1x10 without a chainguide

gassyndrome

Likes Bikes
Ok just got a new bike currently has 2 x 10 with what looks like a long caged deore rear derailleur that has a clutch. If I change to 1 x on the front to say a 30T or maybe a 32T the long cage doesn't create an issue except for ground clearance does it? Probably drop a link or 2 is all.
It didn't create any problems for me. Worked perfectly until I obliterated said bike.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Ok just got a new bike currently has 2 x 10 with what looks like a long caged deore rear derailleur that has a clutch. If I change to 1 x on the front to say a 30T or maybe a 32T the long cage doesn't create an issue except for ground clearance does it? Probably drop a link or 2 is all.
It'll be fine, just adjust chain length to suit the ring, as you said. The longer the cage the better, as it'll wrap more chain, so it won't get as slack in the smallest cog, or stretch in the big cog so you can be conservative on the chain shortening, and is better if you decide to bitch out with a 42t.

I'm pushing the limit of my mid cage derailleur on a 11-36, but I like my chain tight.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Dropped a chain for the first time on my hardtail on Sunday at the Wombat race. Of course, I discovered the clutch was off. Swearing ensued.

mapua

Likes Bikes
You stole my setup. Except for my Fourriers NW.
How are you finding it? First time for me setting up a rear mech and shifter from scratch and I can believe how simple it was. Been riding to work a few days this week and loving it so far. Ratios are good and it hasn't missed a beat so far...

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
How are you finding it? First time for me setting up a rear mech and shifter from scratch and I can believe how simple it was. Been riding to work a few days this week and loving it so far. Ratios are good and it hasn't missed a beat so far...
Piece of piss to set up. Have never dropped a chain riding Youies regularly and no drama on the DH trails at Buller either.

Only issue has been me forgetting to turn the clutch on sometimes but even then, just slaps a bit.

brad353

Likes Dirt
Interesting. 3D printed then milled. DIY or genuine Blackspire?

Hoped some people might appreciate that. Just 3d printed, not milled. We're just playing around with some different top guide designs to accommodate chainrings such as the 30 tooth where the spider arms on the M785 crank interfere with the standard guide, which normally stops you from being able to have the guide lowered to the correct position. This won't be the final design. The 3d printed guide is surprisingly strong!

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for posting brad. I've never had much luck keeping my chain on without a guide and am always interested in new top guide options. I'm sure there are plenty of others in a similar position.

I'm running the e13 xcx st at the moment but it's technically not meant to be used with a 32t ring.

I recently converted my '09 Stumpjumper fsr from 3x9 to 1x10.
I went with a 32t RaceFace NW ring, everything else XT including a 11/36t cassette. I just converted that also with a 42t Wolftooth GC, OneUp 16t (removed the XT 15t and 17t) and their Radr cage for the XT Shadow+ derailleur.

While running the 11/36t cassette (about 500k's total), I dropped the chain once. It wasn't particularly rough terrain at the time, so I was a little confused. Where I live it's pretty steep (Canadian Rockies), and I found the 36t tough sometimes so I did the 42t swap. This meant adding a couple links to the chain, which may have contributed to dropping the chain 4 times on it's maiden ride... The chain is as short as possibly safe with the rear suspension completely bottomed (chainstay length grows 15mm).
Each time it dropped, the terrain was fast and rough, so the chain was down on the smaller gear end of the cassette. It really pissed me off, like when I used to run tubes and I'd flat part way down something fun. I checked the clutch in the derailleur and it's fine. Maybe the chain gets a whip in it as the rear end extends (chainstays shorten) and I slightly backpedal to set up for a corner, dunno :noidea:

I just ordered a Moove top chain guide (BB mount), so we'll see how things go once that's fitted. Fairly disappointed, as I'm apparently the only guy around town that's having this happen.

Well it feels identical to the day I bought it, so I believe it's fine. I could try tightening it more I guess. It visually looked fine when I had it apart to swap the OneUp cage onto it, and everything went together fine with the clutch feeling good etc.

I'm going to try and mount my Gopro to the bike and film what's going on, might be interesting to see.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
brad353 said:
check this out...
Most intelligent post in this thread. Is that design copyrighted or is it going to be posted on one of those free online design boards?

A decent top guide design is the first thing I want to personally 3D print, I'll probably rip off the Specialized top guide design though.

Last edited:

takai

Eats Squid
Most intelligent post in this thread. Is that design copyrighted or is it going to be posted on one of those free online design boards?

A decent top guide design is the first thing I want to personally 3D print, I'll probably rip off the Specialized top guide design though.
Where did the link go? Post has been edited, anyone have the link?