Search results

1. S

shimano xtr m980 cranks 170mm

Item: shimano m980 cranks 170mm. Location: I'm in Sydney but travel / postage considered Price range/Willing to Pay: Depends on condition Extra Info: any condition considered as long as damage is only cosmetic (i.e. not where anything attaches). Mainly interested in the arms, rather than...
  2. S

2016 Kowalski Classic 18th Sept

latest newsletter came through 20 mins ago. 2 takeouts: - camping is allowed - rego closes at 7:45am
  3. S

i had a look at the race schedule, and the half kowalski doesn't start until 9:10am. I can't remember what time it started in recent years, but seems later than i recollect. i also notice that race-day rego is open until 9:30am. is that a typo? the last waves (the QTR distance) starts at...
  4. S

well that sounds good. i wonder if they'll allow camping.
  5. S

take 2 ok, let's try this again. how's the weather down in canberra/queanbeyan been lately? has the ground dried out a bit over the last few weeks? i see there's a few mm forecast for next week. hopefully the event can go ahead....
  6. S

Was gonna camp. Now not possible. Accom options very limited. Any ideas?
  7. S

thanks for the info - it certainly sets my expectations. if the locals could report back on conditions later in the week, that would be great.
  8. S

https://selfpropelled.com.au/event/kowalski-classic/the-race/ So, who's going this year? I'm doing the half for the 4th time - hopefully, if it isn't cancelled. Better still, who lives down that way, to give us some weather and trail conditions updates later this week.
  9. S

Budget/Value XC race bike

have you considered a chinese frame? the exchange rates have moved significantly since i did it, but i built up a pretty decent hardtail based on a direct-from-china frame around the budget you are talking. about half the budget was blown with some nice wheels (1400g 240s hubs carbon rims etc)...
  10. S

Thredbo New All Mountain Trail

Mercalli v4
  11. S

i haven't yet finished with youtube. i found the youtube suggested format etc, and it looks like i already have everything at their preferred settings except for maybe running a too high bit rate. i'll have one more go at it at a lower bit rate and see if it comes out clearer. i just can't...
  12. S

I've uploaded a short clip of the AM track: https://youtu.be/Om8mFRJSHqM It is probably a bit over half way through the track. I am still mucking around with YouTube. I can't seem to get it to retain the quality of the vids.
  13. S

i managed to get a few runs in at thredbo on both saturday and sunday afternoons. i rode the flow trail the whole time, except for ending each session with a run down the new AM track. as others have mentioned, the flow trail was pretty dry (i didn't get on it until about 1:30pm) except for...
  14. S

i just happen to be doing a trip with the family to jindy (visit friends) that weekend. it looks like i have a leave pass to ride thredbo that saturday afternoon, so i'll be taking the bike (6" titus AM bike) down. i've never actually ridden in that area before, but it sounds pretty promising...
  15. S

Wylde MTB trail Western Sydney Parklands

i've now done a couple "training" rides out there on the xc bikes with some mates. i reckon they have done a surprisingly good job of it. it is a CROSS COUNTRY track that could handle all sorts of riders of varying abilities, as the level of difficulty riding it gets harder/easier the...
  16. S

XC/ endurance wheelset. Ck? Crossmax?

that's a pretty good weight for an alloy rimmed 29er wheelset. probably a bit under what i expected. when i built my wheels, it seemed like the major cost was in the hubs. the rim cost didn't seem to hurt anywhere near as much. IIRC, they were about $400 for 2 rims (shipped etc), and it...
  17. S

maybe my issues are from using the road cassettes, which have more non-carrier loose cogs on them. i dunno how the roadies get around this. i am now currently running a red cassette on the commuter, but it shifts crap compared to the DA cassette (and I even switched to road shifter/der to try...
  18. S

no, i mean 54t ratchets. the dt hubs are actually 18T standard. 2 x 18 = 36. 3 x 18 = 54. they sure are asking ridiculous money for what they are: https://fairwheelbikes.com/dt-swiss-hub-small-parts-p-6025.html why the no-54t ratchet for mtb? i did hear that the 36t are weaker than the...
  19. S

what he said. now that my dt240s hub has the 36T ratchet in it, the faster engagement on the chris king hub on my other bike is not so noticeable any more. yeah, it is still a little noticeably faster, but not enough to sway me towards the CK so much any more - and i tend to take advantage of...
  20. S

Kowalski Classic 2015 - 20 Sept - Entries Now Open

zero congestion issues for me this year after seeing the bunching at the ribbon for wave 2, i decided to avoid the risk of what happened last year and tagged onto the back of wave 1. best decision i ever made. other than having to contend with a few dreamers at the back of wave 1 at the...