06 giant AC

bhipsley

Likes Dirt
how come giant have done so little with the AC recently. the 05 was a good bike for the price and if u wanted to build it up but the 06 is now basically the same price as 05 but not as good... I know that giant have made it an entry level bike but it used to be a mad FR bike... Time for the faith eh!!!

Last edited:

topher

Likes Dirt
This is because giant are trying to make it a stepping stone for new freeriders that are coming into the sport, or people that cant get the cash for something like a faith. That being said the ac can look pretty good after abit of cash is spent on it.
It's all about making mtb more affordable for people who dont have bottomless pockets.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
bhipsley said:
Is it just me or do have Giant AC's been getting worse and worse every year (with exception for maybe '04) they did a good job in 2002 but since then it has just gotten worse and worse until this year they released the 05 which didnt have much going for it. Now theyve released the 06 which is ultimately the same but with a rear mech worth $30, is it worth the $1500 they chargin for it... Time for the faith eh!!!
Maybe its because giant are now selling Faiths at the same price as the old Ac's were?

Seriously, every year the Ac1 hovered around the $4500 mark and the AC2 for about $3300... and now they have better specced Faiths for that money. The Faith design is Giants new way forward, and hence, the AC is only just surviving because it has an ability to be built up really cheap.

The AC is a pretty poor design anyway, nothing to be spitting chips about.

hardtailer

Likes Dirt
Vulgar Taste said:
This is because giant are trying to make it a stepping stone for new freeriders that are coming into the sport, or people that cant get the cash for something like a faith. That being said the ac can look pretty good after abit of cash is spent on it.
It's all about making mtb more affordable for people who dont have bottomless pockets.

as above my mate rides a 05 ac and he recently put 05 boxxers on it( which looks sweet) and still the he has only spent 2300 on it ...

pretty good for what he has spent dont you think:)

johnny_boy

Likes Dirt
SoniX said:
giant is gay, lol
Good input dickhead..IMHO, the AC is a pretty good bike for someone starting out doing light DH, and as with all giants are fantastic value. Sure they aren't cutting edge technology, but I think Giant as a company are almost unsurpassed for value. Just my 2c. So, next time you give yours, please back it up in some shape or form, rather than claiming to know their sexual preference.

bhipsley

Likes Dirt
Ummmm Daver if u actually read my opening comment then u see that i have sed that the faith has taken over, and all i am saying is that the AC used to be a good FR bike and now is something for beginners to learn on or to upgrade, how much did u payfor ur boxxers, if u have still only spent 2300 on it then u must have got a good deal for the boxxers!!!

Last edited:

josh123

Likes Dirt
That's exactly right...it is for people who DO NOT HAVE BOTTOMLESS POCKETS, pull ya head in Hippo. I bought my AC 4 months ago and am still paying my parents back, mowing my lawn and people's and washing cars;) YEH THAT'S RIGHT...THE CARWASH! I have NO $$ let alone enough for upgrades (i'm workin on it) Very decent bike for the price!
They are gettin worse cos they arn't sellin enough bikes for a wider target range.

Last edited:

zids

Likes Dirt
SoniX said:
giant is gay, lol
wow, arent you the clever one, almost a wahole sentence, even a comer!

the old AC's have been replaced by the newer and better designed faith line, and thus the Ac is now an entry level free ride bike. I think in many ways its a good thing, we need more cheaper bieks that can be easily built up by newer riders. woudl any of us be here without the entry level bikes?

Jacko96

Likes Bikes
i am getting an AC ..i reckon they are awesome value !
1600 bucks for a mid range FR/DH bike .......thats tops !!!!!!

placebo

Likes Dirt
Daver said:
The AC is a pretty poor design anyway, nothing to be spitting chips about.
The AC was/is a well made bike that got better through its life.

I swapped an i-drive for my brothers 02 AC2 and rode that a bit, then traded it on an 04 AC2. Manitou platform suspension made an improvement, as was the better parts spec. The frame was made a lot better as well, the construction methods and finish on the 04 were awsome. The 05 frames were just as good by the look of them.

I have an 05 Reign now that I bought because the air fork and shock were much lighter, and I had got back into trail riding but still wanted long travel that pedalled well.

Funny how Kona, Trek (to name a few), and most ironically Turner, do the faux-bar in many of their bikes now.

and1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jacko96 said:
i am getting an AC ..i reckon they are awesome value !
1600 bucks for a mid range FR/DH bike .......thats tops !!!!!!
mid range? try low range.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I remember buying the original AC1 when they first came out, it lasted only a few months but it was probably one of the most fun bikes I've ever owned.
I have bought some very expensive bikes in my time riding, so what if the component spec is average and the bike isn't the best and most up to date suspension design. I am a SRAM fan but I'd ditch the shifters immediately. The important thing is Giant bringing a decent bike for people on a budget. I had heard Giant were not going to bring out the AC for '06 so when the green thing arrived in the shop I was surprised. I can't wait until a little further down the track you'll all be talking about faith's this way. It's the nature of the game.

twomsta

Cannon Fodder
i have the 04 ac2, great bike and has never failed me. I realise the componentry has changed over time, but has the frame design/materials and build quality? i know that the suspension rocker arm used to have three adjustments now two, but are there any other differences?