06 Reba Dual Air, no travel !!

StanzaRallyMan

Likes Bikes
A while ago I bought some 2006 Reba Dual Air Forks off ebay. Installed them and everyhing worked really well. Thought it was about to to give them a service so pulled them apart. Everything went well. Put air in the positive and negativ chamber and all good. Tested on the road and everything working well, nice and supply with good travel

This afternoon, took all the air out of the negative chamber and then the positive chamber with the intention of meausirng actual travel to work out how much camber pressure I need to set correct sag. Put 100psi in the positive chamber and 100 in the negative. Now the suspension wont move! If I ride around the back yard the forks wont move. If I jam on the front brake it moves but makes a clunking sound on initial movement.

Not sure what is going on. Any suggestions?

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Silly question.

But in what order did you re inflate the forks. Did you do the negative first or second?

peanut

Likes Dirt
as per the manual, positive first, then negative
silly question do you have them locked out with the motion control on the damper leg?.
if not, they due suffer from hydraulic lock when the o rings wear out on the compression leg,oil passes out of the main chamber into the lower leg, it can literally happen overnight.
if you did not replace the o rings on the compression damper unit, time to do it, if you just put new oil in you can try and save it and reuse it.
you can either order a kit from sram from the lbs or get an o ring supplier to match the sizes for you.
there is a thread somewhere on mtbr which lists the sizes and where they go, use their search function and you should find it.

StanzaRallyMan

Likes Bikes
silly question do you have them locked out with the motion control on the damper leg?.
if not, they due suffer from hydraulic lock when the o rings wear out on the compression leg,oil passes out of the main chamber into the lower leg, it can literally happen overnight.
if you did not replace the o rings on the compression damper unit, time to do it, if you just put new oil in you can try and save it and reuse it.
you can either order a kit from sram from the lbs or get an o ring supplier to match the sizes for you.
there is a thread somewhere on mtbr which lists the sizes and where they go, use their search function and you should find it.
Motion control is not on. If you push REALLY hard on the forks they will move, but if I ride around the back yard they dont sag at all. If you take all the air out of both chambers if moves very easily, so its not the damper control unit leaking.

If I drop the pressure down to 50psi it moves as it should. I'm wondering if the pressure gauge is faulty and I'm putting way to much pressure in the system. Might need to check against another shock pump.

Any other ideas?

StanzaRallyMan

Likes Bikes
Ok found the problem. Went to work on bike tonight. Notice that the wiper seal on the left side fork was no longer on the lowers. Some form of air leak had blown the wiper seals out of the lowers. Take lowers off and the air valve was sitting in the lowers. The circlip that is supposed to hold the shaft in the uppers was obviously not put in correctly. When I was pumping in air, I was pumping up the air chamber as well as the gap between the uppers and lowers. No wonder it would not compress. Over the course of the day it had blown the seal off.

After a quick clean, put back together and heard that wonderful sound of the circlip spriging into the circlip grove. Before putting lowers on, put about 30psi in the positive and negative chambers to see if there was any airleaks. There was none and the lowers went on.

Now holding air and moving nicely.