1990's Trek 'Ejector Seat' rebuild

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Thanks to Matt C for the bike as listed in the vintage mtb thread, I picked this up a couple weeks ago. The bike was in pretty good condition, with only flat tyres stopping me from riding it after I put it together! I can remember my brothers mate having one of these back in the early 90's and can remember being in awe of the 'dual suspension'.

1.jpg

The plan is to pull it all apart, clean it, regrease/lube and possibly ride it on some not to rough trails!

First thing was to pull off the shock and see what makes it tick...

2.jpg

The elastomer 'tube' slid off to reveal what looked like a damper piston, when the top was screwed off. No oil to be seen.

3.jpg

Hmmm.... 17mm of shock travel!

4.jpg

All the drivetrain pulled off. Good thing I still have my 20 plus year old BB and crank puller tools!

5.jpg

Next step is to clean up the drive train and then look at the headset. Will be keeping an eye out for a new stem (Answer A-Tac anyone?)and maybe some new canti's and some above bar XT thumbshifters.

6.jpg

floody

Wheel size expert
Cool! Yours looks like a 92, I'm not sure they actually ran a damper; the body probably separates so you can grease it. '93 got an oil damper, still rode like a murderous pogo stick.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Very cool bike. I'm glad that the elastomers haven't decayed since 1992.

You have to give us trail report. It might be in its element when you are rolling along and not pedaling :heh:

Brett

Likes Dirt
I'm so jealous, my first proper mountain bike was a Trek 9000. If you ever sell this thing let me know!