2.8L Diesel vs 2.4L Diesel, Whats the difference.

MTBmaster05

Likes Dirt
Just wondering why are people telling me to stay away froma 2.4L D, Just wondering whats the major difference besides power then the 2.8L D, its only a first fourby, so it should be fine for a a little bit of 4wd, nothing crazy.

Cheers.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Without knowing the car model and year noone will be able to tell you anything.

MTBmaster05

Likes Dirt
Without knowing the car model and year noone will be able to tell you anything.
1991 toyota hilux LN106R 2.8L D
1990 toyota Hilux LN105R 2.4L D

Like performence wise, would the 2.4L be able to do light 4x4ing ECT. It is so much cheaper and much more in my price range then a 2.8L which is around 10g. the 2,4 is about the 5-6g thanks.

taquar

Likes Dirt
400ml, which is approximately not really that much. Just get the cheaper one, for a first fourby you won't need the 2.8, and if it's 4k more, fuck that shit. the Kms it's done does take some affect though...

MTBmaster05

Likes Dirt
400ml, which is approximately not really that much. Just get the cheaper one, for a first fourby you won't need the 2.8, and if it's 4k more, fuck that shit. the Kms it's done does take some affect though...
Both have done around 270k - 340k, For when it comes to decision time and what ever car i pick, i'm going to do it up, like get the motor re-conditioned ECT. But thanks for your info. When you say 400ml difference, what does that extra 400ml do to make it a ''better'' engine. ? Cheers

taquar

Likes Dirt
Both have done around 270k - 340k, For when it comes to decision time and what ever car i pick, i'm going to do it up, like get the motor re-conditioned ECT. But thanks for your info. When you say 400ml difference, what does that extra 400ml do to make it a ''better'' engine. ? Cheers
In laymans terms, it provides slightly more power. In such an old engine however, the power difference is about the length of a bees dick.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In laymans terms, it provides slightly more power. In such an old engine however, the power difference is about the length of a bees dick.
not to mention with the kays these cars have power would be negligible anyway.

weeman80

Likes Bikes
Just wondering why are people telling me to stay away froma 2.4L D, Just wondering whats the major difference besides power then the 2.8L D, its only a first fourby, so it should be fine for a a little bit of 4wd, nothing crazy.

Cheers.
Hey I've had a number of 4wds And also help out a wrecker in melbourne who does Toyota and nissans

Anyway we uses to do downhill riding in 2.4 diesel slow as hell but reliable i think it had like 450k anyway where I work the first of the 2.8 diesel were a piece of shits so many people coming in for transfer case gear boxes and diffs as well as motors and they aren't cheap to fix you would be better off with a 2.4 or buy a Nissan patrol Gq

PirateKing

Likes Dirt
I've had the opposite experience, while both engines go forever I would stick to the 3L motor (the 2.8) as it's a lot easier to find second hand parts for, being slightly newer.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm sure i read somewhere that the 2.4 copes with aftermarket turbo better than the 2.8...might be wrong but.

sam705

Likes Dirt
I have a mate with an '85 dual cab hilux. 2.4l diesel that's done a bit over 200k. With 31inch muddies it goes places you wouldn't expect it too!
I have a 75 series cruiser (2inch lifted, 33's) and he's been everywhere i have. It will do light 4x4ing easily!

Jimass

Eats Squid
2.4's go well turbo'd.
turbo is a couple of hungies off ebay, well worth it.
also, its cc, cubic centimetres, so im pretty sure its 400 cubic centimetres difference. Although my brain isnt working at the moment.

PirateKing

Likes Dirt
2.4's go well turbo'd.
turbo is a couple of hungies off ebay, well worth it.
also, its cc, cubic centimetres, so im pretty sure its 400 cubic centimetres difference. Although my brain isnt working at the moment.
1cc (Cubic centimetres) = 1mL (millilitres)

Boom. :cool:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
diesel has low rev torque, petrol has hi rev power. crawling up/down stuff with low engine revs works better and is less likely to stall.

if you take your 4wd swimming the electrics in a diesel survive better, no spark plugs/leads to get wet and short out.

there may be more...