1x10 without a chainguide

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Looks intermaresting, 44t bitch cog with sram and shimano cages, light as fuck, all but the bitchie machined from a single billet of steel, standard gear increments up to 32t. May need to leverage both kidneys though......

Edit: Yup, 295€ for shimano cassette and cage, 285€ for SRAM cassette and cage. +10€ if you want a lock ring....

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Looks intermaresting, 44t bitch cog with sram and shimano cages, light as fuck, all but the bitchie machined from a single billet of steel, standard gear increments up to 32t. May need to leverage both kidneys though......

Edit: Yup, 295€ for shimano cassette and cage, 285€ for SRAM cassette and cage. +10€ if you want a lock ring....
Looks great, but 44, who would need that and what mech would you use? I thought 42 was excessive at the cost of equal and closer gearing steps. On a winner being steel, would be cool if cheap.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Looks great, but 44, who would need that and what mech would you use? I thought 42 was excessive at the cost of equal and closer gearing steps. On a winner being steel, would be cool if cheap.
They make a cage, like the one up Rad, for both scram and shitmano, shitmano also needs a new b-link, hence the extra 10€. The make some niche shit, also have a 80 bcd NW ring, oval (they call them mellon) NW rings.

Crazy fucking Ukrainians, pair the cassette with a 28t ring and you could spin up the side of Ayers Rock....

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
ah, garbaruk.... i priced up a 50t melon NW ring for my CX bike.. was something like $250. i nearly shit myself.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
The new sram Gx looks like an ok price point for a dabble into 1x
For $302 you can get the Gx level cassette, derailleur and shifter.

doihoi

Likes Dirt
Finally changed to 1x10.. running X0 rear derail, X9 shifter, and using the SRAM XSYNC chainring (LBS did have to file down a few areas of the chainring for it to fit)
Haven't had a chance to ride it yet but boy does it look bare around that area, also the first time owning a bike that doesn't have a left shifter (looks odd lol)

1x10.jpg

Daisy

Likes Dirt
what about 42t & 20t or 42t & 18t for more evenly spaced gearing

I'm looking at going 1x10, from current 3x10 (11-36) XT Deore setup & want 42t out back with 32t up front (Merida 120, 2011 model). I assume the current rear derailleur cage will be long.
Most people are removing the 15t & 17t cogs & replacing with 16t. I've read most of this thread & searched other forums but couldn't find an answer to this........

Is it possible to remove 17t & 19t cogs & replace with 18t ?
or
remove 19t & 21t cogs & replacing with 20t ?

I'm tight for cash so will long derailleur cage work ok ?

My goal is to smooth out the gear ratios, as can be seen from below.

Attachments

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I'm looking at going 1x10, from current 3x10 (11-36) XT Deore setup & want 42t out back with 32t up front (Merida 120, 2011 model). I assume the current rear derailleur cage will be long.
Most people are removing the 15t & 17t cogs & replacing with 16t. I've read most of this thread & searched other forums but couldn't find an answer to this........

Is it possible to remove 17t & 19t cogs & replace with 18t ?
or
remove 19t & 21t cogs & replacing with 20t ?

I'm tight for cash so will long derailleur cage work ok ?

My goal is to smooth out the gear ratios, as can be seen from below.
Long derailleur will be fine. As for the cogs, it will depend on the cassette and availability of a single 18 or 20T cog.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
so it's possible to pull each of the gears apart on the rear cassette CS-HG81-10 ?
Pretty sure the three lowest gears on an SLX cassette are all on a carrier. Could be wrong though.

The others are all individual so you can do what you are wanting to.

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Also running 1x10 with Zee shifter and mech. I much preferred the SRAM setup it replaced, the shifter feels a hell of a lot nicer in my opinion.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Also running 1x10 with Zee shifter and mech. I much preferred the SRAM setup it replaced, the shifter feels a hell of a lot nicer in my opinion.
Zee is to XO as a body cavity search is to an happy ending..........but price though.

Minlak

custom titis
Ok just got a new bike currently has 2 x 10 with what looks like a long caged deore rear derailleur that has a clutch. If I change to 1 x on the front to say a 30T or maybe a 32T the long cage doesn't create an issue except for ground clearance does it? Probably drop a link or 2 is all.