What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Jpez

Down on the left!
There was a few blokes here I had a bit of respect for, you were actually one Jason, lately in threads non related to bikes I have had bit of a rethink. I then decided to visit here every few days and only read bike only threads. I've only been coming here every 2 or 3 days, or when I think some people may be interested... faark I've done a derailleur, anyone interested ? You blokes are driving this forum into the ground.

Best of luck to you Jason !
And just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in! Lord Pacino.
Projecting there much Ozzy? I was in a thread about bikes. You popped in and said something completely off topic. For a while there not long ago you had something to say in EVERY single fucking thread. Bike or not bike related. Whether you had a clue about topic or not. So who’s dragging the forum down? Show me lately where I’ve gone off topic with BS? You won’t find much.
I also don’t spend as much time here anymore for the reasons you’ve said. But I’m not the one to go off topic today. And looks you can’t take a joke.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
looks you can’t take a joke.
FFS Jason, there's no cunt on this earth that can take a joke like I can, not offended by anything, racism, sexism, whatever... I'm Irish and have taken every joke like its. That may be the problem, I have no boundaries.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
There was a few blokes here I had a bit of respect for, you were actually one Jason, lately in threads non related to bikes I have had bit of a rethink. I then decided to visit here every few days and only read bike only threads. I've only been coming here every 2 or 3 days, or when I think some people may be interested... faark I've done a derailleur, anyone interested ? You blokes are driving this forum into the ground.

Best of luck to you Jason !
And just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in! Lord Pacino.
Projecting there much Ozzy? I was in a thread about bikes. You popped in and said something completely off topic. For a while there not long ago you had something to say in EVERY single fucking thread. Bike or not bike related. Whether you had a clue about topic or not. So who’s dragging the forum down? Show me lately where I’ve gone off topic with BS? You won’t find much.
I also don’t spend as much time here anymore for the reasons you’ve said. But I’m not the one to go off topic today. And looks you can’t take a joke.
Calm the farm yew two.

The real enemy is out there.

Cable Tourism is here to ruin everyone's (future) bike purchases.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
new bike came with Shimano RT66 rotors... but the new China version so is stamped.... kinda badly... is ting-ting flat but not surface flat like old RT86.

let's call it Stampy....
Stampy would need to be worn past its wear limits to make full pad contact.

combined with local tracks being overgrown with stuff (maybe paspalum?) that ended up coating discs, pads and lower legs with copius amounts of sticky resin shit... Stampy started howling and shuddering..
One doesn't like ones bike to complaineth so mucheth.

View attachment 407587

visit to one LBS netted me some Magura Storms (+LBS premium...), so Stampy can now fucketh offeth :)

also found nice new lid at other LBS that is super comfy... (Giro Source.. was not on my list...)

sort of a little dissapointed they are not close to online prices, BUT.. being able to try stuff on and and finding what does and doesn't fit?
not priceless (I'm no Dentist).. but well worth the "gap" :)
I’ve got one of those stamped ones on the back of the Orange - it came good after having the shit beaten out of it with metal pads over a few muddy rides. Knocked all the high spots off it nicely :)

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Following on from getting the sickest little rig set up, went to swap out the seat stays cos I needed sum more length.
Absolute fucking pricks at sram have made a hanger out of fucking plastic?! Got to 22 Ugga duggas before it snapped. Required is 25nm. Now unless my wrench is out (in which case I’ll see ya in the fuckwit thread) I’m pretty stumped.
IMG_7928.jpeg

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
got to 22 Ugga duggas before it snapped. Required is 25nm. Now unless my wrench is out (in which case I’ll see ya in the fuckwit thread) I’m pretty stumped.
I have already confessed for same.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Mountain bike talk.
This wasn’t today. This was a couple weeks ago on the first day of the TRans NZ. first day was a brutal 37km and about 1450vm of climbing and descending at Craigieburn.
I was hearing lotsa crick cracking coming from my hub or somewhere but being out in Castle hill there was no mechanics or shops until we got to Queenstown in 2 days and without pulling the whole thing down on trail I couldn’t identify exactly where the sound was coming from.
shifting sucked too.
So I finish the day, roll back into the garage of my lodge, pull the cassette off and find…..drum roll. This.
IMG_0786.jpeg

This hope Freehub is meant to have bearings in there. But the bearings are not there. They weren’t on the floor below the bike, they definitely weren’t on the trail. They have just teleported into who the fuck knows where. Bearings are hard right? They don’t just grind up into dust.
So the next day was gonna be another big day. Maybe 1000vm. Again. No shop around. So I put the cassette back on and it’s wobbling all over the place. Nope. Not gonna work. So pull the cassette off again and we decide to (by this stage I had about half a dozen amateur mechanics, beers in hand standing around offering opinions.
Zip ties. We jammed the perimeter of the bearing shell with vertically inserted zip ties and this shored up the whole deal. Cassette back on
And believe it or not without an outer hub bearing it got me through another day. Albeit with horrible shifting and a bit more noise.
So we get back to the lodge that morning and jump on a mini bus for the 7 hour bus ride to QT. I’m madly on the phone to every bike shop trying to get a Hope PRO4 Xd freehub. Hope pro 5? No problem. Not compatible though. Pro4, sorry. No have. We can build you a new wheel for a $1000 though! Yeahnah.
Problem was we were arriving after closing time. 7 pm. One shop said they’d stay open and fix a few bikes. The rest said nah man. Can’t be bothered. Well I get there and they had no bearing for it. One of the most common bearing sizes and they no have.
well that was Fcuked. So I speak to Megan the organiser and she’s got one last Hail Mary.
A dude from Bikaholic is going come to the shop at 8pm and open up for me. So I start riding to the shop think maybe if he can’t fix it I can make it through the rest of the race? Who knows. I got through that day and I sure as hell didn’t want to hire a whole bike to steel a wheel from from for the next 4 days. $$$$
Well 500m from the shop the entire freehub seizes. I had to scoot the rest of the way like a balance bike. QT IIS a hilly fucking place! As promised Ryan the legend is at the shop waiting and rips the free hub off, and it literally explodes into pieces. No fixing it. It’s completely and utterly rooted.
Aaaaaaaand no Xd free hubs to replace it. He said sorry man. I think your fucked.
So I remember seeing an HG freehub in his used parts drawer a few minutes earlier. So we chucked it on and a new xt cassette and away I went. Back in action. Finished up at 10.30pm, missed dinner and briefing and the next day i dropped in some hazy ales as a thankyou for the legendary service at Bikeaholic. As he also sorted a couple of other small issues*
I went from 10-51 to 11-46 so the earing sucked and it cost me a first place spot ;) But got me rolling
The ones here with a good memory might also remember that two zip ties held my brake pads in on the final stage Trouty at the Trans TAS a couple years ago.
Moral of the story. ALWAYS carry zip ties.

*other small issue. A guy on the shuttle trail was worried about his fender getting damaged. Removed it by taking off the bleed nipples that attached it and the knob didn’t put them back in. So half way there someone noticed that all the bikes from his to the back of the trailer are covered in oil. You guessed it. His fucking fork oil. Well all the affected bikes were carefully pulled off without spinning the wheels or rotors and cleaned with rotor cleaner. Problem sorted. For me I had to jump on the bike straight away and get my bike fixed. I didn’t see any oil on my rotor but sure enough there was and it fucked my front pads and cost me a new set and a full clean.
Shit happens.

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
And everyone love pretty pictures right so here’s a few photos. Some not mine
IMG_0810.jpeg
IMG_0844.jpeg
IMG_4411.png
IMG_0872.jpeg
IMG_4372.jpeg
IMG_0979.jpeg
IMG_4507.jpeg
IMG_0774.jpeg
IMG_4203.jpeg
IMG_0766.jpeg

just a random assortment. With over 8k climbing and close 11k descending didn’t take too many photos. Unfortunately the chopper was landing just as we reached the 1st stage of Alexandra. A medic(a very handy Canadian rider) was heading to her station and went OTB and messed herself up really bad. Multiple multiple broken bones. Vertebrae, ribs, clavicles. List goes on.
Having a medivac chopper land as you’re about to drop into your first stage is pretty sobering.

Attachments

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
And everyone love pretty pictures right so here’s a few photos. Some not mine View attachment 407631View attachment 407630View attachment 407629View attachment 407628View attachment 407626View attachment 407620View attachment 407621View attachment 407622View attachment 407623View attachment 407624
just a random assortment. With over 8k climbing and close 11k descending didn’t take too many photos. Unfortunately the chopper was landing just as we reached the 1st stage of Alexandra. A medic(a very handy Canadian rider) was heading to her station and went OTB and messed herself up really bad. Multiple multiple broken bones. Vertebrae, ribs, clavicles. List goes on.
Having a medivac chopper land as you’re about to drop into your first stage is pretty sobering.
One day I'm going to give this race a go.

(might skip the grenading rear hub and fork oil anodized brake discs but)

Jpez

Down on the left!
Same. On my list before I’m too old and fat. Trans Tas would be good too.
Trans TAS was a lot harder. Only 5 days but a lot more demanding. Maydena, Natural selection, all the EWS tracks at Derby. More chunk. I’m 51 and I have those moments where I think maybe I’m too old for this shit but there was a guy on this and also the Trans TAS race that is 66. He’s a mild mannered, slightly built English doctor. He rode better than some of the young bucks. Rode every bit of tek, sent every drop and jump. Also pedalled up hills more than ANY body else. Age. Pfft. It’s just a number. So I keep trying to tell myself.