Coffee addict needs help from smart person

Slow moe

Likes Dirt
Hoping one of you clever people here may have an answer to my terrible predicament. Somehow (I actually don't not how) a M5 x 17 screw has snapped inside my much loved espresso machine (inside the grouphead). I am at a loss as to how to get it out. Hoping that maybe there is an easy idea that my caffeine deprived brain hasn't thought of.
The issue is that it has snapped pretty much level with the plastic it goes into.
I have attempted to use an inch of hacksaw blade to cut a groove into it so as to use a screw driver but, after much frustration, have come to the conclusion that I would need to cut into the plastic to create a big enough groove to get and real purchase.
Likewise, there is not enough sitting proud to get with pliers, etc.
Added complication is that there is not enough room to get a drill between the offending screw and the base of the machine.
Further issue is that it doesn't seem possible to buy a replacement for the piece of plastic it is in.
Is my only remaining option to remove the whole group head (major surgery from what I can see online) and try with a drill?

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Photos, might help to visualise what you are dealing with.

Initial though was maybe with a dremel you count cut a slot in the offending screw

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Before you do anything, see if you can mask off the plastic to avoid annoying scratches when your hand slips and puts a groove in it. Niothing worse than seeing a a big slice of mssing plastic to remind you that you have sausage fingers.
But agrre with fjohn860, a dremel is a magic device for these kind of predicaments.

Last edited:

ausdb

Being who he is
@Slow moe what sort of machine is it? It looks like an 'appliance' machine rather than something fancy. You would probably have to disassemble it more, hopefully it's not put together with anti disassembly screws.

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Just undo every screw until you have a million pieces, throw about half a dozen away, crack the shits with it and let the wife take over.....

In about an hours time, crack the shits again, when you find wifey has "lost" various screws and bits that were "essential" to the whole process...(which you had under control in the first place, obviously)...and demand that she buy you a new machine....Easy!

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I would take it to a professional. The group head screws on Breville's are shit. They usually round out and require using the shower screen as a wingnut to remove.

ausdb

Being who he is
@ausdb breville dual boiler. No tricky screws, just think I need to pull half the machine apart to detach the group head.
Ok that's a bit more than an appliance. Have a search on home barista or coffeesnobs for advice. You are probably not the first one to encounter this.
You would need to remove the group/ assembly, also being one of those you may find one that people will be selling parts from.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I reckon there is a chance that if you pop the seal out then the plastic whatever it is will also come out giving you access to a few mm of screw.

I've had a lot of home espresso machine (appliances) by breville...they get treated as disposable. The closest I have ever come to caring for them is running some white vinegar dilution through it every now and then to flush the crusty shit water leaves behind...which I am guessing is fluoride because it the governements big plan.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
If the screw isn't too tight you might be able to get it by squeezing a rubber band between the screw and whatever you can find to use as a driver that's got the same diameter as the screw.

Slow moe

Likes Dirt
So, after spending way too long trying to cut a groove in the screw, pulling the machine apart and determining that there wasn't much of a better way, then spending even more time trying to cut a groove... I have found a stockist that will send me the whole group head, express post, for $160.

Biggest issue was that any cutting wheel had to be tiny so as not to hit the surround (which turns out is coated metal, not plastic). That meant trying to file and drill it out with a knock-off dremel.

I figure that once my new one turns up I'll pull the old one completely out and then, one day when I have a decent workbench again (currently in a rental and the dining table is my only workbench), I will have a good go at the old one with a drill and screw extractor.

Thanks for the wise thoughts

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
New group head gets you back in the caffeine... sort the old one out later and have a spare for next time the screw breaks.

Was going to suggest you get a small jeweller's flat bladed screwdriver on an angle with the tip of it in that partial groove you've made and gently tapping on it, like you would a pin punch, in a counter-clockwise direction to reverse the screw out. Perhaps apply some lube/penetrant first (to the screw) to give yourself the best chance of it turning.

ausdb

Being who he is
So, after spending way too long trying to cut a groove in the screw, pulling the machine apart and determining that there wasn't much of a better way, then spending even more time trying to cut a groove... I have found a stockist that will send me the whole group head, express post, for $160.
Whilst quickly Jabubuing this subject I saw a couple of comments about having the screw only "just" tight, maybe something to watch out for with the new one.
Hopefully it wont take too long to arrive, or have you got a caffeine backup solution in place. Its hard to beat the Daiso knockoff V60 holders and filters for bang for the buck you can thank @poods for that tip.

Slow moe

Likes Dirt
Caffeine back-up in place - a waeco handpumped thing I have for camping. It makes a reasonable coffee but not the same as the real thing. And is pretty slow to use for someone who is always running late in rhe mornings.
Apparently the new part was placed in the express post this arvo. So, knowing aus post, I should have it by the middle of next year