Deviate Highlander - more common around here than a Farkin Banshee

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
@Jpez @The Reverend I had to shave a bit off the bottom of this cage to stop it hitting the frame.

This exact cage was used on my Santa Cruz for 18months and never lost a bottle. 750ml fits in a med but touches the cables, anything smaller fits in easily.

Flips either way for left or right access.

Bank breaking price though :oops:

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Today my bike started to creak, then more, then really bad... full squawk 6 times on every pedal stroke.
The idler... pulled out the 3 bolts and the idler popped off. The inside bearing stayed in the frame. The ceramic bearings felt good but there was dust in there. Cleaned the dust from the idler surfaces and bearing inners, greased and back to silent.
I suppose this is going to be a regular maintenance job downside to have a free spinning idler.
Nearly 400km on the idler with no seals so not that bad, only took 10 mins max with grease and a 4mm Allen key.
At least I know what the signs are now and it deteriorates really quickly. Started yesterday with a slight noise then got gradually worse over the next 25km.
It's an embarrassing noise, like a completely trashed bottom bracket.

ozzybmx

I have been looking a little bit deeper into my Idler issues.

Not so much issues but I want it to spin freely, like the Forbidden high pivot bikes.

Have made this video for Ben and sent it to him 10 mins ago. Its UNLISTED so only those with a link can see it. Its easier taking a video than explaining it over 20 emails.

As you know, I pulled out seals, replaced SS bearings for ceramic ect... but its useless unless I have an 'in spec' idler. I am thinking my bearing surfaces need to be about 16.97-16.98 to provide a tight fit on the 17mm internal bearing without stretching the inner casing.