pass deals are wrapping up...let's get psyched for the good stuff!

Where are we all riding this year? Got any new goodies you want to show off?

[video=youtube;U6lpBi39N78]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=U6lpBi39N78[/video]

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Job still not sorted so no pass bought yet. Applying at falls and Gotham so will wait and see. Any lodges after a f+b gun. Experience in all facets of the industry and will do anything to be there?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Heading to nz this year again for the 3rd year in a row. Heading there with 7 mates for 2 weeks staying at reavers in queenstown, planning to spend 10 days on snow. Will be there from the 5th july till the 19th july.

B.utters

Likes Dirt
I just finished getting my Level 1 & 2 NZSIA ski instructors certs in Niseko, now hoping to get a job at Cardrona for the winter. If that fails then I will probably just try and ski bumb NZ for a month or two.

D

Deleted member FN2187

Got my thredbo 365 pass last year when they were on sale. $695 for the whole friggin year, win!!! It's already paid for itself with dh runs over summer, so it's like I'm getting a free ski pass for winter.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
[video=youtube;fuaRoBZEu90]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuaRoBZEu90[/video]

Does anybody know of a house around Jindy that could be rented a week/fortnight at a time? Obviously cheaper than bed and breakfast style accommodation, and a bit more private than a backpackers...I'm thinking more along the lines of 6+ rooms, basically somewhere that 5-10 people could sleep in for a limited amount of time on a limited budget.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
I can't wait for this snow season. Last year was amazing, I finally got some decent boarding in and my skills progressed in leaps and bounds.

I'm heading back to NZ for two weeks (July 11 onwards) with 39 others from uni. I believe Sydney uni's also going to be in queenstown at the same time as us too. Can't wait! After that I'll be heading to Thredbo for unigames in August. There'll also be a ton of day trips to Buller and probably a week at hotham somewhere too. At this point, I have no idea how I'm going to fund this!

I'm also in the market for a new board and bindings. At the moment I have a triple rocker park board which I use for pretty much everything. I'm looking for something that'll be a bit more stable and fast, yet still playful. I'm planning on heading to japan next january, so something that'll handle powder would be nice. Any suggestions? Budget is around $1000, although I do have a spare set of K2 Cinch bindings floating around so bindings are not essential.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My standard go-to play board is a Lib Tech Skate Banana, because that's all I could afford at the time. I've ridden park on it for years, it's more than capable in deeper snow, and it just all-round shreds. I'm an absolute magne-traction believer, and would suggest it over anything else. In saying that though, I probably won't buy another Skate Banana. I was fortunate enough to do a bit of riding last season on a Banana Magic and a Travis Rice Pro, and chances are I will swap to one of those when the time comes.

Failing that, I'd also suggest a Smokin Superpark. It's another board that fits the do-it-all category, and I'm just as stoked with it as I am with my Lib Tech. I bought a 159 Clash Rocker quite cheaply with the intention of on-selling it and making a bit of money, but I decided to keep it. As a 159 it's too big for me to do much with it in-bounds, but it's a super playful powder board. I spent almost my entire Japanese season shredding this stick. You might find it a bit cheaper than a few Lib Tech's as well, so that's a positive.

Last edited:

dog boy

Likes Dirt
http://trusnow.com/Artec-Pop-Rocker-Snowboard-156---Men's.asp

I wonder if this would fit the bill? I haven't ridden one but came across it when looking at boards for a mate, kinda sounds like it might be good for what you want.
You wouldn't know until you ride one though I guess. Its a fair bit cheaper than buying a comparable board in aus, so I'm pretty tempted to get my self one.

Counting down the days now. I think there's about 85 to go. Praying for amazing conditions this year, the last 2 years perisher has seemed to get tonnes of snow compared to Nz, its gotta be Nz's turn this year right?

Last edited:

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Lib-tech was certainly high on my list of boards to check out. The Magne traction edges caught my attention and seemed to ride pretty well on the skate banana I had a ride on last season. I wasn't the biggest fan of the skate banana though, I couldn't get a handle on the lack of pressure under the bindings.

My local store has the 2013 travis rice on sale at the moment, in my size too.

http://melbournesnowboard.com.au/Lib-Tech/libtech-travis-rice-2013

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lib-tech was certainly high on my list of boards to check out. The Magne traction edges caught my attention and seemed to ride pretty well on the skate banana I had a ride on last season. I wasn't the biggest fan of the skate banana though, I couldn't get a handle on the lack of pressure under the bindings.

What do you mean by lack of pressure under the bindings?

Edit: Just saw the link...Yeah, $640 is pretty good for a local buy. You could probably get it a bit cheaper if you get it sent over from the States, but that would require some organisation...Does Melbourne have a dry slope somewhere? Or a dry ramp? See if you can demo one first and feel what it's like underfoot. I'd probably get it if I were you though. Hell, if I wasn't going to Canada next season I'd likely buy it myself. Keep in mind though that it won't be fantastic in most Japanese Powder, and is too long to be really playful around the mountain. It's a pretty good compromise though.

Edit2: It might be worth looking at DC boards if you're concerned about price. I'm not sure what the rules are in Australia but I know in NZ they're priced identical to the US, exchange rate aside. I rode two boards at a demo day last season and whilst I wasn't blown away, I wasn't really disappointed.

Last edited:

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
I demo'd a Libtech Jamie Lynn Phoenix when I was in mammoth over summer. By far the best board I have ridden. It just had so much bite, it was phenominal. Took it down some of mammoths nastier natural bowls and the board felt totally in it's element. Useless in terrain parks, but great on big natural features. Really stiff and just begging to be pushed really hard into turns. Didn't try it much on ice, but when i was on ice it bit in harder than any other board I'd ridden. My only complaint was it was quite tiring ride, simply because of the stiffness. For comparison, that week I demo'd a travis rice, a dark series, a burton custom X and a couple of other american brands I forgot. Otherwise was riding my technine which is a fairly stiff, playful all mountain board. Given the chance I would definitely pick up a Jamie Lynn

And just for fun, here is a photo of me dicking around. It was a toasty -3 or -4, which felt delightful after the day before's -25. So I took the chance to ride in the gortex formal vest my jacket came with.

crop.jpg

Normally I would have a helmet on. And sleeves.

Last edited:

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anybody know where I can pick up some entry level XC Skis on the cheap?

(I went XC skiing about 10 years ago and had tonnes of fun, however, then went to Whistler and have been hook on DH ski ever since - however, lift tickets are getting expensive so I thought I'd opt for 5 days DH/ 2 days XC ski each week this year to save a bit of dosh)

As always, I have 7 days booked in a 14 person lodge at Falls Creek, Victoria. My mate books it 12 months in advance every year, and we don't bother finding anyone else to go with us until about 6 weeks out - we always manage to fill the joint because it is very cheap when you divide the cost between so many people!

I've only been doing 1 week per year lately, but I'm going to see if I can sneak in another this year!

-Andrew

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid

(I went XC skiing about 10 years ago and had tonnes of fun, however, then went to Whistler and have been hook on DH ski ever since - however, lift tickets are getting expensive so I thought I'd opt for 5 days DH/ 2 days XC ski each week this year to save a bit of dosh)

As always, I have 7 days booked in a 14 person lodge at Falls Creek, Victoria. My mate books it 12 months in advance every year, and we don't bother finding anyone else to go with us until about 6 weeks out - we always manage to fill the joint because it is very cheap when you divide the cost between so many people!

I've only been doing 1 week per year lately, but I'm going to see if I can sneak in another this year!

-Andrew
Keep an eye on the notice boards at perisher P.O. usually some bargains there. Otherwise there's a ski swap sale every year at jindy just before the season starts off that's all helpful. I'm sure there's similar stuff at the vic fields as well. Xc gear always seems to be going cheap.

Moving to mel now for the next 12 months (for now) so will be hitting falls and hoth this winter. Will probably start my days on my 156 yes typo then shed some Park on my salomon 2012s. Missed season due to shoulder reco.. so much Stoke for some shredding

Last edited:

Ek155

Likes Dirt

-Andrew
The Ark Ski Shop in Artarmon. Harry's a good bloke.

dek_norco

Likes Dirt

I've got the 2012 t rice and i love it, its excellent in trees, pow, steep, deep, loves the jumps and loves charging. and recently bought a 13 skate banana, which I'm trying to sell. As i don't ride the park enough. PM for details if your interested.
also if you want cheap snow gear in AUS, i generally buy at the end of the season or mid summer. As the local shops have huge cuts on everything. I got my T rice and Union Force SLs, for the peak price of the board alone and saved like $450-500ish.

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
Alrighty fellas, what place would you recommend for accommodation in Queenstown for 3 people on a budget? The backpackers option is out of the question... Looking to be close to the centre so that way travel won't be an issue. Did a google search and the best value I can find is it Earnslaw Lodge.

Might be heading up sometime in June, and we will be hiring snowboards/skiis... So which skii/snowboard hire shop would be best?

Fire away.

Last edited:

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Reavers lodge is where I stay, will be my 3rd year back this year. Its a 10 min walk into the main bit of Queenstown. pretty cool place, foxtel, hot tub, common room, pool table, heaps of cool 20 something ppl to talk to / meet. Its like $35pp a night roughly I think.

http://reavers.co.nz/