Search results

1. Ricardo68

9 speed cluster on 7 speed hub?

Hi folks, I've inherited a crappy old bike. It's an old 7 speed with terrible chain and cluster, I want to 1x9 it. Is it possible as is or will I need a new rear hub? Cheers, Ric
  2. Ricardo68

Battle of the $1k roadies ... best frame?

The budget: $1k The use: 25km each way commute Why best frame? I have a tri bike with 105/ultegra gear I'll be cannabalising The options: Giant Defy, Scott Speedster, Avanti Sprint, Orbea Aqua, Merida 901, Azzuri Pavia?, Specialized Allez, Malv* A4, Trek 1.2, Other please specify. Hi there...
  3. Ricardo68

Commute Ideas - St Ives <->Mona Vale

Hi folks, I'll have a nice little commute Mona Vale <-> St Ives and was thinking of taking a few different routes. The obvious one is along McCarr's Creek Road but I was hoping you guys out there would give me some alternative ideas I could explore on the mountain bike. I was thinking I...
  4. Ricardo68

Angry Doctor 50km entry - now sold

Hi folks, A friend can't make the ride this Sunday so her ticket is to the 50km version is up for sale. I think it was an $80 entry fee ... NOW SOLD Cheers, Ric
  5. Ricardo68

Helping out the fire victims - Howto (cash or blood, both needed)

Lets help our fellow Aussie mates in need ... Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org.au/vic/services_emergencyservices_victorian-bushfires-appeal-2009.htm Calls can be made to the Red Cross Appeal hotline on 1800 811 700. The Red Cross also needs blood donations to help treat bushfire...
  6. Ricardo68

Five Tens $40 - Sydney

Hi all, I was out Parramatta way last night and wandered into Anaconda on Parramatta Rd. In one of the cheap bins there were brown Five Tens for $40, the buggers didn't have my size though!!! Like I say they were brown, looked a bit more like a walking version but still had the sticky soles...
  7. Ricardo68

Wildhorizons discussion

Edit: Title changed to be less inflammatory... I did the Highland Fling last weekend, but my electronic tag didn't register on the finish line and I registered as "DNF". Apparently I am not alone as the presentations couldn't take place, they farked that up. I sent an email with my time...
  8. Ricardo68

Riding Vs Walking hills

I'm wondering if there's a rule of thumb regarding the energy consumption on riding vs walking hills. It sounds counterintuitive but I've generally found riding all but the steepest hills leave me less screwed than walking them. I've thought this for a while but the Fling has really made...
  9. Ricardo68

83 year old dies on sydney to the gong ride

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/cyclist-dies-after-sydney-bike-ride-crash/2008/11/03/1225560680570.html An 83 year old died on the MS Sydney to the Gong ride yesterday near Thirroul, about 75kms in. Firstly, my condolances to his friends and family. Hats off to the guy for getting...
  10. Ricardo68

Where to buy swing arm and bearings?

Hi folks, I'm looking at building a dually and I'm wondering if anyone knows of somewhere I can cheaply/easily buy a swing arm for it. Otherwise I'll have to make my own :( Something like Trek's Evo sized, not too huge or small (looking or around 4.5"-5.5" travel). If anyone has something like...
  11. Ricardo68

Lies & tyre size unravelled!

I may have just realised something you all already know but ... Ever had a 2.35 tyre that looks smaller than your 2.1 sized tyre? Well I just found out the number is a pretty crappy guide on tyre size. I noticed this and asked the guy at the LBS what it's all about. Well ... There is...
  12. Ricardo68

How hard's the gong ride?

I'm doing a bit of mtb riding and the mates have roped me into the 90km gong ride. How hard is it? The profile looks hilly and the Bald Hill looks like a killer, what's the ride like? Is it within the average joe's reach?? Thanks in advance, Ric
  13. Ricardo68

New Hornsby area trails need your support now

"Unstructured Recreation Strategy" Closes 21 October! http://www.hornsby.nsw.gov.au/onexhibition/index.cfm?NavigationID=1440&ArticleID=8531 This has been going for a while but there has not been significant support and is likely to fail if people like us don't support it. So, if you...
  14. Ricardo68

WTB - Lyric Springs X Firm

Item: 07 Rock shox Lyrics coil springs - X Firm Location: Sydney Item Condition: Good Reason for buying: Have Mediums, need x-firms Price and price conditions: Either swap or outright purchase, price nego Extra Info: Pictures: I need to change the medium springs in my rock shox...
  15. Ricardo68

Ti springs for Lyrics? (Rockshox)

Hi folks, I've got to change springs on my new forks & I was wondering if you can get Ti coil springs for them... I can't seem to find anything online ... are they available? Cheers in advance, Ric
  16. Ricardo68

Who carries Malvern Star Oppy? - Sydney

Hi folks, I'm keen to check out the Oppy, it looks great in pics and sounds like killer value ... plus I'd love to buy Australian (I think Malvern Star's owner Pac Brands is in my superfund so I'd be buying off myself :) ). Where in Sydney carries it? I have checked a few stores without...
  17. Ricardo68

Epic rides

Hey folks, Me and some friends are thinking about doing a multi day epic mountainbike ride of up to a week, preferably in NSW (we're Sydney based) ... has anyone done something like this and has any suggestions? I *think* we would have car support (depending on how a friend's wife feels at...
  18. Ricardo68

Force Vs MkIII Vs Reign Vs Trailfox Vs Mission etc

The riding: Heavy trail/all-mountain The rider: 100kgs, 6'1" The old bike: SC Heckler (too small) The bank balance: Less than $4k The options: GT Force 1.0 - $4k Good - Feels great riding on the street outside LBS, zippy and good fit ... Bad - Feels heavy although only 13.5kgs claimed...
  19. Ricardo68

Sold, please delete

Item: Santa Cruz Heckler - Medium (rider height 5'4" to 5'10") Location: Chatswood/St Ives, Sydney Item Condition: Very very good, all parts new! Reason for selling: Too small for me Price and price conditions: Options - $2,800 complete $1,200 frame $1,600 frame and fork Prices...
  20. Ricardo68

Sold Please delete

Item: Santa Cruz Heckler - Medium (rider height 5'4" to 5'10") Location: Chatswood/St Ives, Sydney Item Condition: Very very good, all parts new! Reason for selling: Too small for me Price and price conditions: Options - $2,800 complete $1,200 frame $1,600 frame and fork Prices...